This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was only a matter of time.

Everybody out there, please keep the Colorado Springs area in your thoughts/prayers/etc. The wildfire west of here pretty much blew up this afternoon - it's covered everything that was between it and the city itself, and apparently there are houses inside the city burning now. From what I've seen on the news and what I can see from my house, there have to be at least 40-50 houses and buildings burning.

It looks like lots of people around here are going to lose their homes tonight. It doesn't help that we're seeing a record-setting heat wave around here (I think seven or eight days in a row over 100 degrees now), along with single-digit humidity and 20 mile an hour winds. There's rain in the forecast for tomorrow, but you can't put much stock in weather forecasts here.

It's incredibly eerie, there's a bizarre orange glow everywhere and there's several fires visible from my window.

Good Lord. Be safe, please keep us posted. Worried about you.

Comment

I saw that on the news last night.

I have a friend in that area that I haven't chatted with in the last several days, and I'm hoping he's safe.

I'm in sou Cali, so I'm no stranger to big ass fires, but that's still some scary shit.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Andara, ditto. I remember some big ones back in 03 and 05. The 03 one got fairly close to where I lived.

Comment

So far, I'm ok. I live and work pretty close to the northeast edge of the city, and the fire's in the west. I have a fantastic view directly out my bedroom window - the street along the side of my house runs that direction so there aren't any buildings or trees in the way.

The part of the fire in the city seems to have settled down somewhat now that it's dark, but the news footage feels like a punch to the stomach.

I do know we have at least two other members in Colorado Springs - I'm pretty consistently in contact with Sunsetsky (she's a close RL friend, and she's doing fine), but I have no contact with BethB and no idea if there are any other members around here.

Comment

Thank you for the thoughts guys. It's pretty nasty out here.

Comment

Definitely keep safe, you guys.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Keep safe out there!
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'll be thinking of you guys and my niece and my sister who live near the fires as well.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I know we had some pretty nasty ones down here last summer.... I hope it gets under control soon.

Thoughts and prayers.
                    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I heard about this earlier today. Stay safe! If they tell you to get out, GO!!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well, today went as well as it probably could have. Cooler weather, somewhat more humid than yesterday, a very little bit of rain. Plus the winds were variable a bit, instead of just pushing the fire into the city like they were yesterday. Current forecasts are calling for similar weather through Friday. The smell of smoke is not nearly as strong tonight as it was last night.

For the most part, the fire stayed in the foothills up above the town. After growing by 12,000 acres yesterday, it only ate another 3,000 today (puts us at 18,500 at last estimate). Current estimates are between 200 and 300 homes destroyed, but no injuries. We did lose one of Colorado Springs's historic landmarks - the Flying W Ranch was one of the first structures to burn.

Comment

One final update:

Most of the evacuations have been lifted - the only people not yet allowed home are those in the neighborhood that got hit directly by the fire. The firefighters appear to be finally getting a handle on this thing - containment is approaching 50%.

This has been on the Internet the last few days; it's a bit chilling to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBA7eHY022k

Comment

Working...
                          X