X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thievery most lousy

Right, so.

Around the swamp, tempers are currently short and buttholes are currently tight. We've gotten some early inventory reports, and they are not good. Lots more merchandise missing than there should be, but not all of this is our fault. We're expecting a visit from the DM and some Vice President of Something or Other sometime in the near future. We're also expecting an LP audit, partly because of our lousy inventory results, but also because we're due for one anyway, and because our sales aren't up to par either. BTS freight is coming in hard and heavy and we have a couple fairly big resets coming.

On top of all this, our latest round of customer service surveys is in, and those aren't looking too hot either. Among the negative comments: somebody bought some plants out in our garden center and paid with their credit card. Upon checking their statement online twenty minutes later, they found a fraudulent charge. So, just as any reasonable person would assume, they decided the cashier in the garden center stole their credit card number. Yeah, okay.

1. If the cashier, who was not named in the comment, is who I think it is, let's just say she has neither the brains nor the ambition to steal people's credit card information.
    2. If she did, she wouldn't be working as a lowly cashier in a big box store's garden center, but most importantly:
    3. Cashiers in the garden center, and in the store too, do not handle customers' credit or debit cards.

Yeah, nothing will come of this, but the negative score still counts against us.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

In other words, the usual corporate 'logic' at work...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
      In other words, the usual corporate 'logic' at work...
      You've got it.

It's never the warehouse's fault that we get shorted on our trucks. It's not the store's fault that we can't file a warehouse shortage claim unless the amount missing from the invoice is at least $250.

It's also not the store's fault that we have a high rate of theft. It's not the store's fault that we have issues w/warehouse sending in damaged items or misshipped items (order one item and get something else but be billed for the correctly ordered item on the invoice.)

It's either we have associate theft issues, vendors taking stuff out the door w/out getting it scanned out (yeah, right. I AM THE ONE opening the back door, I scan out everything they remove from our store unless they are on SBT and also see their receipts if they purchase anything at the register, so that's NOT happening. Also have a video camera right on the door where everybody comes in at, but I digress.)

Yet Corporate can't figure out exactly what's going on and go through these same spiels w/us as far as LP audits and sending in another inventory crew to recount after a particularly bad inventory (happened at one WD store - had one really bad inventory, LP came in and interviewed everyone and 2 weeks later had another Inventory count of everything in the store.)

And of course if Corporate wants our opinion, they'll give it to us.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Decades ago

A friend of mine worked in a food and catering vending company that seemed to have a high level of missing goods. Because local management allowed the workers to take items home that expired past the sell-by date they for some reason decided the stealing was done by the same employees who were already up to their eyeballs in Yo-Yos and Twinkles (I found some in my cabin while cleaning it out that were more than two years past the sell date and they seem no different from new ones to me.)

So they put in a new employee who was an undercover detective, but management however was not happy with his report. He did not find the hourly employees taking anything they were not allowed to, but upper management of that branch turned out to be taking out newly arrived food with them to host their own parties.

And we are not talking about just a box of pasty or so, I am talking entire legs of lamb, half a dozen pot roasts, entire cakes. And guess what! No-one in upper management got fired or demoted, however the company went business two years later.

I wonder why?
        Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 06-15-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          And guess what! No-one in upper management got fired or demoted, however the company went business two years later.
          If it had been regular employees doing this you know damn well they'd been tossed out faster than week-old fish!

Seriously, not one word was said? That shows how much corporate cared for the rank and file...

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            A... And guess what! No-one in upper management got fired or demoted,
            I wonder why?
            I'm going to go out on a limb and say that corporate was more than willing to have the excrement impact the oscillator AT A DISTANCE, but when investigation revealed that the ACTUAL problem people were close enough to their own level as to put themselves in the "splatter zone", THEN action with repercussions took on a MUCH lower priority.

After all, hiring a thief may be a Career Limiting Maneuver, but ONLY if you actually PROSECUTE the thief!

And when the company goes under, you have that many more good old boys in your social network to give you referrals and recommendations to your new job!
            Last edited by LoTech; 06-15-2015, 04:41 PM. Reason: Edit: double word

Comment

Working...
            X