This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Drunk's Derby

So last night, in addition to celebrating Cinco de Mayo (I am from Arizona, after all!), I watched the Derby, and got a mint julep from my friend and coworker, who happens to actually BE from Louisville. Who better to get a julep from, right?

Well, as I was sitting there at the roof bar, with some friends who happened to show up, an impromptu betting pool sprang to life. In the end, six of us threw in five bucks each, each picking one horse, with the understanding that whosever horse came in ahead of the others' horses, whether or not they actually won the race, would win the pool.

As a proud drunk, I couldn't resist, and immediately chose the horse named "I'll Have Another." What a great name! And relatively decent odds, too, at 13-1. Not that I know a damn thing about horses or horse racing...I don't. I just liked the name.

And for much of the race, it looked like my five bucks would join many of my football bets in leaving me for good. What's that about a fool and his money again? But somehow, out of nowhere, after not being mentioned by the announcers for the whole race, I'll Have Another actually WON. Not just the pool, but the whole damn race.

My first horse racing bet, and I won the damn thing. With a mint julep in my hand, made by a bartender from Louisville. What a great way to spend the Derby!

Ironically, while I know zip about horse racing, other than the fact that it's fun to watch, the aforementioned bartender from Louisville, who grew up with the Derby, always either working at a bar for it or attending it, picked a horse that came in DEAD LAST. Which even he found hysterically amusing.

Hope y'all had a great Cinco de Mayo/Kentucky Derby/Full Moon Party/random Saturday!

(I myself don't remember all that much after the taco eating contest....)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

In related news, your horse just won the Preakness, and is in the running for the Triple Crown!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ill-ano...6112--rah.html

Comment

My grandma used to pick horse that way too - by names or if she liked the colors of their silks. She won all the time and it drove the rest of the regulars at the track nuts.
      Come to think of it, she chose her stocks the same way - also had good luck with those.

Comment

My friend won $300 on that horse today.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

When I lived in the UK, I used to watch Ascot on TV, just to see the ladies hats and hear the names of the horses, both could be hilarious.

However, my mother-in-law came to visit from the states during the season, and I had the dubious "pleasure" of trying to explain to this elderly religious woman why I was laughing so hard over the horse named "Roger the Butler".

Luckily, after I finally managed to convey in delicate terms what "roger", used as a verb, could mean outside the US, she was laughing as well.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I managed to place my very first horse bet with a bookie ever, by calling my friend, The Degenerate Sports Gambler, and having them lay twenty bucks down on my horse, I'll Have Another.

As many of you know, I'll Have Another FUCKING WON. I was at the cheapest bar on the island (also know as the bait and tackle shop that has a bar) and was going NUTS cheering for my horse.

I won $64.

Yes, I plan on betting on him for the Belmont, and the first Triple Crown since Affirmed in '78. Should be fun!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

It's funny, that horse based on the news article is one I would have chosen 3rd or 4th. Go figure. Maybe he'll finally get the Triple Crown at long last, if he can hold-out.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I normally never pick horses by names or looks or anything. But for the Kentucky Derby, I didn't hear the names until just before the race. When I heard the horse named "I'll Have Another", I instantly picked that horse to root for. Its name was too perfect for a race on Cinco de Mayo. Such a shame. Would have bet on it if I had heard earlier.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

One of the funniest horse names I heard was 'Norfolk and Chance' (say it Britishly and quickly!!) unfortunately it was rejected by the Powers That Be. It would have been funny.

My housemate got me somewhat interested in watching the Grand National some years ago - unfortunately the last two years have all put the Nationals on the GN weekend so we miss it. XD
                  "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Working...
                  X