This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutter Day

Must have been something in the air today, but the wacko's were out in force.

I got paged to the returns counter. Our returns clerk had already told this woman no but she wanted to go higher. She wants to return an ADSL modem that she no longer needs. Date of purchase - 30 June, 2007. WTF? it is the best part of a year old and she wants a refund because she decided she doesn't want it anymore. I quite firmly told her that no I can't return an item of that age. She starts ranting and raving, said she was going to complain to our corporate head office, and they would make me give a refund (and sadly, they probably would). I ended up telling her that IF it was the same as the current model, I would give her a store credit only, for the current retail value (about half what she paid for it). This calmed her down, I checked the current model, showed her that it is different, apologised but there is nothing further I can do. I guess after seeing I was prepared to do something was enough to calm her down so she accepted that.

A little later I was occupied with another customer near the returns desk and overheard the following. Basic story was that he bought a printer in December. It has been working fine with his laptop, but he recently bought a new desktop computer elsewhere, and the printer wouldn't work with it. Therefore he wanted a refund. The returns clerk suggested that it was probably just a setup problem on the new computer, and offered our technicians to help set it up. No the customer just wanted a refund. Returns clerk explained he couldn't give a refund because a) it was 5 months old, b) it was incomplete, c) there was nothing wrong with it. Customer wouldn't accept that and wanted the manager. Because I was occupied the other senior manager responded and went through exactly the same stuff as the Returns desk, reiterated the offer to set it up properly on his computer. The customer said his son had tried setting it up, it didn't work so he still demanded a refund. The SM's response was gold - he asked what his son did, he was an English teacher. The SM then said "Your son was trained as an English teacher, and I'm sure he does it very well. Our technicians are trained as computer technicians, and although they can speak english, they don't pretend to be English teachers". Customer grudgingly decided to bring his computer in so our techs can set it up on it.

No sooner had this finished and another customer walks out and as he does shouts out to me that our sales staff won't sell him what he wants and storms out. I asked the salesman involved what happened. Customer wanted a bundle of a Playstation Portable and a particular game. The game the customer wanted is not in stock and is out of print so we can no longer get it. Salesman explained that to him, and suggested some similar games but customer would have nothing of it, and got cranky that he wouldn't sell him what he wanted and stormed out.

I loooved that SM's response. I was thinking something along those lines as well. lol

As for the other people...what the poo??? Specially the guy looking for an out of print game...lame. I love the screaming "foul/rip-off" SC's...not.

The stuff people complain about really confuses me.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

so you mean.... if i get tired of my laptop i can bring it down and demand a new one? for free?

wow.

i'm still amazed at what some people think they're entitled to.

Comment

Quoth Rivulatus View Post
        Customer got cranky that he wouldn't sell him what he wanted and stormed out.
        Why do customers think it's their right to buy somehthing at any given store? If they don't have it it's some kind of rip-off. What a bunch of morans!! Just go somewhere else or come to terms with the fact that what you want has been discontinued and you're not going to get it!!
        It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

What I'm shocked at is that your 2 first SCs in question, when confronted with logic (a phemonmeon frightening and alien to most SCs) actually accepted it and moved on.
          I will never go to school!

Comment

My boss told me once of a situation that happened to her when she worked at wm.

Guy comes in, has a pool - not back in the box, just all the equipment loaded onto a flat cart - and no receipt - and wants a refund.

Why, You might ask? He bought it, set it up, used it a bunch, then moved. Well, the yard at his new home wasn't big enough to set the pool up, so he wanted his money back. Essentially, like the lady with the modem, he wanted to use the item for a while for free.

If I buy something and use it, I don't expect the store's going to give me my money back because I'm tired of the item.

Oh, and my boss didn't give him a refund. Woohoo!
            Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

So using that logic if I were to build a house and a tornado came through and destroyed it I could take the bits and pieces back to the distributers and demand a refund?

Or if I tore down my deck, I could get my money back because I took it down?

How do people come up with this logic?

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                How do people come up with this logic?
                WHAT logic? We don't need no steenkin logic!
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Update

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                  What I'm shocked at is that your 2 first SCs in question, when confronted with logic (a phemonmeon frightening and alien to most SCs) actually accepted it and moved on.
                  Yeah I was surprised they took it that well, especially the first. Well guess what - she didn't take it that well.
                  This morning get a phone call from the complaints people at corporate. Guess what they insisted I do?
                  If you guessed that today the customer got a full cash refundof the full amount she paid for it almost 12 months ago (despite the fact it has since dropped in value significantly), AND a gift voucher for her troubles you guessed right. #&*@'in stupid spineless corporate gits.

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                    Although they passed "Customer Suckage 101," they clearly failed "Customer Suckage 102: Advanced Suckage." If you read the course description, you'll find that this class teaches the SC advanced techniques, including how to get banned from stores and how to avoid logic.

That's the only explanation I can think of.

Comment

Quoth Rivulatus View Post
                      If you guessed that today the customer got a full cash refundof the full amount she paid for it almost 12 months ago (despite the fact it has since dropped in value significantly), AND a gift voucher for her troubles you guessed right. #&*@'in stupid spineless corporate gits.
                      Oh, that sucks. Long. And hard. And NOT in a good way.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X