This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put you in your place, didn't I?

I worked a short afternoon shift today. No big deal, usually. A semi-regular of mine came in. Lovely woman, just not all there, and needed help with gas. We're more than happy to help her, anyway. I put my coat on, made sure no one was in the store, and went outside. As I was setting her pump up I noticed a guy heading toward the store, but thought nothing of it. I was just finishing setting the pump up when I heard a gruff "Hey! You gonna help me?"

I turned and saw the guy staring at me from the door of the store, narrowed my eyes, and resolved myself not to take his shit. I finished with the first lady's pump, went inside, and stepped behind the counter. In the most saccharine sweet voice I could muster, I told the jackass, "I'm sorry. I was helping her with gas."

Suddenly, jackass was stammering out apologies, saying he didn't know we pumped gas for people sometimes. The entire time he paid for his one single can of beer, he stammered out apologies. I assured him it was fine, but inside, I was grinning a wicked grin. It felt great to put an SC in their place for once, and in a way that I couldn't get in trouble for. No doubt the jackass will think twice before making a comment next time!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Also, his response to your explanation suggests that, somewhere in there, he does have a heart (and possibly a brain as well). There are always those SCs that would've gone full Entitlement Whore on you, despite your explanation. Let's hope that he has indeed learned his lesson.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I think he did, and he was young enough (late 20's) that he could learn. I know I was taking the risk of him going off, but I couldn't just let it go, given the circumstances.

Comment

Nope. You dealt with it excellently!
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Thanks. Even my cw L complimented me on it. I truly hope that everyone here gets to experience that feeling even if only just once, haha!

Comment

I had that happen once, tho I was not present at the time. An SC complained to my supervisor about me not smiling and looking miserable. My supervisor replied, "Sorry, but Lace went to her granny's funeral yesterday." Cue the SC being horrified at herself, withdrawing the complaint, and apologising profusely!
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I'm glad that she had the common decency to be embarrassed and apologize. People seem to get some sort of sick satisfaction out of demanding that retail workers smile no matter the amount of shit you give them.

Comment

Working...
              X