This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I'm the stupid one?

There are a lot of smokers who are nice and considerate people, worthy of nothing but respect...
    ... sadly not many of those shop where I work.
    A little background for the non smokers (of which, I am one), it has been illegal to market cigarettes as "light" or any variation thereof for at least two years now.
    Every day I get people, "I'll have a marboral menthol ultralight"
    When I ask which box that is I always get the response "what, are you stupid, it's the same box it's been in for years."
    Funny, because we have no product named marboral menthol ultralight... we have a marboral menthol ultrasmooth. But you know, everyone knows what that those are really the ultralights and anyone who knows them by the name actually on the box is just a moron. Because, you know, only a moron would ever decide not to smoke and therefor not know all the different nuances of the 500 different types of tobacco products... only a moron would believe that the name on the box is the name of the product... only a moron would know that legally there is no such thing as a "light" cigarette anymore.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Am I the stupid one?
    No.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      Because, you know, only a moron would ever decide not to smoke and therefor not know all the different nuances of the 500 different types of tobacco products... only a moron would believe that the name on the box is the name of the product... only a moron would know that legally there is no such thing as a "light" cigarette anymore.
      Gee, I never thought of myself as a moron before. But there it is.

For some reason that reminded me of this song.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Being a smoker and former gas station employee myself, knowing most people have special nicknames for their cigarettes.......they are the morons.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I do smoke, and the only ones I ever get are the Camel Blue. It says it right on the pack, but no one can ever find it without me saying Camel Lights. Every time I say "Blue" they start reaching for the ones with the crush-able menthol capsule.
          You call, I haul. You bitch, I unhitch!

Comment

This confusion stems from the change from the light/ultralight thing to whatever colors the companies chose. Myself, I've been working the C-store long enough to know both names for each cigarette. Someone just starting, like yourself, wouldn't, and most people don't understand that. Blame whoever decided that they couldn't say "light" or "ultralight" because people thought it meant they were "safer" to smoke!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

And then there's the ... oh, I don't know ..... 4 - 5 people a week (usually men, just sayin!) who saunter up to the counter and say "MARLBORO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Umm yeah, let's play the pointing game shall we?

Comment

I am an ex smoker and I work in a gas station. I figured out real quick that people expect you to know exactly what they want. Especially if they point really hard in the general direction of the cigarette case while grunting.

edit: Lol teefies! You and are on the same wavelength!
                Last edited by EricKei; 05-30-2014, 07:22 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                  And then there's the ... oh, I don't know ..... 4 - 5 people a week (usually men, just sayin!) who saunter up to the counter and say "MARLBORO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Umm yeah, let's play the pointing game shall we?
                  And don't forget the 1-2 people per week who walk up and only say 'I want a pack of cigarettes'

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                    And don't forget the 1-2 people per week who walk up and only say 'I want a pack of cigarettes'
                    Oh, those people learn quickly not to pull that with me... I'll find the most expensive box we sell and put it on the counter
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

LOL Smiley, I don't do that. They just get a very, very hard stare from me. Usually makes them fumble for a bit then go "oh...oh um Marlboro gold box" or whatever they're after. I might have to try your method in the future though!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                        LOL Smiley, I don't do that.
                        Considering that they didn't specify cheap cigarettes.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I admit to the vice of smoking. Of course, I am one of the polite ones about it (I do not like to smoke within 50 feet of non-smokers, a bit far but no one has complained).

I really do not like rude people or those that can not adapt to changes in general. If the worker does not know what you are talking about, take a minute and point to them on the shelf.

(of course I smoke American Spirit: light blue, a common but rather unusual brand that only a few people smoke. Organic Tobacco, nota safer tobacco, but no arsenic added by big tobacco.)
                          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                            Should be OK for most brands, but wouldn't the correct collective noun for Camels be "herd" rather than "pack"?
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Should be OK for most brands, but wouldn't the correct collective noun for Camels be "herd" rather than "pack"?
                              Considering that's how camels travel, I think you may be onto something.

I'm sorry but I've never understood the "Cigarette Game" even though I am a smoker myself. I do know that a lot of smokers are brand loyal.

Me, I walk into the quickie store and ask for a pack of Native Menthol 100's. It's not that hard to specify what you want, believe me.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X