This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a name?

Can anyone explain why several times a day I nearly call my very very Russian co-worker "Jose"?

I don't personally know anyone named Jose. My co-worker has a very stereotypical Russian name. Has a pronounced Russian accent. Yet, the first name that comes to mind when I go to address him is not "Boris" but "Jose" Gah!!

Luckily I've caught myself each time and haven't actually called him Jose. Yet.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

My ex-fiance had a lovely name. It was not Jane.

The girl who introduced the two of us was named Jane.

The two of them looked exactly nothing alike.

Yet for the first several weeks I knew my ex-fiance, I had this ridiculous desire to call her Jane, because to me she seemed like a Jane, and not her non-Jane name.

Weird, that.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

My mom does quite often. I remember, back when I was in the hospital for pretty much an entire month, my mom constantly called my favorite nurse Sheryl. The nurse's real name was Kathy, but we didn't actually find this out until the day I was discharged.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Sometimes people just seem like they ought to have a different name. For me it usually has nothing to do with their nationality or appearance, sometimes a different name just attaches itself to them in my head.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I never done it, even though I am so horrible at names. But I get it done to me all the time at work. 2 years ago my ex gf got transfered to to a different store. My coworker kept calling me her name. Or something else. And they do that to my dogs too. Its hilarious. One got Maxwell from Sterling Onyx . The other was closer Valentino from Karuso Valentine .

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
            Sometimes people just seem like they ought to have a different name.
            Heh...reminds me of the time I was out to dinner with my friend Little Red. For some reason, the very blond bartenders were being very silly, and decided to go by the names of Shaniquah and Shantell, or something similar.

Jumping right in, as I was in an equally silly mood, I introduced Little Red (who is Irish-German) as "Marisol" and myself as "Hassan al-Akbar." The latter of which I later decided was my new official terrorist name, if ever the authorities came a-calling. (I TOLD you it was a silly day!) Of course, to date the closest I've come to actually BEING a terrorist is ordering and drinking Irish Car Bombs.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
            X