X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The world revolves around me

I work in a clothing department store.

I'm Here!

At the store I work at, the registers are in what we call quads. There's three counters in a square shape, with a register at each corner. I was at one side, dealing with a line. I heard someone walk to the other side, facing my back, but assumed she was just fussing and getting her stuff together before she left.

Then I hear a bag rattle. I start to get suspicious, but think there's no way someone would willingly ignore an obvious line where other customers are still queuing at, and stand on the wrong side. Then I hear the bag rattle louder. There's no way I'm going to turn around and acknowledge her now. I don't indulge that kind of attitude.

Finally two customers later, I hear "Are you only taking people from that side?" I turn around and act surprised to see her, then say, "Yep, that's where the line is." She was perfectly nice to me once it was her turn again, but seriously? People can be crazy.

Closing Times Don't Apply to Me

There was someone new, and she didn't know to lock the doors at close. I headed over, but by the time I get there, a family had just entered. Immediately I call, "Sorry, we're closed." The Mom asks when the store closed, then prepared to leave. The dad, however, started to argue.

"She just came in from out of the country last night and needs a blazer. Can't you accommodate us?"
    In what took nearly five minutes, with me explaining how all the registers are being closed while we're speaking and how the store was already closed, and we needed to finish recovery and whatnot, eventually he left. My managers fully support closing time and actively help kick out late shoppers.

Who has a jacket emergency at nine o'clock at night? Now I stalk that door so I can guarantee it's locked on time.

Rules are for other people

For Mother's Day, there were two coupons released at the same time, one was $10 off a $10 purchase, and the other was $10 off a $25 purchase. Many customers came in with both of them, and wanted to do two transactions to use them both. Not a problem. This lady though, just irritated me.

She walks up to the register and throws a shirt and a pair of pants at me. I ring them up, then she thrusts the two coupons at me. If you're rude to me, I'm not going to volunteer any extra, so I just tell her, "Sorry, you can only use one per purchase."

"That's ridiculous! It doesn't say that." So I point it out to her where it does, in clear letters, 'one coupon per transaction'. It is the very first thing in the fine print. Then she grabs her coupons, yells "Fine. Then just skip it." I void out the purchase, then she gets an idea. It was almost cartoony how her expression changed. "I'll just get this here and get the other one at another register." So I rering her up, then let her go on her way.

I could have done all that right there, but my rule for working is to reward the good customers and not the rude ones.

Awesome Child

I walked into the fitting room nearest the swimsuits (always a disaster), and I see a 10ish year old girl picking up the swimsuits and hanging them on hangers. I start talking to her and ask what she's doing. She got bored waiting for her mom to try on clothes, and since all those 'rude people' didn't know they were supposed to hang their things up, she was going to. I tried to talk her out of it but she was insistent, so she and I chatted until her mom was done. Then I made a point to speak to her mom and tell her how awesome her daughter was. I also gave her an extra discount on her stuff.

People who raise children like that deserve to be rewarded.

I like that Awesome child. I we need more of her kind in the world.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
      I like that Awesome child.
      Ditto that, but more importantly, I like that Pixi has got the Retail Carrot and Stick routine down. Reward good, discourage suck. Woot!

Comment

Re: the blazer....Amazing what people insist they "need" at all times of the day and night, especially when a store is either not open yet, or has already closed.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I got the first one. Man stood at the till behind me. I knew he was there, but he was browsing the stuff on that till (chocolates, sweets etc) and didn't seem to be waiting. So I left him. And soon got him yelling, "HEY why are you serving those customers before me I've been waiting here for 10 minutes blah blah blah!" When I told him that the queue was this side he demanded that he cut in front of the others because of waiting and I told him to get to the back of the line. He did and when it was finally his turn to be served he spent the entire transaction yelling at me and being unbelievably rude. How I managed to keep my cool I do not know.

Comment

The more you smile the angrier they get.

My favourite one. Stores closing. Big 10% off sale on all cameras. People everywhere. All staff occupied.

Someone walks in. A metre in to be precise.

10 seconds later. "Can someone serve me!?"

Being the closest, and in charge at the time, I said, "Just head to the counter at the back, someone will be with you soon."

"I'm in a hurry. I'm a doctor on call!"

To which I just shrugged and returned to my customer

Comment

"I'm in a hurry. I'm a doctor on call!"
              And yet he took the time to come into the store because, hey, 10% off cameras, can't pass that up even with patients waiting, right?
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                .... I'm a doctor on call!"
                As a proctology example?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Hooray for awesome child and her mom.

I have the same rule for working. You're nice to me, I'm nice to you. You're rude, I do the minimum I have to to get them their crap and get them the hell out.

Comment

Quoth Pixi_kitty View Post
                    Then I hear a bag rattle. I start to get suspicious, but think there's no way someone would willingly ignore an obvious line where other customers are still queuing at, and stand on the wrong side. Then I hear the bag rattle louder. There's no way I'm going to turn around and acknowledge her now. I don't indulge that kind of attitude.
                    Ugh, what is with people being so rude when trying to get someone's attention? In the land of cubicles, where I work, it's a common occurrence to have people walk up to your cube, end with a fllourish : 'stomp-STOMP' and stare at the back of your head until you acknowledge them. Instead of doing something as mundane as saying "Hello" or the like... I ignore them until they figure out how to use their voice. I'm horribly rude that way.
                    Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                    At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Working...
                    X