Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you remember things like cups, plates, napkins, forks and extra trash cans and bags? Also if needed and you participate, set out containers for recycling. Finally, make sure you have pest repellant of some sort if this is going into the evening.

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
      *takes notes on Jester's post* I'm not a terribly talented cook, so I really appreciate the tidbits I can glean from those who are! Really, brownies are my best thing.

And thanks for the offer of the recipe, but unless someone asks if they can help out, I think I'm at the max I can handle for this round!
      I guarantee you make far batter brownies than I do, as I don't bake.

As for the recipes, of course you know what you can handle, but some of the recipes I have are very simple "dump and mix" type things. I can, for example, usually knock out my black bean and corn salsa (which isn't even MINE, as someone on this very website gave me the recipe years ago) in under ten minutes...and that includes the time needed to chop cilantro, chop green onions, open the cans, and rinse the beans and corn. Hell, it will take some people longer to read this post than it would for you to make the recipe.

In any case, for this or other events, my offer to share recipes stands, with the usual exceptions of my secret recipes (chili, spaghetti sauce, German stew, etc.) Other than me, no one knows the secrets in those recipes, and when I die, they all go to my niece Dragon, and no one else. (I told Dragon this, and she asked me not make that too well known, as she thought her life might be in danger if too many people knew about it. )

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I guarantee you make far batter brownies than I do, as I don't bake.
        Off topic, but...

Haaaa, I see what you did there!

Comment

You make one lousy typo....

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            You make one better typo....
            ... and the flies gather ...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

As far as balsamic goes, you can either marinate in it, or you can reduce some of it (Just put in a pan on the heat, then remove after the water starts to cook down and it gets thicker and more syrupy.) Spoon some up and then drizzle it on the cooked mushrooms. Yummy!

Comment

If you're gonna do portabellos as sandwiches/burgers, I have to say the marinade is the way to go. It just permeates every part of the mushroom and makes it so burgery, and yet so mushroomy at the same time.

Just my opinion.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Pasta salad is easy. Boil pasta, drain and rinse with cold water, put in bowl with mayo, sweet relish, diced onion and chopped red pepper. Stir, chill in fridge and serve

Comment

Oh, but pasta salad can be so much more interesting than that.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Yes, pasta salad CAN be so much more than that, I agree with Jester.

Example: tonight's dinner we threw together LAST night while stuff was getting cooked for yesterday's dinner.

Shrimp went on the grill, water boiled for pasta. Tossed it together with some spinach and greens, tomatoes, onions and garlic. Added a greek vinaigrette (olive oil, balsalmic vinegar, oregano, black olives, cracked black pepper, etc) and topping it with feta cheese tonight.
                      took all of half an hour, tops, from prep to in the fridge. Should be really good, and I'm looking forward to it.

As for cookout ideas, I have notes...I just need to find them, more to come to this thread from me, later!

Comment

Oh, I know they can be but that's a super easy one that can be made in bulk for not that much and is that same/similar as to what you can buy in the store deli. I've made pasta salads with all sorts of stuff, including a salmon one after fishing.

Comment

Shpepper: thank you, I would have forgotten those! That would have been unfortunate, lol.

A friend just RSVP'd and asked if he could bring a pasta salad- apparently his fiancé has an awesome recipe. We shall see!

I got most of the shopping done today, as I only had one appointment at work. Walmart is not my favorite place to shop, but today it wasn't bad at all! I only went there because I had a gift card, but I'm glad I did. The cashier was really nice, and we ended up chatting about pregnancy. As I was paying, she called for someone to bring my huge cart out and load my car for me. "It's so hot out, you shouldn't have to be out in that!" And the guy who did the carry out was really friendly as well.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
                            Pasta salad is easy. Boil pasta, drain and rinse with cold water, put in bowl with mayo, sweet relish, diced onion and chopped red pepper. Stir, chill in fridge and serve
                            That's not pasta salad. That's macaroni salad.

Pasta salad is made with either penne or rotoni. I make 2 kinds. The kind I make with penne has roma tomatoes and roasted red bell pepper strips, fresh mozzarella strips, and a balsamic-tapanade dressing (basically, I make tapanade and add extra EVOO and balsamic until dressing consistence). Sometimes I add cut up artichoke hearts. The other I make with multi-colored rotini and has red onion, red and yellow bell peppers, cucumber, green peas, garbanzo beans (chick peas), cannellinis, olives, red grape tomatoes and yellow pear tomatoes, and Italian dressing.
                            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                            X