This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents calling on behalf of student

Ever run into this one? At the Depot, we'll get a "concerned" parent calling in on behalf of their kid. Most of the time we can easily resolve it...but the worst parents are those that call up looking for a fight. Either the parent feels their kiddy is entitled to free/expedited services, or there's a huge miscommunication between parent and student.

Student brings their machine in to be checked out. It's an Apple, and it's gotta be sent out to them to get fixed. Customer's quoted at 5-7 business days to get it back (unless parts are on backorder, in which case all bets are off). Kid takes off. Next day parent calls up wondering why we haven't gotten the thing fixed yet.

Our process is this: machine gets checked in. It sits on the bench until a tech brings it into the queue, where it can sit for up to three days (if we are super-busy). Then the tech diagnoses the problem, and either replaces parts from stock and calls the student to have it picked up, or orders the part(s) from the manufacturer. Apple and Dell are usually really good about it, and often get parts to us the next day. Gateway...tends to be sluggish. Techs have had to hound them from time to time. After the beast is fixed, it's booted up and the tech makes sure things are working, then lets the student know it is good to go.

We've had parents call up and demand loaner laptops from us, even if their little precious dumped Budweiser all over the keyboard of their then-new MacBook or Latitude. Business School students *can* get a loaner from us, but only because the Business School had us supply the loaners in the first place. Of course there are computer labs all over campus, but the entitlement-issue students feel they are too good for labs.
    Gun control is hitting your target; recycling is reloading your brass.
    "It's not our fault the Business School makes you buy those crappy Gateways!"
    "The queue is..."

Gotta love the helicopter parents and entitlement obsessed students.

Comment

I wish it took that little amount of time to get my Nikkor lens fixed. Simple thing, stuck at a particular focal length, and it's been 11 working days and counting.

This folks, is why you buy more than one lens.
      I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

I haven't had any at this job yet. While I was work study at college, we had several parents call to whine about their kiddies not being able to get online. Usually I was able to tell them we haven't even heard from their little precious yet.

We had a few calls from parents trying to get their student's log on information for the system that shows grades (apparently, someone failed a class, and didn't want Mom to know....). It's fun to tell them that we can not give out that information to tell due to HIPPA regulations, and the parent starts whining that it's THEIR financial information... but, we forbear.

We did have one parent send us an email apologizing for us having to put up with her spoiled rotten pain in the butt.

EDIT: That last sentence should have ended with daughter. I'm sure it works either way.
        Last edited by technical.angel; 03-29-2007, 11:53 AM. Reason: Fell prey to rampant stupidity
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
          We did have one parent send us an email apologizing for us having to put up with her spoiled rotten pain in the butt.
          That should be printed out and placed in a museum!!
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
          X