This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Theater Horror Stories

I've worked for the local branch for almost three years. During that time I've seen some scary stuff. These are some of the worst and funniest.

a bit of description so you can visualize this. I'm 6'3", buzz cut dirty-blond hair, 220lbs. The uniforms are Red with Black sleeves and Black pants.

Story 1:

Me: Welcome to RTS Theaters. How can I help you? (Working the concession stand)
    SC: Hi. Do you sell popcorn?
    (note: we have a small popper that is used to make small batches for the smell)

Story 2:

Me: (standing in the box office selling tickets) Hello. Welcome to RTS Theaters. How can I help you?
    SC: Do you work here?

Story 3:

Me: (concession again) Welcome to RTS Theaters. How can I help you?(yeah. we had to say that no matter where we were. and with every customer)
    SC: What candies do you have? (leaning on a well lit display case with all our candy in it.)

Story 4:

Me: (concession again) Welcome to RTS Theaters. How can I help you?
    SC: Are your drinks Kosher? (No kidding. this random kid asked this.)

Story 5:

Me: (box office again) Hello. Welcome to RTS Theaters. How can I help you?
    SC: Do you have American Gangster yet? (Big poster stretching across the back wall of the Box Office facing the customers. It would come out 2 weeks later)

Story: 6

It was when Saw 3 came out. We had the bigger staff members on guard against kids trying to sneak into the theaters. So here comes this massive group. Must have been at least a dozen middle schoolers. (You know, the ones that try so hard to look like their in High School and no one has the heart to tell them that they failed? yeah. Those.) So they walk up and I ask for their tickets. Of course they have to ask why I need to see their tickets.

So I explain, using small words (this was at 10pm and i was tired) that it was rated R and they needed to be 17 or older to get in. So they spread out and one hands me his ticket while the others tried to slip by.

Now I'm a big guy and I can take up a lot of space. So I lean over, put one hand on one wall and a size 14 work boot on the other. They hightailed it back up stairs (we have the individual theaters underground). Now one of the assistant managers was near the stairs so they grabbed him to yell at me. One thing I have to say is that this manager and I have similar senses of humor. So when they started to complain, he just strung them along a bit.

Then the best thing happened. Now I technically dont have the power to throw someone out, but after 2.5 years on the job I was trusted enough for the AMs to back me if i did. So the kids manage to grab a young guy and played the sympathy card. He agrees (within sight and earshot of me and the AM) to get them in. So he hands me his ticket to the show and says the kids are with him. So they try walking in by flashing the tickets. Unluckily for them I have fairly fast hands and snag each one. They had tickets to see a G movie going in a the same time as Saw 3.

By this point a fairly large line was forming, so I loudly announced that their G rated movie was down the hall. The line, the AM, and I all had a good laugh at their expense.

Even better was when they tried to sneak in 30 min later. I just watched them them as they walked toward the theater and stepped out from behind the cardboard ad i was behind. Surprised the snot out of them so bad they ran into each other before hightailing it out of the building. One of the funniest nights ever.

The kosher one makes a bit of sense. Kosher sodas use sugar rather than corn syrup as the base sweetener, which provides for a different taste, as well as being kpsher.
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Here in the Philippines ... all of the drinnks are Kosher ... just because they don't use that nasty high-fructose corn syrup. MMMMM .... soooo good.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
        The kosher one makes a bit of sense. Kosher sodas use sugar rather than corn syrup as the base sweetener, which provides for a different taste, as well as being kosher.
        It really doesn't, unless there's a product in the soda that can be considered non-kosher (pork, shrimp, etc.) there's no reason for it not to be kosher. Although you could probably say it's non-kosher since it's near food that might not be (hotdogs, hotdogs near the cheese in nachos) but that's stretching it.

The whole having a different base sweetner for kosher drinks is silly since either way they'd conform to kosher laws.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
          It really doesn't, unless there's a product in the soda that can be considered non-kosher (pork, shrimp, etc.) there's no reason for it not to be kosher. Although you could probably say it's non-kosher since it's near food that might not be (hotdogs, hotdogs near the cheese in nachos) but that's stretching it.

The whole having a different base sweetner for kosher drinks is silly since either way they'd conform to kosher laws.
          According to the information I can find Orthodox rabbis say corn syrup, being a processed cereal, is not kosher unless the processing plant has been certified.
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth Caffine View Post
            Must have been at least a dozen middle schoolers. (You know, the ones that try so hard to look like their in High School and no one has the heart to tell them that they failed? yeah. Those.)
            Ah, tweenies. They're so precious....

It really doesn't, unless there's a product in the soda that can be considered non-kosher (pork, shrimp, etc.) there's no reason for it not to be kosher.
            There's a whole lot more than just what's in something as for whether or not it's kosher.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Since Kosher Coke, made for Passover, is made with cane sugar and not high-fructose corn syrup, I'm betting that Coca-Cola Corp. hasn't bothered to get its corn processing plants certified for the Big K.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I once had to reconfigure my concession stand for a night, for a performance from some Orthodox schoolgirls. No boys were allowed to work for me that night. Now, most of what I sold was technically the ol' circled K, but with this particular school, they were more strict than the standard "K." So, the girls got together and took over my stand, and sold stuff they made themselves. It was cool, and I got to be the house manager for the night. It wasn't so bad, having a girls only night.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                  Here in the Philippines ... all of the drinnks are Kosher ... just because they don't use that nasty high-fructose corn syrup. MMMMM .... soooo good.
                  I was once down in Belize for an Audubon Society trip, and got thoroughly addicted to the Coca Cola south of the border (real sugar, not corn syrup). YUM.

I'll have to check next time I go to the store to see if they have kosher soda (I know Orangina is)
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    I was once down in Belize for an Audubon Society trip, and got thoroughly addicted to the Coca Cola south of the border (real sugar, not corn syrup). YUM.

I'll have to check next time I go to the store to see if they have kosher soda (I know Orangina is)
                    many of the jones brand sodas use sugar instead of corn syrup, and have the little k
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Not if it's Passover. The law changes that holiday (don't ask me, I've not had it explained enough). Tip to you Coke w/sugar addicts- that's when you buy your soda.

I miss St. Louis......

Comment

Jungle Jim's near Cincinnati, OH usually has the real sugar versions of regular sodas for sale. Probably other importers do as well, if you need a fix.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

ahh, i mourn the days when sodas were using cane sugar; they were much better, now, they're just...soda.
                          look! it's ghengis khan!
                          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I miss the theatre business. One of my favorite jobs ever.

Comment

Quoth Jbball View Post
                              I miss the theatre business.
                              I don't know if you're in the states or not...but THANK YOU for spelling 'theatre' correctly. It's 're' not 'er'. Yeah, I know 'British spelling' and all that...but you will not find one single theatre professional in the US who spells 'theatre' with an 'er' at the end.

What's really crap? American publishers require you to use 'theater' in books/articles/so forth. So annoying.

Sorry for the
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X