This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How cute!

I'm not a fan of ketchup, but I dump salsa on everything. At my favorite joint, I can tell which cook made the salsa just by looking at it. Big chunks of tomatoes and peppers? That would be Juan. Small pieces of everything? That's Mike. They both use the same recipe, they just process it differently. (I like Juan's salsa better.)

So I can easily see how even ketchup from the same plant might be different from batch to batch. Same recipe, but different people doing the processing. Not to mention that plants don't always produce the same thing depending on the conditions.

Oops, meant to put this in the Ketchup Conspiracy thread. Got distracted by the cute birdy pic. Is it possible for a mod to move it?
    Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 06-16-2015, 10:23 PM. Reason: Moved by request. Next time, use a PM to let us know, please

Comment

Sometimes things just taste different, get over it. The only time I say anything about taste is if it has something really wrong. Like once I sent back some fried fish because the batter was basically SALT. I still remember the waitress acted like I was being picky, but it was like someone tripped and spilled the whole container of salt into the batter. She said "so do you want a new serving?" and I asked if it would be made with the same batter. She said yes. So... No, I don't want more... I felt like being a SC, but it's not worth it.

Quoth sirwired View Post
      (It doesn't help that "American" Paprika has pretty much no flavor; it's just an orange powdery garnish.) But still no excuse for the lack of Garlic. (Or actual chilis, instead of "extractives")
      I have both sweet and smoked paprika. The smoked paprika is awesome in this chipotle seasoning that I make. I make a special trip to one of my least favorite grocery stores because their one good feature is the bulk section. They are the only one's I've found to carry ground chipotle chile pepper, aka ground smoked jalapeno. Also, spell check hates the word chipotle... Is that not a word or am I spelling it wrong?
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
        I now mix green tabasco into it and enjoy spicey ketchup.
        I'll have to try that with Tabasco's Chipotle sauce. Love that stuff!
        Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        Also, spell check hates the word chipotle... Is that not a word or am I spelling it wrong?
        According to one online dictionary, it is. Perhaps it's because it's not standard English, but a loan word from Mexican Spanish?
        Last edited by XCashier; 06-17-2015, 02:55 AM.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

With enough ketchup, even Army chow is edible...

As a child I was shocked by G.I.'s putting ketchup on ice cream...

Later, being fed C-rations while on field work for USU (harvesting locoweed), I began to understand...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Thanks DGoddess. This is the first time I did something that boneheaded here and didn't know what to do. I'm still blaming the cute birdy picture!

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
              I think that is also where they got their 'mayonnaise" from also, as it tasted like a cheap Miracle Whip knock off.
              Well, since Miracle Whip has never been marketed as mayonnaise in the first place...

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              Ghost pepper? Wimp! Try it with some Carolina Reaper pepper.
              Tell me about it. I've got Scorpion salsa and it really doesn't phase me.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              Also, spell check hates the word chipotle... Is that not a word or am I spelling it wrong?
              Quoth XCashier View Post
              According to one online dictionary, it is. Perhaps it's because it's not standard English, but a loan word from Mexican Spanish?
              Nope. Chipotle is Nahuatl.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                Heh; I didn't even think of paprika as a chili, but of course it is. (It doesn't help that "American" Paprika has pretty much no flavor; it's just an orange powdery garnish.)
                I remember the Frugal Gourmet (what was his name? Jeff something) doing a recipe on TV, back when I used to have a TV, and he said "Go get some real Hungarian paprika, not the powdered bricks they sell in the supermarket."

(I do get the real Hungarian stuff in the supermarket now. Brand is "Pride of Szeged". Good stuff, but I had to throw out half a can of it once 'cos it got infested with some kind of small black bugs. The Hot variety is quite good.)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                  I remember the Frugal Gourmet (what was his name? Jeff something)
                  Jeff Smith. I used to watch his show all the time.
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    Well, since Miracle Whip has never been marketed as mayonnaise in the first place...
                    Correct, it was/is marketed at a mayonnaise alternative. As a mayonnaise purist one of my pet peeves are people who think that Miracle Whip = Mayonnaise and it's far from it.
                    Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Working...
                    X