Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, my bank notices when I make large purchases that are somewhat outside my usual range of places to shop.

When I needed to upgrade my wardrobe prior to going to Mexico for my cousin's wedding, I got an email notice from the bank about it. They didn't block my card, but the email basically said "If you did not authorize this purchase, [do X]," and it would block it.

I haven't gotten any other flagged purchases that I didn't authorize since then, but it's nice to know my bank cares.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My credit union calls me to clarify amount sometimes.It's hasn't been anything large but it's nice to know they're keeping track.
      "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
        There have been times I've had to think really hard and try to remember when and what charge some of those items were for.
        I totally agree, especially if it's from somewhere like the DMV that you don't go to very often. Just a couple months ago my husband got his license renewed and we puzzled for a long time over the charge on his statement listed as "[MY COUNTY]" with a bunch of numbers afterward. I had just picked up the phone to call the bank when "Oh yeah!"
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I have a a card with a large credit limit that I have only used once in the last 14 years. I had to buy a new induction stove top for my Mother and it was about $2000. I knew I had not spent that much on that credit card for more than 10 years and I knew I was going to pay it off the same day I purchased it (no interest).

I still rang them and identified myself and told them I was going to spent that money. It was painless - they said "That's OK' and I said "Thank you" and the purchase was just as smooth.

I knew it was totally out of character for me to spend that amount of money on my card, but I have more than half a brain.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            There have been times I've had to think really hard and try to remember when and what charge some of those items were for. Especially if the merchant ID on my statement is different from what I thought it was.
            Am I the only person who keeps all credit card purchase receipts in a paperclip on my study desk? It makes checking my statement a lot easier.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
              Am I the only person who keeps all credit card purchase receipts in a paperclip on my study desk? It makes checking my statement a lot easier.
              In my experience of dealing with people trying to figure out their purchases... yes. Yes, you might be the only one. (or within the 1% at least)

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                My credit union calls me to clarify amount sometimes.It's hasn't been anything large but it's nice to know they're keeping track.
                Mine called me once at my job, asking me about a $500 purchase made at a Walgreen's in New Jersey. I think they already knew the answer, since they had reached me at my job in Harrisburg. I've never even been to a Walgreen's, and I only go to New Jersey once a year when we go to the beach. So they cancelled my card, blocked the transaction, and told me to contact my credit union at their regular number to get a replacement.

They didn't ask me for any information other than verifying that they were speaking to me, and whether or not I had made that purchase, so I was pretty certain it was legit. Oh, and they asked me to check if my card was in my wallet, because the thief had used an actual physical card. I still had my card, so someone must have managed to clone it. Funny how someone was smart enough to clone a card, but too stupid to know not to make a purchase that would get flagged like that.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

This is one of the reasons I like my credit union. They make the credit and debit cards right at the branch, so I'd you need to have one cancelled for whatever reason, there's no waiting for a new one.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I keep mine in a small box on my desk, I always make sure that I have the receipts so I can go through them. Granted I really don't have a lot in the way of "other" purchases as I typically don't buy a lot out of food, movie tickets, and things of that nature -- but I always keep them until I check them off.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I keep mine 'til the charge is posted and don't waste time questioning unfamiliar transactions.
                      A couple months back my card was compromised and the issuing bank called me. I was off the hook for all the fraudulent charges and the bank overnighted a new card.
                      I can't understand the SC in the OP. Does this fool really want to be stuck with all those bougus charges or disputing half of them?
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My Ex had every statement filed with every receipt on it... and would go mad if any receipt was ever missing even if he knew exactly what it was and could confirm he had spent it....
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I'm loving the option some stores are giving to email receipts. It makes keeping up with them so much easier.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                            I'm loving the option some stores are giving to email receipts. It makes keeping up with them so much easier.
                            This. No matter how many times my husband and I try to keep receipts for various reasons, we always end up with faded, unreadable ones that are useless to us.
                            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                              This. No matter how many times my husband and I try to keep receipts for various reasons, we always end up with faded, unreadable ones that are useless to us.
                              Sounds like you're getting heat printed receipts. Pro-tip: photocopy the receipt when it's new and staple the receipt to the copy. Old accountant's trick.
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Sounds like you're getting heat printed receipts. Pro-tip: photocopy the receipt when it's new and staple the receipt to the copy. Old accountant's trick.
                                I do this, or just scan receipts

Comment

Working...
                                X