This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carple Tunnel

So I'm dealing with it and dealing with higher doses of aleve and certain stretches to try and alleviate some of the pain and numbness. But is anyone else dealing or dealt with this and how are you or did you deal with it?

I wear a wrist brace and ibuprofen. I can't go bowling or play tennis, the pain gets horrible! But the brace helps. Keeps everything straight and lined up. Sometimes a heat pack if I'm home doing nothing.

Comment

Carpal tunnel issues can be really unpleasant. Especially since once you've got swelling in the tendons, they continue to abrade, making the swelling worse.

I know that when I start having issues, I will stop doing any action that requires me to stretch my fingers and keep my hand relaxed in my lap with the palm resting in a neutral position towards my body as much as possible until the issue passes. Using the mouse on the computer is actually one of the things that causes the most irritation, as I typically use mine with my hand laid almost flat on the desk, draped over the mouse. To reduce that particular problem, I try to allow my fingers a more natural curled position. The same goes for typing; rather than stretch the fingers to reach the keys, it's better to move the entire hand to the correct position.

And, having had friends who've gone through surgery for such issues, I absolutely don't continue doing whatever it is that caused the pain to start up. I make a living by typing quickly and accurately, so I'm not about to endanger my livelihood or permanently degrade my quality of living without serious reason. If lives aren't on the line, I'm not going to abuse my body after it's already giving me warning signs.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Find a masseur who can identify trigger points; also research what trigger points are and how to find and identify them yourself. ("The Trigger Point Workbook" is a good resource, you'll also find them referenced often in fibromyalgia websites.)

Trigger points in the muscles that lead to the 'carpal tunnel' tendons can cause pain in the tendons, and thus often cause a misdiagnosis. It's very logical when you think about it: the trigger point causes the muscle to be constantly tighter than it should be, which causes a constant pull on the tendon..... yeah.
        The trigger point also usually traps one or more nerves that lead to those tendons, causing 'referred pain'.

Anyway: for the minority of carpal tunnel patients who actually have trigger points in the muscles, fixing the trigger points fixes the problem. If it recurs, it's because you've continued doing the type of movement which causes trigger points in those muscles, ergo you need to have the newly-generated trigger point fixed.

Trigger points can be generated by repetitive movement, excessive strain, fibromyalgia, and a few other things. Fibro is my cause, repetitive movement is the likely cause in 'false carpal tunnel' trigger points.

Now for real carpal tunnel suggestions:
        Braces will hold the wrist supported and give it time to heal; they can also help remind you what NOT to do with the injured wrist. If you can get a doctor or a physiotherapist to help you with the CT and selecting a brace; do so. If you're in the US and your job doesn't cover medical, at least ask the pharmacist's help. Please!

I believe CT sufferers can be helped with exercises which can help strengthen the muscles - both the ones leading to the CT tendons, and their opposition, as well as ones which surround and support the related joints. I am NOT an expert, so PLEASE see an expert to confirm this, and find out which exercises to use.
        One hobby which my instincts tell me would train up all the muscles of the hands and wrists is 'contact juggling*': the manipulation of a ball with your hands and arms so that it seems to float over your body. Again, DON'T take it up if you already have hand/arm issues without medical advice. But it could be a good preventative hobby, I think.

* leads to a video.

For typists, consider looking into an alternative keyboard.
        For using a mouse, consider using a trackball, joystick, tablet (graphics tablet, not tablet computer), touchpad or foot mouse. Or one of the many other types of pointer-manipulation devices: check out games sites online, as well as disability sites.

Me, I use a trackball. That way I'm using the parts of the body designed for fine motor control (fingertips) to do my fine motor control, as opposed to using gross motor muscles (upper arm/forearm) as per a regular mouse.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Seahat, please tell me that was a in general post since I would hope after knowing eachother for a long while you would know I work for the USPS.

Anyhoo beyond that it mostly happen while I'm at work and am casing mail. It feels like my fingers have all turned into sausages and the skin is about ready to pop. A doc once said to just stop doing everything and let the arm hang. Touching my finger tips together in a rhythmic movement till the puffed feeling would go away. But that didn't work very well or fast and it didn't look good to be standing there doing nothing.

I've tried a brace while at work but they feel so...clumsy while catching the mail and looking bulky.

It worked a few times when I could have my chiropractor look at my shoulder, elbow, and wrist. It was always weird to have him hit one or two spots and my arm would almost fizz with electric charge in it and my fingers felt like fingers.

Ill have to try the heat idea. Might be something for after I get home from work. Maybe that icy got stuff?

Comment

Andara mentioned problems with a mouse, and that she types. So yeah, the typing/mouse was largely for her - though clearly you use a computer at home.

For pain management, heat, cold and massage/touch signals override 'slow pain' signals - such as dull pain, numbness, and achey pain.

Hm. The chiropractor being able to release the issue sounds interesting. Almost as if your joints are being pulled out of position. Do you have a friend who can help you relax the muscles that control that arm and shoulder?

If -and only if - it is that, then heat will help relax the muscles, as will massage and conscious-relaxation. If this is the problem, it will take time to resolve things - first the muscles need to let go, then the joints will slip gradually into place. But IF that is the problem, it's at least an affordable fix.

Talk to your chiro, if you can afford a visit with him.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I wear braces on my wrists at night. I usually don't have many symptoms unless I'm doing a lot of hand sewing or cutting. I have also found that ice on the carpal tunnel area helps reduce that swelling.

I've never tried trigger points for CT. I've used them for my back in the past; I actually found them on my own. They're great for my lower back especially.
              "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Well it's worse in my right hand and my chiropractor thinks it has to do with a old swim injury. One that was never treated right cause our athletic nurse was mostly only there for the cheerleaders, foot ball players, and soccer players. Any other sport and you would get a blank look.

Anyhoo he does a clicker thing. Does my spine, hips, neck, shoulder blades, neck again, base of my skull, knees, ankles, and then works on my shoulders, elbows, and then wrists. Usually having to do my right shoulder blade again.

He says the electrical feeling I get is from nerves suddenly getting through loud and clear to the brain. If I got my normal days off during a time he has a spot open ill go every other week and I can get away with four aleve over the day.

But he did point out that he can only do so much and some day I might have to go the surgery route.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Andara mentioned problems with a mouse, and that she types. So yeah, the typing/mouse was largely for her - though clearly you use a computer at home.
                  I'm on the computer pretty much... always. I only really have problems when I do something repetitive for, say, more than five hours continuously. It's amazing how much just a minor shift in position can help. I just have to keep my obsessiveness in check.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I use a mouse pad that comes with a gel wrist pad. That works wonders for me since i use a computer all day. I also use a gel wrist pad for the keyboard. It helps keep your wrist elevated an aligned. See some examples below.

http://www.officedepot.com/mb/skupage.do?skuid=356247

http://www.officedepot.com/mb/skupage.do?skuid=666780

I should add that the keyboard and mouse should be at a certain height. I have a keyboard tray that fits under the desk top. At one time the keyboard would sit on top of the desk and it would make it difficult to type even with the gel wrist rests. The other thing is to make sure that you are at the right height at the desk when sitting down. It helps a lot when you sit correctly. I had a pamphlet around here about the do's and don't of how to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome. I do not know where it went.
                    Last edited by CaptainJaneway; 10-18-2012, 04:31 AM.
                    "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

Be careful with the wrist rests that you don't get into bad habits.

I find that if I have a wrist rest, I tend to not move my hands as much, meaning that I reach with my fingers more, which is an excellent way to guarantee a stress injury.

Plus, I can't get past the idea that they must be a hot-bed of germ collection. Ick.

^-.-^

Comment

Some of them have microban in them. Otherwise you can spray some Lysol on them. The gel really help. It takes a lot of pressure off the nerve in my hands.
                        "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

Working...
                        X