This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    Serious, the cost of repairing the door is small in comparison with being sued because someone had a medical emergency and hotel staff declined to call 911. Plus, I'm sure one of the people in the elevator would have just called themselves.

I'm not claustrophobic, except below decks on a boat. If I can see the stairs/ladder to the deck I'm okay, but I could never go on a cruise ship. I just have this blind panic that the ship will start sinking and I'll be trapped. I'm sure they have ways to get out, but that's why it's a phobia, because it's irrational.
    You would have liked the stateroom we had on our first cruise - the level above the deck with the escape boats, and diagonal from the stairs down to that deck, so we were within 2 minutes walk of the lifeboats. Our balcony was just barely above the level of the lifeboats as a matter of fact. I think we were about 40 feet or so above water level, call it 3 decks.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I heard of one guy who got stuck in an elevator for 42 HOURS. (saw the video on Tosh.O)

Management knew he was in there. I suspect, that they did not want to damage the door and the repairman would come in on Monday (or some stupid thing, I do not know the details).

The guy laughed about it later though. Having won a lawsuit against the building.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
        I heard of one guy who got stuck in an elevator for 42 HOURS. (saw the video on Tosh.O)

Management knew he was in there. I suspect, that they did not want to damage the door and the repairman would come in on Monday (or some stupid thing, I do not know the details).

The guy laughed about it later though. Having won a lawsuit against the building.
        Sounds to me more like he laughed all the way to the bank.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The engineer's possible plaint...

Quoth figgyx View Post
          ...I mean, really, if there was a slight possibility this was true why would we wait hours for the repair dude?
          Well, because you called 911 (and rightly so, in my opinion), he was deprived of a chance to put in however-many hours of urgent after-hours labor for which he could possibly charge triple-time.

So, in making the decision you did, you put the welfare of your guests above his paycheck.

HARRRUMPH!!!
          Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Actually, about the guy stuck in the elevator of the McGraw-Hill building for 42 hours, apparently the guards weren't watching the cameras like they should have been. And there were elevator techs doing maintenance on the other cars in that bank, why none of them wondered where car #13 was is beyond me.
            The guy kinda cooked his own goose job-wise though, making the decision not to come to work, and claiming that he was too scared of elevators to show up. (He and possibly his lawyer figured that their lawsuit would have more chance of succeeding if he could claim he was traumatized). He lost his job, and I don't know when he managed to find another.

And if there is an actual entrapment, they won't take hours to send somebody- at night it may take more time, because they have fewer techs out, but they WILL send somebody ASAP if somebody's in there. I found this out when I got stuck in an elevator once during a night shift. Yay ThyssenKrup! The elevator tech was amazed at how calm I was, I told him that being a skyscraper fan and knowing how elevators work helped
            Last edited by Amanita; 03-10-2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X