This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartending Woes

God I love the Sunday shift. It's always wonderful when you're only one of two people manning the bar and juggling so many things at once as the customers grumble.

Anyway, I had two things that came up that really tried me.

Some background first. Sometimes during the hectic hours when lots of tables come in at the same time, the staff who take them don't take down the drink orders. So I have to run out myself and write down the orders for every table that didn't order. In the worst cases, this ends up with me having to make and send out a lot of orders single-handedly. If timed at the worst moment, I'm usually the only person at the bar who has to do all this.

First incident. Table of five, three beers, a soda and a glass of wine. The order is at the back of five other orders, and I'm struggling to get them all ready as my manager keeps pulling me away to seat people. As me and my partner just get started on the order, the father walks up to the bar and also adds a bottle of wine to the order. I can hear the impatience and condescension in his voice as he adds that that what we're doing is not good enough and that it's been ten minutes since the order was made.

My first reaction was to deck the guy on the spot and drag his sorry face up to mine and tell him to have a sense of goddamn patience. But all I could really do was act all confused. I swear that it was just under ten minutes, but I was still pissed at how this guy acted.

Second incident. Family of four, four glasses of water. This order was just after the one above. I got it out and the parents didn't seem to mind. Except their little shit-faced son, who sad rather bluntly, "FINALLY". That little rat-face better have some respect slapped into him.

I will admit though, that our service sucks. there's not enough people at the bar, and the food is usually taken by other tables before it gets anywhere else. But people don't really seem to understand that. All they're concerned about is acting all high and mighty and gorge themselves. So I'm sorry if your order is behind five minutes of others, I'm sorry if no food is coming yet (I don't handle it and it's probably just steaming), GROW A SENSE OF FUCKING PATIENCE OR JUST ORDER A LARGE FROM MCDONALD'S!!!

Manager wants you to sit people.. manager should tend the bar. If not.. get it in writing that the manager is pulling you away from your primary responsibility and you will not be held accountable for any negative impact.

Comment

Wait, so the guys taking orders are writing down the food that people asked for, but not the drinks they asked for...?! How are they still employed? >_< Then again, it sounds like the manager is no better. If you're the only people on the bar and it's that busy, he should let you both STAY at the bar...if the place is that busy, let him do seating duties.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I don't think the other staff forget, it's just that at busy times, their priority is making sure people don't piss themselves waiting for food. Then again, it's not really fair for me when I have to be the one to run out and take the orders :X

Comment

I've honestly never heard of that. I always see servers take ALL the orders, drinks included. It might still take a while to get stuff out, but making you run over and do it is just adding an extra step to the process.

Sounds like they need to hire some more people, but I bet I can guess what the answer to that suggestion would be.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
            My first reaction was to deck the guy on the spot and drag his sorry face up to mine and tell him to have a sense of goddamn patience. But all I could really do was act all confused. I swear that it was just under ten minutes, but I was still pissed at how this guy acted.

Second incident. Family of four, four glasses of water. This order was just after the one above. I got it out and the parents didn't seem to mind. Except their little shit-faced son, who sad rather bluntly, "FINALLY". That little rat-face better have some respect slapped into him.
            I totally get that first scenario. You're rushed, you're flustered, you're given more than a single human being can handle, but you've got to do everything in your power and more to keep the almighty customer happy. It's not until hindsight kicks in that you realize the scale of your impossible situation and how you already had gone above and beyond normal abilities.

In scenario two, I can't help but think of a dealing I had with a disrepectful privileged little ten year old twat. I was working in electronics repair and he and his mom brought something back because it broke again after the first repair. With a condescending disrepectful tone that someone his age shouldn't even know, he said to me "I think you should fix it right this time", to which I immediately replied "Well no one really cares what a little shit like you thinks". To this day I don't know if I said that out loud or not, but based on the fact that neither of them reacted, I suppose it must have just been my inner monolog.
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Your manager is a moron. I've never been in a restaurant or bar that has had bartenders taking orders at tables, and for good reason.

Bars work well just like the assembly line worked well for the industrial revolution... Everyone is doing a specific task efficiently.

Seaters seat the patrons. Wait staff take the orders, drinks first, then food. Bartenders make the drinks. Cooks make the food. The dishwashers clean the dishes. Managers manage the process.

Your manager doesn't manage the process well. You could probably have the drinks of at least two tables done by the time the wait staff bring you another table if you didn't have to take the orders yourself.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have enough wait staff to cover the tables. It seems to be becoming more common these days.

Comment

Sounds like one of the worat run establishments I've ever heard of. Your manager is incompetent. You have my sympathy.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                X