This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP Again...

Every week, without fail, I get a request for FTP accounts. No big deal. Takes me an hour so (most of that simply because I like to wait and see if others will arrive as they always come in pairs). Anyways, when I issue passwords, I always, ALWAYS give the password with a seperate, phonetic spelling. This eliminates any confusion over how a password was seen on one line and didn't match what was issued. It also makes it easier for me to spell it phonetically over the phone, should it ever be necessary.

Today, however, I had a winner. Apparently, symbols that go on either end of the password are to be ignored. If it begins with a hash (#) then it's just a comment. The dollar sign is just a cap S. These people depress me because I do everything in my power to make these things easy to use and they just ruin it. And don't even get me started on the people that think IE is a "perfectly acceptable FTP client." No. It isn't. It requires you to use your username in the URL or it tries to use anonymous and that fails every time. Stop calling me and telling me that you were denied access. Learn to use FTP. It's only been around longer than cassette tapes.
    Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

I must admit I'm a little sadist there. When a bothersome user requests an email or ftp account in a specific server, I look down at the keyboard and "generate" a 14 character alpha-digit-symbol password (I've gained experience at typing random passwords on the keyboard) for them, for "security" reasons... the password IS secure, but a 14 digit alpha-digit-symbol non-word-based password is a little kind of "punishment" for evil users
    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Btw speaking of FTP, consider youself lucky. Our webmaster (my boyfriend) receives one or two new client calls a month, where their WEBMASTER AND PAID WEB DESIGNER PROFESSIONAL asks him "how do I upload the page??" and usually ends in "FTP?? what is that???"

these people are paid to design and deploy web sites... and haven't heard of ftp in their life...... makes me weep.... it's like the time I had to help a netadmin pass his CCNA exam... and i'm a friggin programmer and sysadmin!!! WHAAAAA
      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I hate FTP. That's why god gave us rsync and sftp

Comment

I love FTP and it seems you do too squeaky sftp is still FTP, it's just using an encryption on the data going back and forth.

What most people don't like about FTP is the software they use to interact with the protocol. There are great FTP software out there that makes it extremely simple. The problem is, since most browsers support downloading from FTP. Because of this, most users assume that the browser is a full complete FTP client. Which we all know it isn't.
          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Now I'm not the most technically inclined person.... but I just use textpad to edit and SmartFTP to upload, and we're cooking with gas

Now if only I could get the moron staffers on the forum side of the site to behave themselves....
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
              textpad to edit and SmartFTP to upload, and we're cooking with gas
              Textpad (or vim) the REAL HTML editor.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                Emacs!

*runs*

Comment

ok, now I'll admit, you've all lost me LOL
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                    Ooooh...vi. I programed for 3.5 years of college in vi. AAARRRGHHH! I'm getting flashbacks...HJKL! HJKL! HJKL! The colons...oh, god, the COLONS!
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Ooooh...vi. I programed for 3.5 years of college in vi. AAARRRGHHH! I'm getting flashbacks...HJKL! HJKL! HJKL! The colons...oh, god, the COLONS!
                      For a while, I was doing all my coding in vim, and for a few semesters at school, the only typing I needed to do was amost entirely for programming. So when I actually had a normal paper to do in which I needed to use Word or something, my paper would be littered with ":w"'s all over the place.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                        ok, now I'll admit, you've all lost me LOL
                        Vim/vi is probably the most common text editor on *nix systems. It's an interesting editor that has a learning curve to it, but if you know what you are doing, you can edit a document much faster than you would with something like notepad.

Emacs is kinda a rival to Vim/vi and it can be interesting seeing the flame wars that errupt between the emacs people and the vi people.

Comment

Working...
                        X