This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP William Peter Blatty

Best known for the novel that insprired The Exorcist., he wrote several other screenplays. He was 89.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Oh no ...

That damn novel nearly scared me into an early grave once. I was babysitting a young cousin. Details:

1) The house had two stories. Bedrooms were on the second floor.
    2) After cousin went to bed, I was sitting on the sofa, which faced the front door.
    3) There was a small table with a lamp on it beside the front door.
    4) On the other side of the wall behind the sofa was the bathroom. No way could cousin get to the bathroom without walking past me.

Late that night (NOT at midnight -- that would've just been way too cheesy) three things happened virtually simultaneously:

1) A radio upstairs went on
    2) The lamp by the front door went off
    3) The toilet flushed

Did I mention I was reading The Exorcist?

For a moment I literally froze. I could NOT move. I wasn't even sure I was still breathing. Finally I thought ... "Okay ... the lamp by the front door was probably on a timer ... the radio upstairs was probably set to 'alarm' and somebody had actually set it to, say, 11 p.m. rather than 11 a.m. ... the toilet ... the toilet ... well, I dunno, but I've never heard of a ghost dropping in to use the loo. Let's call it a plumbing problem.

"And I should go turn that radio off ... it'll wake cousin ..."

*walks over and looks up dark staircase* ...

"Fuck it; he'll go back to sleep."

No, I didn't go check if the lamp was on a timer. If it wasn't, I didn't want to know it.

Oh, and I also traded The Exorcist in for a Good Housekeeping magazine.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
    X