Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pat Nixon? Wow. You must be really old. (Sorry. I was around for the Nixons but not old enough to drive.)

Comment

I guess that was one case where you just couldn't stand Pat.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

LOL. I bet your SC did want to be able to blame you, but I don't think it's a fully defined, conscious thought process that the SCs go through, it's probably been programmed into them by past experiences. Doesn't make it OK, but getting too angry affects my mental health so I try to think about why people behave as they do (well that and I'm trying to get into grad school to become a therapist).
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
          Love this. Can I steal it to use?
          Go right on ahead. I didn't come up with it, but we used it in high school a lot, do get around the ban on curse words. We also used, "South end of a north bound male donkey." Principle couldn't bust us and several of our teachers thought it was hilarious. Yeah, these teachers were our favorites.. wonder why?

I always tell my family to prepare for traffic being stupid when we go into Little Rock for any reason. Leave early, expect people to forget the rule of "Shiny side up" for cars, and don't be surprised if someone decides your car's rear bumper is a great place for their car to rid. Little Rock doesn't have the congestion of say, Dallas (where at least they honk before they hit you. Little Rock is just full of accidental ninjas!), but it is the biggest city in Arkansas and the most stupidly laid out.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
            They're the ones that ask for your opinion on everything, and then argue aganist everything you suggest.
            Yup. I try not to bug people for their opinions unless it's fairly simple and I will always take their advice! Like when I'm at a restaurant, I may pick an entree and ask "which sauce would you recommend?" And boom, I pick that one. I try to be specific, too. Not "what's good here?" Although I don't think that's a sucky thing to ask (maybe it is?), it's too broad for me.

At my work the question is usually "what type of closure would you use" and maybe I reply with buttons. I like buttons. Apparently everyone else in the world hates putting in button holes. Personally I don't get the big deal, I do it with a 50 year old machine no problem. Anyway, it doesn't matter if I say buttons or a zipper, the response will ALWAYS be "oh, but then I have to sew. How about velcro?" And for the sake of my sanity, I won't get into the discussion which follows, but suffice to say, it is long.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              Anyway, it doesn't matter if I say buttons or a zipper, the response will ALWAYS be "oh, but then I have to sew. How about velcro?"
              And how do they plan to attach the velcro? The sticky-back stuff makes clothing EXTREMELY stiff, and it doesn't do too well in the washing machine.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                And how do they plan to attach the velcro? The sticky-back stuff makes clothing EXTREMELY stiff, and it doesn't do too well in the washing machine.
                Double-sided Velcro.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  See, this is why it ends up being a long conversation. Sticky-back isn't meant for fabric, and won't work. Sew-on won't work because then they have to sew it. We have some which is iron on, but since I haven't used it (or heard any feedback about it) I only suggest it as a last resort because inevitably they then ask, "does iron on REALLY work?" And I don't know the answer. Don't even get me started on using glue.

Basically, they want to make something no-sew and there just isn't a good way to do so. It's entirely possible that somewhere online there is a tutorial which would help, but if I suggest they look online I get cat-butt face. They think I'm just too lazy to help them, when it's not my job to spend hours searching for a solution which would be acceptable to them. I told them a solution, they just don't like it.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    Basically, they want to make something no-sew and there just isn't a good way to do so. It's entirely possible that somewhere online there is a tutorial which would help, but if I suggest they look online I get cat-butt face. They think I'm just too lazy to help them, when it's not my job to spend hours searching for a solution which would be acceptable to them. I told them a solution, they just don't like it.
                    And if you offered to tutor them in the skills of sewing for a set hourly fee, they wouldn't like that either because they think you should help them for free.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

ehh. driving into DC and parking isn't as bad as driving into NYC and parking... i've done both. i prefer the available forms of public transportation in either case. XD

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                        On another note; NOT taking the subway into DC is crazy-pants. Public parking in the touristy parts of downtown is very difficult to find, and unless you have been shined upon by divine providence, (and you've scored one of the few spaces along the Mall), is going to be more expensive than taking Metro.
                        I've been to DC a few times...and it's pretty easy to get around without a car. The first couple of times, my aunt lived in Takoma. IIRC, the Metro station was maybe 10 minutes from her apartment? A simple matter of driving there, and taking the Metro into town. Otherwise, parking inside DC is not cheap and a pain in the ass. Even after my aunt moved to Silver Spring (MD), taking the Metro in wasn't too bad.

Even here in Pittsburgh, if I have to head downtown from home (I live south of the city), I'd rather take the T than drive. It's cheaper ($2.50 each way) than finding a spot in one of the garages during the day.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                          Pat Nixon? Wow. You must be really old. (Sorry. I was around for the Nixons but not old enough to drive.)
                          I hope you're joking because if not, it's rather rude to refer to fellow posters as
                          'really old'.

"So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Slightly O/T, but would estimates of actual age (rather than a comment like "really old") be considered rude? The post in question implied that the user was driving at a time when Pat Nixon was a VIP living in DC (in other words, before Richard Nixon resigned - he moved to California, presumably along with his family, when he left office). This would put them as at least 16 years old in the early '70s, or at least mid-to-late 50s now.

While some people (e.g. a friend's kids - 12 and 14 years old) would consider that "really old", others (e.g. my father - 100 years old) wouldn't.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yes I was joking. Sorry to offend. I didn't think it was offensive esp since I alluded to being almost the same age. I won't joke anymore.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                                Yes I was joking. Sorry to offend. I didn't think it was offensive esp since I alluded to being almost the same age. I won't joke anymore.
                                You kids stop bickering and play nice, ya hear? And I'm old enough to remember reading in the newspaper about Vice-President Nixon being stoned in Venezuela.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X