This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thankfully, Mommy was not my customer

A family came up to our store today and Mommy and Eldest Daughter came in. Daddy, Kid in Stroller, and Young Son stayed out in the halllway.

Well, sorta.

At one point I looked over and YS, who had a toy sword and shield, was stabbing away at boxes sitting on a shelf under a table. They were intended to be handy-dandy quick-buy gifts for people looking for just that sort of thing. There was nothing breakable in them, but they were intended to be sold ... and not with stab marks from some kid's toy sword.

Mommy was busy chatting with coworker and Daddy was out in the hallway with Kid in Stroller, doing who-knows-what. He sure wasn't keeping an eye on Sonny Jim.

I walked over, glared down at the kid and said, very quietly but with distinct harmonics of menace in my voice, "DON'T ... DO ... THAT."

Kid:

He slid over to Mommy and stayed there, peering out at me every so often, I guess to see whether The Monster with the Apron was going to bare her fangs again.

I went over to a Team Lead AND our District Manager, who was visiting for the day (heaven help me) and told them what had just happened, just in case there were any, um, repercussions. But if Sonny Jim complained to Mommy or Daddy, we never heard about it.

Alas, I was not told that I had ruined Christmas for anybody. Must try harder.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

We used to have to clock in and out at a register, and before the remodel it was easier for a random person to stand behind an unused register. I'd often walk up to the end register to clock out, and find a small child standing there, looking at me with this blank stare. I started out trying to be nice "go find your mommy please" or something. But that obviously did nothing.

So I started pretending the child was a dog or cat and just concentrate on my tone. I would say "NO. OUT." Very firmly, and glance around to see if I would get yelled at by the parent, but I never did. The parents weren't paying attention even a little bit.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Firm voice is my go-to as well. I've even found (usually after the fact!) that the parental unit might have been nearby a couple of times, but never been called out for it, probably because I only bust it out when Safety is a Concern - yes, swinging the turntable makes a lovely noise, but it also breaks fingers!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I suppose a case might have been made for a 'safety' factor here ... on the tabletop were several warmers -- heated by votive candles -- with containers of hot tea on them for customers to sample ... and the containers are glass.

Although to be fair, the kid wasn't aiming anywhere near those, and the table is fairly heavy and quite sturdy. It would've taken quite a jolt to knock one of those tea containers over. The warmers themselves are held down by Velcro, due to past issues that have nothing to do with children.

But thanks for the inspiration; I'll keep that in mind if ever there's a similar situation and Mommy/Daddy does get upset.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          I suppose a case might have been made for a 'safety' factor here ... on the tabletop were several warmers -- heated by votive candles -- with containers of hot tea on them for customers to sample ... and the containers are glass.

Although to be fair, the kid wasn't aiming anywhere near those, and the table is fairly heavy and quite sturdy. It would've taken quite a jolt to knock one of those tea containers over. The warmers themselves are held down by Velcro, due to past issues that have nothing to do with children.

But thanks for the inspiration; I'll keep that in mind if ever there's a similar situation and Mommy/Daddy does get upset.
          Don't underestimate the power of a kid to create the most unlikely of "accidents". They have a knack for doing things just so, to cause the most unlikely of scenarios.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Yep, and all it would take would be one mis-aimed lunge ... and at least one of those containers of hot tea would go flying, with hot liquid and glass everywhere ...
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

It is horribly unfortunate that we live in a world where "STOP stabbing and murdering merchandise" is a statement that needs a cover story.

And yet it does.

My retail days are over, but I've seen this first-hand so many times ... Mombot yakking on the phone while brat pulls every flower off a potted chrysanthemum and a cowed garden center employee looking angry and resigned in the background. A few times I've said something, even though that feels so damn officious.
              Last edited by MadMike; 11-25-2016, 03:39 AM. Reason: Removed derogatory name for children.

Comment

I used to work at the DMV, and I came back from lunch one day to find 3 kids (approximately 5 - 7 years old) literally chasing each other in circles and screaming at the top of their lungs.

I positioned myself at the counter where they would be heading right at me during one of their laps. Then as they got me in their line of sight, I pointed at them and hissed quietly, "Sit. Down." I also had The Look of Doom on my face. It was like flipping a switch.

Parents never complained. My staff didn't even realize what I had done. It helped that I maintained eye contact as they went over to their chairs and sat down quietly.
                To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
                To pursue it with forks and hope;
                To threaten its life with a railway share;
                To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

As a customer, I have no problem stepping out in front of a running child and saying, 'This is NOT a gymnasium. Stop running and go find your parent NOW.'

Comment

Working...
                  X