This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    You might also want to see about replacing first floor windows (or basement windows at least) with glassblock. It's a LOT harder to gain access to a home with those, and you've got some time before this creep gets out. After all, there will be times when no one is at home.
    Security screen doors would be good, too. It's a lot more difficult to get through two sets of doors than one (especially if one is metal!). Plus you can keep it closed and locked between you and whoever's on the other side. I also second Cindy's suggestion of a safety deposit box at the bank.
    Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    But she won't meet someone more respectable and dump the jailbird. She chose this relationship because it's safe (he's locked up) and "she can fix him."
    I hate that some women go for the bad boy and think they can make him better! Too many women are caught up in some Beauty and the Beast fantasy, thinking their love can redeem the brute. Yes, some people can and do turn their lives around, but they are few and far between. Most of these guys are hard-core recidivists, don't give a damn about anything but themselves and how much money they can drain out of some sucker.

I really, really hope your mother opens her eyes and gets out of that relationship before she's drained dry.
    Last edited by XCashier; 07-05-2015, 09:10 PM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

I hate that some women go for the bad boy and think they can make him better! Too many women are caught up in some Beauty and the Beast fantasy, thinking their love can redeem the brute. Yes, some people can and do turn their lives around, but they are few and far between. Most of these guys are hard-core recidivists, don't give a damn about anything but themselves and how much money they can drain out of some sucker.
      I really think that a lot of people instinctively try to see the good in people. That's how a lot of people get suckered in to sending people in prison tons of money. They exchange some letters, the felon says "I'm turning my life around, I've found religion and repented". The person writes back, stays encouraging. A few more letters and the felon says "I want to be a good person. It's just so hard in here. It would be so much easier if I could afford (x item). By the way, your support means SO much to me". After a few more letters, the felon says that they love the person, couldn't do this without them, praises them, tells them they want to be with them, and the writer is now hooked. the writer is being flattered, being practically worshipped, and builds up this entire fantasy. The felons play on this. It's an entire grooming scenario. That's why at my job, I don't accept compliments. I'll say thank you to basic compliments, but will shut a person down when they continue. I also won't do "favors" as they imply an imbalance in power (someone owing the other person)
      Last edited by April; 07-06-2015, 11:06 PM. Reason: fix quote

Comment

Some women just lose their damn minds when it comes to prisoners! I live in Northern NY...VERY close to where that female civilian prison employee helped two convicted murderers escape from a (supposedly) maximum security prison! It was very scary here for about 3 weeks!

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
          Some women just lose their damn minds when it comes to prisoners! I live in Northern NY...VERY close to where that female civilian prison employee helped two convicted murderers escape from a (supposedly) maximum security prison! It was very scary here for about 3 weeks!
          I used to work in a prison. I had a couple of co workers who insisted on sharing personal information with our inmate trustees. I tried to tell them what a bad idea it was but they insisted the inmates had just been misunderstood.

One of them later entered into a sexual relationship with one of the trustees. Long story short, it ended in a major shit storm . . . and I exited quick before things got dangerous.

I just don't get why people get themselves into these fixes. The results turn out the same way every time: badly.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

This story was crazy. The lady has a husband, and a son, daughter-in-law, and baby granddaughter. I just can't imagine what she was thinking! Or how she thought this would ever end well.

It was weird to have it all on the national news, and to look at all the woods surrounding us and wonder if they were out there. (there was no sight of them for two weeks)

I am not usually scared easily, especially here, but this was bad. I am so glad it is over.

Comment

Well, to add to this:

My wife and I think that my mother is "afraid" of being alone.

I kinda understand that, but at the same time, you gotta look at the pattern.

She got married to my dad when she was 19. They divorced when my mother was in her mid 30's. I was 14 or 15 at the time. So she wasn't technically alone, because my sister and I still lived there.

Then, my mother moved in another guy not too long after my dad moved out after the divorce. He was a recovering alcoholic. That relationship lasted 3 or 4 years. She kicked him out because she found out he was cheating.

Then she met another guy at a bar...he moved in shortly thereafter. They ended up getting married, and that marriage lasted about 4 or 5 years (I think, I try to block some of it out). A few police visits came out of that one. Needless to say, that one ended in divorce.

Shortly after that, I moved out on my own. My sister was still living at home at the time. My mother had a few short-lived relationships after that. Though they were more like "dating" than actual relationships, I think.

Then she married this one other dude (I think they met online). He bailed on her after about two years, and moved to the Philippines to be with some younger woman, apparently. She had to actually get lawyers and such to get divorce papers signed then...

Each marriage seems progressively shorter.

She's been in other short-term "relationships" since then.

The sad part is, not to repeat myself, she's been having a "relationship" with prison boy for dang near a decade. Yes, apparently even through one of her marriages.

I guess at some point they "ended" their relationship, but I guess at some point resumed it.

I just SMDH every time I think about it.
              Last edited by mjr; 07-07-2015, 09:34 PM.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I just don't get why people get themselves into these fixes. The results turn out the same way every time: badly.
                I've often heard people say, "I consider myself a good judge of character."

Every time, the person ended up burned by someone they trusted.

mjr, your sister might have something there. Some women can only think of themselves as "Joe's wife" or "Fred's girlfriend", etc. It's like they have no identity without a companion. Other people are just not happy without a partner. I can understand that, but when the person (male or female) repeatedly chooses a partner who turns out to be a cheater, a liar, a thief, or something else negative, it's a pattern that needs looking into by an expert.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Some women can only think of themselves as "Joe's wife" or "Fred's girlfriend", etc. It's like they have no identity without a companion.
                  Would have a lot less potential for heartbreak if they could think of themselves as "Fido's owner".
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Would have a lot less potential for heartbreak if they could think of themselves as "Fido's owner".
                    Could still be some heartbreak, but the difference is that Fido isn't going to do it intentionally.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
                      I just can't imagine what she was thinking! Or how she thought this would ever end well.
                      You're assuming she was thinking, alogram. That's not always a good supposition.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                      X