This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeez, Rude

I love my tutoring job. I tutor online. I've gotten a long list of compliments, like:

[Cooper] is an awesome tutor!
    You are an absolute angel!

But here are my pet peeves:

1: Upload your essay as a document. Don't copy and paste it into the TINY IM window.
    2: Don't leave before I'm done talking. It's rude rude rude. I can forgive it if we're clearly not done with the session yet, because then it's likely you had a tech problem. But if I'm about to do my ending spiel and you leave, that's rude.
    3: When I ask you to clarify the question, do not repeat the question! Especially if we're stuck in a loop doing it over and over again. If I keep asking, do something else!
    4: I know I'm usually helping you write essays, but it helps if I can understand what you're attempting to say.
    /rant
    Last edited by Cooper; 06-05-2014, 12:20 AM.

Quoth Cooper View Post
    I...4: I know I'm usually helping you write essays, but it helps if I can understand what you're attempting to say.
    I wanna "Eh?" for my grade.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post

But here are my pet peeves:

1: Upload your essay as a document. Don't copy and paste it into the TINY IM window.
      Does anyone ever upload a file that is just a giant wall of unformatted text?
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        Does anyone ever upload a file that is just a giant wall of unformatted text?
        It hasn't happened yet, but I don't doubt it will someday.

I found an example of a nonsense student I sent to a friend on IM (I'm not supposed to do this, but the urge to mock was too strong. I logged for the night when I was done with her, as mocking students is a sign I'm burning out.)

"ne of my idea is that you want to take ur writting exam and the patient of it come in"

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
          3: When I ask you to clarify the question, do not repeat the question! Especially if we're stuck in a loop doing it over and over again. If I keep asking, do something else!
          Oh how I hate that. Yo dumbass, you didn't express your point clearly enough (regardless of how clearly you think you did), repeating the exact same thing that didn't express the point the first time isn't going to clear anything up the second time around.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
            Oh how I hate that. Yo dumbass, you didn't express your point clearly enough (regardless of how clearly you think you did), repeating the exact same thing that didn't express the point the first time isn't going to clear anything up the second time around.
            Sadly, I had a teacher that did that! When I was freshman in high school, they stuck me in this Regents math class (god knows why, I have a word brain, not a numbers brain!). If I asked him to explain something again, he would repeat it in exactly the same words like a machine (I think he was an android in disguise). Look, if I didn't understand those sentences this first 13 times you said them, I'm not gonna get it on the 14th try!

I think I got a 40 on my final exam
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

List from a math teacher:

1) Math editors. They exist for a reason. Get one.
              2) If you feel uncomfortable with math editors for any reason, get creative. Technology is a wonderful thing. Hand write your work, take a picture and send it to me in JPEG format. I can work with that. I can't work with a giant wall of nonsensical text while you attempt to put into (often incorrect) words the numbers and symbols in your current problem.
              3) Don't come to me the day before a test and expect me to teach you three months worth of material. I've been called a miracle worker before, but I ain't that good.
              4) Sometimes a concept takes a few steps before in starts to make sense. Please let me get through my entire explanation before you start interrupting. 99.99% of the time, if you let me finish, your questions will be answered, with the bonus of taking far less time.
              5) I've been doing this a loooooooooooong time. You're paying me an obscene rate. Trust that I've got this pacing thing down and know when to stop to confirm understanding before going on. Refer to point number 4.

In other words, I feel your pain. Sometimes I just don't get students.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
              X