This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two from this weekend.

I made it through the weekend without too many noticeable incidents, aside from these two customers - one from yesterday and one from today. This might be long and a little rant-y but I just got done working a week straight at my store and I need to vent a little.

The one yesterday was a customer one of my cashiers had. My cashier called me over the walkie and asked me if I could come back to see what we could do about a belt for a customer. The cashier had been trying to help this lady find a belt, and the lady picked out one that somehow didn't have a price tag and was the only one like it. No big deal, usually we just grab a similar item and scan it (it does throw off inventory but there aren't really any other options for this situation on a busy Saturday). Oh, but if only it were that easy with this lady. There were some belts on clearance for like $4.99 and of course she was asking my cashier if we could just use one of the clearance belts so she could get the belt for a lot cheaper because, in the customer's words, "There are belts on clearance that have more gems on them and this is just a simple plain belt" (Okay, that's cool, but we have simple plain belts that are like $15 - just because something is more plain doesn't automatically make it cheaper. But of course your average customer won't know that.)

So I grudgingly allow my cashier to scan a clearance belt for $4.99 (this is the cheapest price we have for the belts) and the customer seriously after already getting a nice belt for $4.99 tries to barter with me further and asks if there is any way to "make the price lower" than $4.99. FOUR NINETY-NINE.

Now we have an option where we can do a 10% discount on items that are defective, or for "customer satisfaction" but we are not allowed to do more than 10%. We can use the discount at our discretion, both managers and cashiers alike. So I told the lady the most I could do without getting into trouble was to give her another 10% off of the clearance price which I thought was more than fair. I cannot, however, actually change the price of the item as price override is only for situations where our discounts or promos are not ringing in correctly.

She hesitantly agreed to this, I thought the problem was solved, and I left my cashier to finish up with her. About five minutes later, my cashier comes and finds me in the store and tells me that the lady still didn't want to get the belt even after that and asked for her to get her manager again because she didn't think that price was fair.

SERIOUSLY THIS IS NOT A FREAKING STREET FAIR! We do NOT negotiate prices! What is wrong with people, honestly? I don't get to just make up a price and change the price on an item in our system. It asks for a reason why you are overriding the price and LP flags price overrides. They are not to be used willy-nilly. That's what the customer satisfaction discount is to be used for. I don't understand why people think it's okay to bargain and try to get me to lower the price. This is not a Middle Eastern bazaar or a flea market or something, it's a corporate owned store.

I guess the lady left when my cashier came to find me so I didn't have the pleasure of informing her that the price was final and she could take it or leave it because I knew full well that the belt was not a clearance belt so really I was already giving her a deal and she couldn't even be happy or thankful for that? I could have told my cashier to use one of the UPCs from one of the full price belts instead but I was trying to be nice and let her use a UPC from a clearance belt to get it for the sale price and she still had to push to get even more of a discount. Like I might as well give you the damn belt for free, right?

UGH. PEOPLE.

Then today, we close at 6 on Sundays, like pretty much EVERY mall in America. I don't work Sundays that often but it was my Sunday to work this week. However, I have worked many Sundays at this particular mall (different store) and every week it's like people just really either forget it is Sunday or they just don't care. So we lock the doors and turn off the music, and we still had a couple people finishing up in the store. One lady was wandering around just slowly picking at everything and taking her sweet time. She didn't get to the register to pay until like 6:15. Then there was a couple who walked in at 6:01 and when my co-worker asked them if they needed help, they were like, "Oh just browsing."

So they were slowly meandering around the store during this entire time as well and finally my co-worker told them, "Guys we are getting ready to close the registers." And the guy was like, "Alright." No, "Oh I'm sorry!" or, "Oh my god didn't realize you were closing!" Just, "Alright." like we are inconveniencing them or something. So finally they paid and left and we finally were able to get cleaned up for the night. Of course we clocked out late because of this couple. We're not allowed to tell people we are closing until around a quarter after if they're still shopping but at least we can say something at some point. Some places I've worked didn't want you to say anything at all which I think is completely ridiculous.

I don't think it's rude to tell customers you're closing and they need to pay for their sh*t or get out honestly. If I'm somewhere and I hear a closing announcement or I know it's close, I skedaddle. I knew this even before I worked in retail. Why are people so inconsiderate when it's closing time? I don't know if people who have never worked in retail realize that we don't just lock up and go home. We have to stay for at least another hour or more after people leave.

So anyway, not huge ones but just aggravating enough for me to feel the need to post here and validate to myself that I'm not the crazy one for thinking that my store should not be a free-for-all with every item costing whatever the customer thinks it should cost, or a place where people screw around after close and keep us late.

Can you change and turn up the music in the speakers in the store so that any stragglers get the hint?

Comment

Aaaaaand you gotta do it all with a plastic smile, no doubt...

"Welcome to my happy world, / Now get your shit and leave!"
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

"We're getting ready to close the registers."

*beat*

"We've closed the registers, turned off half the lights, locked the doors, the cashiers have gone home, and we're cleaning the floors. Please be careful on your way out."

*beat*

"I need to take this display down." *begin disassembling whatever they're looking at*

"Oh, that one too." *do it again. Rinse/repeat.*

Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Last night we didn't get out until 9:15. ASM somehow let three people waltz in at 9:02 (two of whom are a couple who has done this before, and he knows this) to 'only grab one thing'. With the couple, that one thing turned into a basketful and they used the checkout to decide what they actually wanted (at least they were up front...). They refused to use SCO, so S had to open a register and explain that they needed to pay using plastic...that didn't go over well but at least they eventually paid and got out.

I reminded ASM that technically any non-employees in the store after closing are trespassing (and should be treated accordingly), but he didn't get it.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

"We will be releasing the Security Dobermans in five minutes. They are trained to chase anyone NOT in a store uniform. Please come up fron to the checkout counter immediately."

*4 minutes pass*

"You. Yes, you, in the back. You have been staring at the toilet paper for ten minutes now. You have less than sixty seconds to come and check out. We weren't kidding about the Dobermans."

*60 seconds later, dude is now looking at paper plates*

"Well, you can't say we didn't warn you. RELEASE THE HOUNDS!"
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

One place I worked had a recording of large barking dogs that someone in the back would play over the PA right at closing with the comments: "Everyone has their shirts or chips on, right? Can we release the dogs now?" The theory being that all employees not in uniform were holding something that told 'guard dogs' to ignore us.

The one time someone tried to call our bluff, the manager had her dog with her; an intimidating-looking mastiff who was a huge cuddle-pile to anyone she knew, but wary of non-packmates. Dog proceeds to lick or ignore the employees and growl at the interloper

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                One place I worked had a recording of large barking dogs that someone in the back would play over the PA right at closing with the comments: "Everyone has their shirts or chips on, right? Can we release the dogs now?" The theory being that all employees not in uniform were holding something that told 'guard dogs' to ignore us.

The one time someone tried to call our bluff, the manager had her dog with her; an intimidating-looking mastiff who was a huge cuddle-pile to anyone she knew, but wary of non-packmates. Dog proceeds to lick or ignore the employees and growl at the interloper
                This is so amazing I just can't even stand it! I would love to be able to do something like this! EricKei, we were joking last night that us employees turn into zombies after 6 pm and you have five minutes to get your shit and leave before we turn into flesh-eating corpses that chase customers out the door. Or like Gremlins - don't feed the mall employees after 6 pm on Sunday because we WILL hunt you down!

We turn off the music and lock the doors right at close to give people the hint to get out. We have the kind of doors that lock on the outside but you can still push them open to get out, so customers can still leave but more of them can't come in. So whoever is in the store can finish up until about a quarter after, and no more customers can come in. Of course, that doesn't stop people from pulling on the doors. I counted about four different people who pulled one set of doors - surprise, it's locked! Then they go to the other set and pull on those, too. I don't get people who do that! Can someone please explain to me why people insist on pulling on BOTH sets of doors (also, our hours are CLEARLY posted at eye level by both sets of doors)?

When I'm not sure if a business is closed, I always read the hours first before trying the doors. I hate the sound of someone pulling annoyingly on locked doors. If someone pulls on one, realizes, and walks away, okay. It's the people who pull on BOTH repeatedly and rattle the doors incessantly that piss me off. This happens on a daily basis too!

Oh and then one last gem, as I was setting the alarm (lights are off, we're leaving to go home of course) I see a big group of people just standing right outside the doors staring at us like Night of the Living Dead. I had just set the alarm so we have only a few seconds to get out the door and I was afraid these people were trying to get in while we were trying to get out. So the alarm is beeping, and I let my girls go ahead of me and quickly shut the door behind me. The group in unison goes, "Awww, are you guys closed?"

WHAT.

No, we are locking up and leaving just for the hell of it. The lights are off, you just saw me set the alarm through the window. WTF. So my co-worker (who is really hilarious and awesome) in a super fake voice goes, "Yes we closed at six! You can come back tomorrow at 10 am!" Mind you - we are scheduled to leave an hour after we close, so by the time we closed at almost 6:30 it was going on 7:30 by this point and the entire mall except for the restaurants closes at 6 pm. It wasn't even close to 6 anymore. WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING! Nobody else is open either!

The group of people just continues staring at us expectantly as we are trying to walk away and the lady adds, "You mean my pleading face didn't convince you to open back up for us?" My co-worker gave one of those fake, "Oh haha" laughs and repeated, "Nope! Tomorrow. At. Ten. AM." And we cheerfully walk away while they just continue standing there.

Seriously, it's Sunday night. Almost everyone closes early aside from 24 hour big box stores. We are not a big box store. We are a boutique in mall that has regular mall hours. Sometimes I wonder if people think that because our mall is an outdoor pavilion center with restaurants and apartment buildings that we just never close or something. Even though the operating hours are posted everywhere and on the website too.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                  Can you change and turn up the music in the speakers in the store so that any stragglers get the hint?
                  Or just turn it off, along with the lights.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Damn, what a missed opportunity for a "Here's your sign" joke!
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

You know, in my entire life it has never once occurred to me to ask (or expect!) someone to re-open a store for me after it has closed for the day. Not once. For some reason, my mama didn't raise me to believe the world revolved around me
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The barking-dogs recording was thought up by the manager one night; the store did have a motion alarm, so once it was set everyone absolutely had to be out. This was a small store where the manager was the owner, so complaints didn't get far and she would generally back us unless something was completely off base.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                          I can think of a couple songs for the closing time playlist:

Closing Time
                          Hit The Road Jack

Any other suggestions?
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Where I work now we closed at 5:30 on Memorial Day. The signs are posted at both doors at eye level (and have been for the last week or so). We had a couple walk in just before we closed. Came up to the front after the closing announcement and said, "If we had known you were closing so soon we wouldn't have come in."
                            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                              Where I work now we closed at 5:30 on Memorial Day. The signs are posted at both doors at eye level (and have been for the last week or so). We had a couple walk in just before we closed. Came up to the front after the closing announcement and said, "If we had known you were closing so soon we wouldn't have come in."
                              I'd be like, "That's nice. Now get out." Seriously, what the eff is wrong with people? And yeah, the people standing outside of my store when we left were kind of like "jokingly" asking us to reopen the store, but also making it very known that they were displeased that we dared to be closed at 7:30 pm on a Sunday night in a mall that closes at 6 pm. They did a collective annoying whiney, "AWWWW!" Good grief. You could tell there was a bit of dismay when they realized that we were NOT re-opening the store for them. So it was one of those kind of, "Joking but not" awkward moments.

My mom taught me to be polite and kind, ain't no way it would even cross my mind to jokingly ask a group of employees to re-open the store for me. I was gritting my teeth the whole time they were standing there braying about not being able to go shop in our store. And by shop, they were going to likely just walk around and mess everything up again without buying anything. It was definitely a "get these people the HELL away from me right now!!!" moment for all of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X