This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a customer doesn't mean being an entitled bastard

This isn't relevant to stuff that's happened now, but I've been going through a lot of stress recently so i need to vent. Please bear with me.

This was a while back when I had started working at the restaurant. I was a table clearer back then and not manning the bar. Anyway, I walk in and the shift is in full swing. After I drop off my stuff in the rack at the back, I get pulled by this lady. Apparently, one of the waiters forgot to write down her order for a beer and now she was demanding a free one.

SInce I was only starting out, I tried to say that we couldn't do that but she was being an uppity bitch and saying how if we can't deliver it should be free. I managed to get my manager to talk it out but i don't remember if we gave it to her for free in the end.

A few weeks back I had a table with a family of four. The father brought in a six pack of Jim Beam Coke and asked if I could just get him a glass. The rules/law whatever say that all BYO drinks have to be wine and that all other drinks have to be mixed, so when I told the father this he had a go at me. I tried to tell him that I couldn't bend the rules and he told me that he didn't give an "s", IN FRONT OF HIS KIDS WHO WERE LIKE 2 AND 3.

Luckily for me the wife was a bit more understanding so I talked it over with her (in whispers and in front of the husband no less) and I stuck the six pack in the fridge. When she paid the bill I apologized for the fuss but she was understanding. Judging from the situation, the husband didn't catch on until after he saw the six pack after they left the restaurant.

Have you ever had an experience where the customer has been an asshole just because they don't get what they want?

You are new here, aren't you?

See most Sightings threads, for starters.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

When I was at Macy's, I remember one day when there was a sale on a specific brand of watches, our manager told us that what was in our display case was all we had in stock, and for an alternative, we could offer customers that discount on other brands of watches. (something like that, anyhow)

So this guy comes in looking for what was in the sale ad, we didn't have the specific watch he was looking for, and he was kind of snippy about it......seemed to think I didn't know what I was talking about.

Comment

I sell newspaper advertising. The rates are the rates. I can't change them. I also have limited leeway when it comes to the rules about what rate can be used for what type of ad. I've had customers literally scream at me when I wouldn't (usually couldn't) give them the rate they wanted.

One guy left a nasty voicemail in which he said we were "raping the public" because he thought the cost of a death notice was too high.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah, pretty much every day I have someone get pissy because they can't get what they want. I mean, I can almost finish their sentence for them it happens so often.

SC: So that was on sale.
          Me: Oh, it's not coming up on sale. Let me check. *I check and find no sale sign for that item* Sorry, I don't see any sign.
          SC: Whenever I come here nothing is ever right!
          alternative: If it's not on sale I don't want it! or: It's deceptive!

FYI, these sentences can be reversed.

SC: That was regular priced.
          Me: Sorry, it's coming up on sale.
          SC: Whenever I come here I can never use my coupon!
          alternative: If I can't use my coupon I don't want it!
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            SC: That was regular priced.
            Me: Sorry, it's coming up on sale.
            Had this happen at a fabric store. I had a 50% off (might have been 60%) I wanted to use and I scoured the racks to make sure I had a fabric that was regular priced. Then I got to the register and it turned out the fabric was on sale. My reaction? Well, bummer. Then I shrugged and said oh well. It was cheap fabric anyway.

At work we have this cardiologist. We'll call her Dr Bipolar. Some days she's great, other days she's a raging hosebeast. She reads stress tests, which if you've ever had one, you know they take awhile. Several hours and that's if things run smoothly, which they never do. So if she's reading on the weekends, she'll wander down around 815 or so and demand to know why we're not done yet. Tech gets in at 700 and has to run equipment checks. The nurse practitioners, who we are legally required to have in the room for part of the test, get in at 800. Dr Bipolar knows this, and yet she will still berate a tech for not being done when there's no way we could be without the use of a TARDIS. She's driven at least one tech to quit.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Jim Beam Coke is a thing now? My taste buds just retreated back to the center of my tongue... If you have to mix it with soda, make it 7-up or ginger ale!

Thus speaks the sober broad, who hasn't had a drink since 1981!
              I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
              - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
                Jim Beam Coke is a thing now? My taste buds just retreated back to the center of my tongue... If you have to mix it with soda, make it 7-up or ginger ale!
                Rye and cola is fairly common, so why not bourbon and cola? I'd like to know how many people order the upscale Redneck rye and cola - Crown Royal and Royal Crown.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Rye and cola is fairly common, so why not bourbon and cola? I'd like to know how many people order the upscale Redneck rye and cola - Crown Royal and Royal Crown.
                  I do Canadian Whiskey and Diet Pepsi . . . please don't hate me.

It's whatever floats your boat.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Rye and cola is fairly common, so why not bourbon and cola?
                    Rum and Coke is most popular. Though if you use Pyrat Cask 1623 in it, Jester will come over and slap you upside the head.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
                      Have you ever had an experience where the customer has been an asshole just because they don't get what they want?
                      Uh, what site is this again?
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

How about every time I had a customer that I had to say "No," to for any reason, at any job? It's like the word "no" must be a cuss word, the way they get all offended.

Actually, most just put on their big kid undies and dealt with the situation. It was just the rest that made the good ones more memorable.
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                        X