This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
    I know. I once had a woman overhear me have to tell my son over and over again that I really wouldn't buy any spinach, and give me evil looks. She must not have heard me explain to him that 1)spinach was $6.99/100g at the moment and 2) we still have half a boston lettuce at home to make salad. She just gave the 'bad mommy' looks and wandered off.
    My mother used to get similar . . . from the local school board, because she (and several other parents) were requesting some updates or some such for my brother's school.

Back in the 80's, education of special needs children was just getting underway and, Greensboro wasn't up to speed at that time.

So, in the middle of rather heated discussion at a school board meeting, Mom asked one of them (the main one who was arguing w/her over what these kids needed) what time HE was getting off work and she'd have my brother's duds packed and ready and HE could come by, pick up my brother and take him home to raise.

Then come back and tell her how to raise her special needs child.

I recall Mom telling me that guy backed down so fast, he left skid marks in that meeting room.

But in the end of that meeting, IIRC the parents got what they requested.

So next time you get one of those "bad mommy" looks, look that person in the eye and make that offer to them.

And watch them backtrack and scatter like the cowards they are.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
      I was reading this thread out loud to my boyfriend and he quietly says "everybody likes zippers" with a little impish grin. Something tells me there's a story here, but he's not telling me.
      STORY????? not likely. just a like for zippers, hooks, Velcro, bow knots, etc. Ya know guys like "unwrapping" things
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

You didn't see the impish grin or hear the tone of voice.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          You didn't see the impish grin or hear the tone of voice.
          That is what I mean
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
            That is what I mean
            Ahhh, so you're saying not just *one* story, but several. Of course, this is the man who's totally hopeless with bra hooks, so there might be more to the stories than we think.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              ... this is the man who's totally hopeless with bra hooks...
              Make him show you the scars.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sometimes kids fixate on bright colors, especially those without enough experience to know what is what. My parent's solution to the I Want Its (which I can just barely remember) was to say "that's not candy." That shut me right up. I think they used it on things that WERE candy until I learned to read.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                X