This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You sir are smoking CRACK!! (longish)

I had a customer from a hospital in the Chicago area call this morning. He needed to immediately speak with one of our outside sales reps in the Chicago area. Through customer service, we normally will provide the sales rep's Normally, we will only give the customer either the sales reps voicemail number or their email address. We won't usually give the customer the sales reps cell phone number. For a couple of reasons, first of all these are traveling sales reps, they are constantly on the road and quite often meeting with other customers. It's extremely disruptive for them to be constantly receiving unsolicited calls on their cell phones. The other reason is alot of customers will try and contact their sales reps regarding issues that should be referred to customer service or not to us at all. Restricting the access to the sales reps cellphone numbers is a means of filtering out the moronic calls, including people looking for free medical advice.

Which leads me to this call.....

The players:

LC:
    SC: Crack head Johnny, who wasn't shitty....just clueless
    SR: Our sales rep

LC: Good Morning....blah, blah, blah (the standard phone greeting.)
    SC (sounding like he just swallowed half a dozen valium): Yes I'm calling from {Chicago Area Hospital} I need to talk to a sales rep immediately!!
    LC: Well actually, the sales reps are not based out of office, they are in the field, is there something I can help you with?
    SC: Well we have a patient on the table (as in operating table) and we need your sales rep to bring us a dialysis catheter immediately.

This isn't the first "patient on a table" call that I've ever handled. They used to be more common place, but in the last few years we haven't received them that frequently.

At this point the customer has already failed on a few levels. One, they scheduled a surgery prior to actually ensuring that they actually had the required materials on hand to complete a procedure. As I've told many an SC, they're inability of their logistics people to adequately maintain their stock room does not represent a crisis on our part.

Two, our sales reps are just that. Sales reps, not a medical courier service.

Three, even if the sales rep did happen to have the catheter on hand, it would create a huge problem to bill them for the catheter, since we would have to bill them for something that they already received. With no proof that they had ever received the product. And we're talking about a product that cost a few hundred dollars.

Four, our sales reps are just that. Sales reps, not portable warehouses. Any product they may have on hand is sample product. We make 100+ different types of dialysis catheters, ranging in price from less than a hundred dollars a piece to over seven hundred dollars apiece.

Anyway....back to the call.

At this point I put the customer on hold, looked up the sales rep's cell number and called the sales rep.

LC: Hi Liza! (not her real name, but close) It's LC in customer service. I've got a good one for you. I have someone on the phone from {chicago area hospital} who is asking for your cell phone number. They have a patient on the table and want you to bring them a catheter.

SR:.....I don't actually have any catheter's on hand to give them. I don't know what they expect me to do for them, but go ahead and give them my cell phone number. (hangs up)

LC: Sir, I have the sales reps cell phone number for you....gives number
    SC: Do you have her beeper number?

OK. I do know that hospital personel use pagers within the hospital, which are on a local network, since cellphones are a no, no in a hospital environment. But, who would want a pager number rather than a phone number?

LC: No I don't, but if you call her number after I hang up with you, she is readily available and expecting your call.

I don't know how this going to turn out, but I know a few scenarios of these situation usually play out.

1.) Patient dies.

2.) Patient lives but suffers catastrophic damage to renal system.

3.) Hospital contacts another hospital in the area that has the product on hand and borrows a catheter. This is actually a fairly common practice between hospitals.

4.) The sales rep is able to contact a local distributor who stocks the product and arrange for the product to be delivered immediately via medical courier.

Oh....and did I mention that the hospital in question is a TEACHING hospital? Nice.

Hospitals are hands down the worst at maintaining the busiiness side of treating patients. Which is one of the main reason's that healthcare in this country is failing in it's current form.
    Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Ok.. I think I missed this scene in "Sicko." Doctors are now calling Pharm. Sales reps for life-saving equipment in the middle of O.R. procedures?

I think I might have to ask Gravekeeper how the real estate and job market is looking in Vancouver.
    I will never go to school!

Comment

wait a minute.... the HOSPITAL was out of catheters and didn't bother doing anything about it until then? that's freakin stupid beyond belief.

and i'm a former nursing student, the school was attached to a hospital. ... someone in their supply department is in serious trouble for being that stupid.

Comment

That was really dumb of them. How do you not make sure you have everything first? Granted things are going to come up in surgery that you're not expecting sometimes but still.

Oh and at least at the hospital here in town that my mom works at, cell phones are no longer a no no. All the doctors have and use them and others are allowed to use them. The machines that they might have messed with have all been updated. Not sure if all hospitals are like this, but I imagine most are these days.
        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

This is shocking

Do you think the patient really WAS on the table, or did he just say that in hopes of getting immediate service?
          My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

I'm so happy I haven't had to go to a hospital anytime in the last... *counts on fingers and toes* ..... 17 years.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

As someone who has been a nurse for almost 18 years, 17 in the same hospital, I will add that it is highly doubtful that this procedure was started without the correct equipment. More than likely what happened was that the catheter became contaminated during the procedure, or was defective. Both of these issues occur regularly.
              There are precise procedures for setting up for any surgery before it even begins. The scrub team would have noticed that they did not have the catheter before they began.
              There are other considerations. How many procedures of this type did the facility perform recently? They simply could have used all/most of their stock. Placing a dialysis catheter is a pretty straight forwrd procedure. My guess is that they probably do a fair number. I work in a busy ER. We are re-stocked every day except Sunday. We carry a large amount of supplies. You can go through them at an alarming rate.

I also agree with Saydrah that this could have been a way of getting faster service.

I can tell you that hospital's do tend to keep the bare minimum of certain type's of supplies on hand. The overhead on keeping well stocked on every supply imaginable would be too much for most facilities.

Oh...we allow cell phone's too....except in our ICU's.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.
              Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.---Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

I'm glad I read this after my ankle surgery that I had yesterday rather than before. Thank goodness I couldn't use my BlackBerry in the hospital because I would have read this while I was waiting.
                "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  someone in their supply department is in serious trouble for being that stupid.
                  Somehow, I doubt it.

Comment

Quoth Mr Yuck View Post
                    I also agree with Saydrah that this could have been a way of getting faster service.

The scary truth is I tend to doubt that, but it could be true.

I've had people flip out on me, because they "had a patient on the table" and I wasn't able to immediately help them or find someone to immediately help them at that precise moment.

I had one call a few years ago from a doctor who had a patient on the table and the patient needed a dialysis catheter implanted and the doctor didn't know how to implant it.

He was pissed that I refused to explain it over the phone. Even if I could, there is no way my company would allow me to give medical information over the phone. Dialysis procedures are not that simple either.

Yes, our Dialysis reps can explain the procedure. They actually sit in on procedures from time to time.

The reps that sell that product line are required by our company to have at least a nursing degree, so they do have medical knowledge. And they are asked to assist hospitals on training the staff on the proper usage of products.

We actually have a full operating theater in our corporate hq for training purposes.

Our reps will even work with a hospital to assist them in finding a distributor and a medical courier to deliver product on short notice, but waiting until a person is on the table is kind of pushing your luck.

These types of calls used to be a lot more common, but we transferred Trach tubes and suture materials to our sister company that seemed to be what most of the calls were about.
                    Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Working...
                    X