This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Falconer

First post, yay! I think it is anyway. I'm pretty sure I had an account YEARS ago, but I can't remember my username or my password. D:

I work nights at a local, big box hardware store. Fortunately, I only have to deal with customers for an hour until we close, unfortunately late night customers tend to be really weird.

I was standing on the light bulb aisle, in front of the LED's, trying to figure out the best way to bring down some overhead stock, when a customer comes up to me.
    He was just staring at me, he didn't say, "excuse me" or anything like that, he just stared. He was wearing this pink, short sleeve, button up with triangles and squiggles all over it. Honestly, he looked like he belonged in Rocko's Modern Life.

It totally threw me off, too, the way he was staring at me. So, I stared back at him until he said, in a totally snotty tone too BTW, "I need your help."

Me: Sure, what can I help you with?
    Him: I need a light bulb that gives off heat.
    Me: Well, the LED's aren't going to be a good option for that... what do you need the bulb for?
    Him: I'm raising a chick.
    Me: Cool, like a chicken chick?
    Him: Like... a HAWK.
    Me: Oh, do you have a rescue?
    Him: I'm... a FALCONER.
    Me: Oh... okay, I'm going to need to do some research... *whips out phone to get on google, you know, to do the research HE should have done before declaring himself a freaking FALCONER*
    Him: Are you on the internet?
    Me: Yes sir, I just need to see what kind of bulb would be best...
    Him: Why aren't you using your company's website?
    Me: -_-;

Yeah sure, I'll just hop on the website for a hardware store, type "hawk chick" into the search bar, and wait for it to tell me the type of bulb you need to keep it warm. Why didn't I think of that?

So, after bringing two other people in on his project, because there was a LOT more to it than just the bulb. He needed an entire rig for this project and had no clue or specifications before he walked into the store, but we managed to get it all figured out for him.

At the end of our unique journey together, he asked me why the employees in my store are just so darn unhelpful. Why do they just ignore all the customers who need help? Why can't he ever get any help around here? He's asking me all this after I just spent 40 MINUTES helping him! All that aside, our store has a policy, during the peak times of customer traffic, that the day time associates aren't allowed to do anything except seek out customers to help.

I told him I didn't really know the answer and that I hoped he had a pleasant experience this time etc etc etc. After he left I asked around. Apparently, he comes in all the time. Everyone recognizes him and AVOIDS him because he's so creepy! xD

And the next time he comes in, make sure you're not in the garden section. You might discover that he wants... A Shrubbery!

(dramatic minor chord)

One that looks nice.

And not too expensive.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
      And the next time he comes in, make sure you're not in the garden section. You might discover that he wants... A Shrubbery!

(dramatic minor chord)

One that looks nice.

And not too expensive.
      (gasp!)

Who sent you!?
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Maybe I'll use the word "It" in a sentence until it scares him away.

Comment

Ni! Ni! Ni!
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth fantasticchelsea View Post
            At the end of our unique journey together, he asked me why the employees in my store are just so darn unhelpful. Why do they just ignore all the customers who need help? Why can't he ever get any help around here? He's asking me all this after I just spent 40 MINUTES helping him!

I told him I didn't really know the answer and that I hoped he had a pleasant experience this time etc etc etc. After he left I asked around. Apparently, he comes in all the time. Everyone recognizes him and AVOIDS him because he's so creepy! xD
            I hate when SCs do this! I spend all kinds of time helping them, and they make a point to tell me that there's "never anyone available to help" or "no one knows where anything is" or whatever. I swear, I want to say "I'm sorry, was I not helpful?" I mean, there are times when we are busy and there is nobody to help, (we would help if they pulled a number at the cutting counter, but they don't want to wait) but seriously, I'm here! I'm helping! I know where stuff is! I don't appreciate you trying to make me feel bad for something I didn't do.

And when I worked nights there were a few particularly needy wackos. The kind who would gladly bend your ear about their project long after the store closed. Closing announcements were ignored. Me actually telling them, "we're closed" just resulted in them suddenly remembering yet another obscure item they HAD TO HAVE. For example, "You're closed? Oh I need some thread for this! What kind should I get?"
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              I mean, there are times when we are busy and there is nobody to help, (we would help if they pulled a number at the cutting counter, but they don't want to wait) but seriously, I'm here! I'm helping! I know where stuff is! I don't appreciate you trying to make me feel bad for something I didn't do.
              I'm pretty sure I worked at the same fabric store. I worked there for five years. Everyday there was one person who had to cut in front of everyone else, "but I just need this small thing!" "But I just need to know about this product!"

My biggest peeve though? "This line is so long, why is this store always making me wait forever?! Anyway, I need 10 yards, but cut into one yard pieces, do you understand what I mean?"

Comment

Quoth fantasticchelsea View Post
                Him: I need a light bulb that gives off heat.
                Me: Well, the LED's aren't going to be a good option for that... what do you need the bulb for?
                Him: I'm raising a chick.
                Then why aren't you at an animal supply store instead of a hardware store?! Why didn't you do the research beforehand so you'd know what to get instead of expecting someone in a totally unrelated store to be an expert at what you want? And most importantly, why the hell didn't you say, "Excuse me, could you help me?" instead of just staring like a statue?!?!?!

I wonder if some folks have an allergy to thinking. It sure seems that way.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The time to set up a warming station is not after the chick has hatched... I hope for the creature's sake he's ahead of the curve.

However, since we know the tendencies of the clueless...
                  "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

I'm wondering if someone didn't slip him a warm chicken egg and convince him it was a falcon egg. Most places have laws about raising and keeping raptors -- if I recall correctly, you have to have proper training and permits for that kind of thing, and I'd assume that knowing how to care for one would be required to get the permit.
                    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Then why aren't you at an animal supply store instead of a hardware store?! Why didn't you do the research beforehand so you'd know what to get instead of expecting someone in a totally unrelated store to be an expert at what you want? And most importantly, why the hell didn't you say, "Excuse me, could you help me?" instead of just staring like a statue?!?!?!

I wonder if some folks have an allergy to thinking. It sure seems that way.

The area I live in now is suburban. I *used* to live in a country town. It would probably benefit him to go to Tractor Supply instead, but the closest one I know of is back home about an hour and a half away. I hope he knows what he's doing for the sake of the bird, but I'm convinced he's just another enthusiast who doesn't really know what it takes(like a LOT of the people in this area).

Comment

I'm recalling the big sign I once saw at our local Tractor Supply store when the chickens/turkeys came in:

"DO NOT HANDLE CHICKS, ASK FOR ASSISTANCE"

Good advice!
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I would highly doubt he has a chick of any kind. My guess is he comes in all the time for the attention, wasting his money.

I see what you did there, Arga. I was going to respond all serious, because I HATE when parents think it's okay for kids to handle chicks in a farm store.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

seeing this title, all I can think of is this:
                            https://screen.yahoo.com/falconer-000000589.html

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                              Most places have laws about raising and keeping raptors
                              "You've bred raptors...?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyFVhkIqvQA

Comment

Working...
                              X