Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent tales from the dollar store. (bad language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent tales from the dollar store. (bad language)

So here's some more doozies from my days at the Dollar Admiral.

Making yourself dizzy will not magically make carts appear

Backstory for this one, was busy and no carts in the store. Obviously I can't go out and get any because I was on register but it's not a big deal as the outdoor cart corral is only a few feet from the door and you have to walk past it to go inside.

Old lady comes in, looks at the empty cart corral and proceeds to spin around like 5 times. I ask her if she's ok and proceed to get yelled at because there were no carts in the store. I apologize and explain that all the carts are either being used or are in the corral right outside the door. She huffs and storms outside to get a cart.

We really need more customers like you

We have this one older gentleman who is a WONDERFUL customer. He worked like 50 years in retail so he understands our pain. He always comes in and jokes around with us and basically lifts our spirits whenever he comes in. He'll also let us say things to him that we want to say to some customers but can't without getting fired.

The other day he comes in, chit chats with us and then does his shopping. He got in line and the cashier starts ringing him up. One of the items wouldn't scan so he loudly says 'Gee then it must be FREE! Haw haw! I'm so creative I bet you've NEVER heard that before! Haw haw!'

My all time favorite though when was he was in line but couldn't get his regular brand of coffee because we were sold out. Without missing a beat he goes 'How DARE you not have my coffee! I'm NEVER coming back here again! See you tomorrow!"

Second time is NOT the charm for you

Kid comes up to the register with a box of diapers and a receipt and says he wants to exchange them. I tell him to go get what he wants and come back up. While he was gone it kinda dawned on me that I didn't remember him coming IN with a box of diapers. Unfortunately my cashier was on lunch so I couldn't go to the office to watch cameras. So I do the exchange since I can't PROVE anything and he leaves.

After cashier comes back from lunch I go right to the office and start watching cameras. Sure enough, dude walked in empty handed, went right to the diaper aisle, grabbed a box of diapers and came up front. Not only that, but the receipt he had was someone else's that he obviously found somewhere. Ok, lesson learned, put his name on the return blacklist and go about my business.

Well an hour later dumbass comes BACK to the store with a different package of diapers and tries returning those with the exchange receipt from earlier. He already had me pissed off by scamming me so I looked him dead in the face and said "Look here you little shit, I busted you ON CAMERA taking the diapers you exchanged earlier from the shelf. Get the fuck out of my store and if I ever catch you in here again I WILL call the cops and have your ass hauled to jail" Dude knew he was busted because he slinked out of the store.

I'm a little distracted so shove it

Back story here, it's been a rough weekend. Friday I got a flat tire on my way to a promotion interview. Sunday I had to be evacuated from my apartment building for 3 days because of a fire (no damage to my place except for smoke smell). Well I still went to work because it's how I deal with tragedy. But since I was a little distracted with the bad stuff going on, I forgot to do the price changes on tuesday.

Old lady comes up to the register with her items. One of them was some lysol spray that went up in price tuesday (five cents) but was still marked the old price. Cashier calls me up to fix the price. I apologize to the lady and admit my mistake that I didn't do the price changes. She starts going off on me that I must really be terrible at my job and how I'm trying to rip her off and I was probably hoping she wouldn't notice the price increase.

Again I apologize and only state that I was a little distracted and it was 1000% my fault. So then she says 'Well maybe you should find yourself a different job since you obviously can't do THIS one correctly' I lost it right there and shot back "Listen lady, I'm a little distracted because I'm temporarily homeless due to an apartment fire. It's quite possible that I have lost EVERYTHING so excuse me if I missed the price changes."

Yeah, lady knew she was pwned and didn't say anything else.

Oh heavens to Betsy, don't you realize your petty problems of losing your home to a fire hardly merit mentioning? You're ripping the customer off FIVE WHOLE CENTS!!! [/sarcasm]

Reality check on register one, please!

I'm glad your apartment wasn't too badly damaged, and I hope the smoke smell can be gotten rid of. That must've been awful for you.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
      Second time is NOT the charm for you

Kid comes up to the register with a box of diapers

Dude knew he was busted because he slinked out of the store.
      A couple weeks before Christmas, I walked out of Walmart and was accosted by a young woman who said she was doing a project for college. She needed my receipt because "they were doing a survey of what people buy at the store."

I wondered how many people handed them over for her shoplifting project, and if the store would process the return/exchange if she didn't have the little sticker on her item that the greeters give out.
      Last edited by EricKei; 05-22-2014, 08:24 PM. Reason: trimmed the quote

Comment

Our local Wal-Mart doesn't even have greeters anymore.
        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          Oh heavens to Betsy, don't you realize your petty problems of losing your home to a fire hardly merit mentioning? You're ripping the customer off FIVE WHOLE CENTS!!! [/sarcasm]

Reality check on register one, please!

I'm glad your apartment wasn't too badly damaged, and I hope the smoke smell can be gotten rid of. That must've been awful for you.
          It was worse for my poor cat, poor guy was terrified being outside while waiting for the firefighters to finish putting out the fire. And then was more terrified being in a strange hotel room for 3 days.

Smoke smell wasn't too bad at all. Landlord put ozonators in every apartment and it did a very good job eliminating the smoke. No smoke smell on my clothes or sheets at all. But the walls were nice and filthy

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
            A couple weeks before Christmas, I walked out of Walmart and was accosted by a young woman who said she was doing a project for college. She needed my receipt because "they were doing a survey of what people buy at the store."

I wondered how many people handed them over for her shoplifting project, and if the store would process the return/exchange if she didn't have the little sticker on her item that the greeters give out.

I was approached by a woman saying THIS same crap in December, 2012 in a WM parking lot!

I told her to get the **** out of my face before I smack her and make a citizen's arrest for scamming people. She bolted for the exit and was never seen again. Survey, my ass. WHAT do people buy for Christmas? Go to a store to buy things yourself and there's your answer!

Comment

But we know what people buy for Christmas: Things they can't afford and that the recipients generally don't actually want.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I once had a guy come up with a receipt and a kids' book he wanted to return (hardcover, around $17).

Too bad for him, the receipt was from when that same book had already been returned. I guess he failed to notice the word 'credit' next to the total line and the minus sign by the item number. "Sorry sir, I'm confused. This receipt shows this book has already been returned."

He ran. He must have picked up the receipt in the parking lot and not understood our mystical signs that show the cashiers what happened in that transaction.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Re : We really need more customers like you. Definitely need more customers like the one posted about in this.

I think stores should have something like a bingo card with all the various SC things. Once one of their employees fills a card up, they get a new card and a beverage of their choice absolutely free (Alcohol for most, but for those who don't drink alcohol they can choose something else to drink).
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post

Sometimes we have a greeter, sometimes we don't. They rarely check carts before customers leave. I'd imagine the scam is quite lucrative. I would have told a manager.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                    X