This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again on electric scooters

Electric scooters, certainly a pet peeve of mine. I know there are some out there who need to use them, but others who use them for enjoyment.

Today, at Wally World, I saw one of these people who bolted out of one when it came time to scan his coupons. Then, he rode out of the store, went to the nearby curb, and walked to his car, leaving the scooter in the middle of the parking lot for someone to run over, all while walking normally.

I know what people are thinking. How do I know this guy isn't handicapped? Well, I don't know, but this guy did seem to have the strength to hurriedly get up for his coupons, then was able to walk normally to his car. Why couldn't this guy at least walk normally to his car from the entrance, or at least park the scooter outside out of harm's way?
    Last edited by greensinestro; 06-18-2015, 01:20 AM.

People leaving scooters outside is a SERIOUS peeve of mine. There are days I really need them, only to find that they've been left out in the cold/rain/snow/heat and are either dead or next to impossible to use because they're a mess. If I have to drive one out to my car, either I have one of my kids take it back inside, or I transfer my stuff to a regular cart and leave the buggy inside, plugged in. Whether you truly need one or not, at least leave them where other people can get to them when they need them.

On another note, have y'all see the Wally World video of the woman in a buggy getting into a scrap with another shopper? Serious cat fight going down in the cleaning aisle, with bonus six year-old boy sucker punching on his mom's behalf. The woman was apparently in a bad enough way she needed the buggy, but not so bad she couldn't be out of it like a shot to get into a fist fight. Hilarious!

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/l...en-up-by-fight
    Last edited by EvilEmpryss; 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

The only time I ever ride one of those scooters is to bring it in from the parking lot. I don't have mobility issues and it still annoys me to no end. I see it a lot at Sam's Club and I know for a fact that the workers ask the scooter user if they need someone to return the scooter from the parking lot. I've heard it many times.

Heck, I buy cat litter in the 45 lb. boxes but don't lift it out of the cart and the cashier always offers to page someone to put it in my car for me. And, no I don't. After I get past the receipt checker, I open the large box, put the 22.5 lb. boxes in my cart and give the greeter the large box. I do something strange, I plan how I'm going to get things out of my car and into our house.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post

On another note, have y'all see the Wally World video of the woman in a buggy getting into a scrap with another shopper? Serious cat fight going down in the cleaning aisle, with bonus six year-old boy sucker punching on his mom's behalf. The woman was apparently in a bad enough way she needed the buggy, but not so bad she couldn't be out of it like a shot to get into a fist fight. Hilarious!

YES! I was going to mention it! So, you need the scooter, but not so bad that you can get into a shampoo fight with another shopper and her kid?

Comment

Quoth On another note, have y'all see the Wally World video of the woman in a buggy getting into a scrap with another shopper? Serious cat fight going down in the cleaning aisle, with bonus six year-old boy sucker punching on his mom's behalf. The woman was apparently in a bad enough way she needed the buggy, but not so bad she couldn't be out of it like a shot to get into a fist fight. Hilarious!

[URL
          http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/wal-mart-fight-video-witness-to-wal-mart-brawl-shaken-up-by-fight[/URL]
          Yes, and that's a big point I've made about these things. Many people prove time and again that they are not disabled when it suits them, like in this case. I'm sure the other woman, the one egging on her son to hit "disabled" woman, wishes now that she had just kept her mouth shut, being she's now been charged with child endangerment.

Comment

That video made it onto one of Australia's current affairs programs.

The report was basically about how bad poor people in America are that shop at those style of stores. Left a very nasty after taste when the report was over. No idea what they were thinking putting it on to begin with.

Mostly I just wanted one of the morons with a camera phone to actually use it to call 911 or hell even go report the fight to a manager to call 911.

In some ways having the electric scooter thingies would be handy when I take my 91 year old grandma shopping, but then when I read all the shit people do to them on here I'm glad we don't.
            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I know there are people like that, but then there are people like me. My fibro pain can be crippling, but I'm not confined to a wheelchair by permanent paralysis or missing limbs: I'm only about 40 lbs overweight with no visible cues that would tell people why I need to be in a scooter. But if my children were in danger or even if I was about to drop a jar off a counter or something, I could move quick. Hell, on a recent vacation my 13 year old son got to mouthing off about how he could outrun me if I wanted to spank him. For ten glorious seconds I was able to run his little butt down and prove I could catch him if I absolutely had to... and that night I had to load up on my pain meds and spent the next two days using my walker because I'm just not the athlete I was before I got hit with fibromyalgia.

If all you saw of my life was that one moment when I was grinning like a loon while chasing down a laughing teen you'd think I was an able-bodied person and "playing" disabled when it suits me. But every time I try the little exertions that most people take for granted (like walking while grocery shopping), I know I'll pay for it dearly later, where you can't see me, in an immense amount of pain. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not.

The way my son gushed over how much fun it was that I caught him was so worth it.

So I'm not saying that the woman in the video wasn't abusing the use of the scooter or that there aren't plenty of people who abuse them: I can't say anything one way or another because I don't know them or their situation. I get just as annoyed and frustrated by the apparent laziness or lack of visible disability, too, but I try not to judge someone's disability by the few minutes of their life that that I glimpse during a Wally World shopping trip.
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Leaving the scooter outside is what gets me. This is store property, something provided as a convenience. I don't think stores are required to have these, am I correct? I mean, the stores just need to be accessible for wheelchairs/scooters. Anyway, to leave these outside where they are essentially ruined should be considered vandalism. I can't imagine any store telling a customer "no" if they asked for an employee to bring the cart back inside for them.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

For ten glorious seconds I was able to run his little butt down and prove I could catch him if I absolutely had to... and that night I had to load up on my pain meds and spent the next two days using my walker.
                  Exactly what would happen if I did the same thing. (Also a fibro patient.)

But yes - the damn people who abuse the carts provided by stores; causing them to become unavailable or unusable? GAH!

Normal wear and tear is one thing. Genuine accidents are also fine. But neglect, leaving them out in the rain ... no.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                    Heck, I buy cat litter in the 45 lb. boxes but don't lift it out of the cart and the cashier always offers to page someone to put it in my car for me. And, no I don't. After I get past the receipt checker, I open the large box, put the 22.5 lb. boxes in my cart and give the greeter the large box. I do something strange, I plan how I'm going to get things out of my car and into our house.
                    I'd like to see what happens when someone who needs assistance to get the intact 45 lb box into their car gets home - how does someone who DIDN'T plan ahead get the box that was too big for them to handle at the store OUT of their car and into their home?
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

In my case, once it arrives at home, DH can unload it.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'm single, so I can't ever buy anything I can't lift.

Empryss, I feel you on the not-visible disability thing. I look perfectly fine on the outside, but my spine is collapsing in on itself. If I lift something too heavy, there's a chance I'll blow or at least herniate a disk. But people think I'm lying or get upset that I can't do stuff. It sucks.

As for carts, I may need to ride one some day. I won't leave it outside, though.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

IKR? I love how that woman went from apparently disabled to Ronda Rousey in no time flat.

Yesterday one of our motorized scooters was left outside. I refused to bring it in because I knew who the culprit was--the really really overweight, really really ripe former cashier of ours, who went on disability and will brag about it to anybody who will listen ("I don't understand why people work when the government will give you all this FREE!"). Last time she just left the scooter someplace I could smell it from a good distance away. There is definitely some stank there.

And she isn't even the stinkiest person to use our motorized scooters!
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Hell, on a recent vacation my 13 year old son got to mouthing off about how he could outrun me if I wanted to spank him
                            Heh, had one of my girls say something similar to me, my response was 'why would I chase you, you've gotta come home at *SOME* point, all your stuff, including your phone, is *HERE*...'

Comment

I can only buy things I can lift also. I live alone and when I get home I'm the only one to lift it. But since I live alone I don't want to buy much in bulk either. My disability is also invisible.

I don't care if you need the cart every second. You can still use it. But don't be a jackass and leave it outside unplugged. That's just rude.

Comment

Working...
                              X