This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just can't believe...

...that you would offer me exactly what I wanted! I'm going to chalk this one up to "language barrier" simply because I don't quite have the capacity to speak "Blazing Idiot." Here's the call:

SC: Mother of the Bride
    Me: Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu...!

Some background on this: when this SC called, I had a guest waiting for some blankets, I had one of my managers on hold, and then this person called. In addition, as per my other thread, I was having a pretty bad day before this. Naturally, it means things had to go downhill fast.

SC: Hi, I apologize for calling so late, I travel a lot and I'm in another time zone.
    Me: (Super. Great. And?) Well I'm happy to help. (He lies...)
    SC: My daughter is getting married next week and they have a room reserved there on (date), and I wanted to see what we could do in terms of having some things set up in their room before they come back from the wedding.
    Me: Well, we can absolutely do that; while we don't have a florist or room service that we run, we can take delivery of items and either hold them at the desk, or arrange them in the room for you.

Ok, so, perfectly normal conversation thus far. The MOTB asked for something, I told her we can do it easily, no problem right? Ha, you must not read my threads often enough if you think that. Nothing is ever that easy!!

SC: Well I just can't believe that you all don't offer something like that at your hotel like the Marriott next door does.
    Me: ...? Well, I apologize that we don't have room service, but...
    SC: I am a Marriott Platinum member! I know for a fact that if we moved them over there, they would have everything set up for them just fine! I just can't believe this!
    Me: (What the hell? Did you not know we didn't have room service or a florist in the hotel?) Well, there are a number of florists and such who deliver around the hotel, such as (name) and-
    SC: Yes, (florist name), I'm very familiar with them.
    Me: Now I'm not 100% sure of who delivers chocolate covered strawberries here, though I know there are some companies nearby who do, and I'm certain there would be options for champagne as well, and we could get all that into the room, we just don't carry it ourselves.
    SC: I just can't believe that you all won't work with me on this, and take some ownership of this problem!!!

Ok, one, I told you that we could do an arrangement of anything you delivered to the hotel. Two, fuck you, the only reason you're saying "take ownership" is because you're trying to use some hotel slang fuckword to try and get me to jump into action like Hotel Man! The problem here is that I associate anyone saying the words "take ownership" with the words "HR Douchebag" and tend to want to slap them. At this point I'm giving the phone the middle finger and hoping someone strolls by with a shotgun to help put me out of my misery.

SC: Can I have a manager call me in the morning!? I mean, I just don't understand why you won't offer any help at all. I would be bringing the food, flowers, and champagne to the hotel myself, but no one there can even set it up??

SCREEEEECH! Wait a second. I want to scroll back up for a second. Let's rewind, and look at something I told you right at the start of this conversation: "Well, we can absolutely do that; while we don't have a florist or room service that we run, we can take delivery of items and either hold them at the desk, or arrange them in the room for you." Remember that sentence? That happened in the first 30 seconds of this conversation, and includes a description of us doing exactly what you wanted us to do in the first place. So, in other words, you've sat here screaming at me for the last several minutes because I offered you what you wanted.

I think this calls for another bear.

It took several more minutes to bring her around to the fact that we did, in fact, do exactly what I told her we did in the first place...but I'm still gonna warn the managers about her in the morning. Just in case. Because I'm sure she still doesn't understand what I told her quite right.

"That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

I'm pretty sure MOTBs are a special type of insane. They only listen to about half of what you say. They will also call back 20x times and go over the exact same stuff again and again and again, and I swear as soon as you utter the words "we don't have" they stop listening right at that point and flip their sh*t. You must choose words carefully when dealing with MOTBs, or you'll get sucked into the crazy spiral and never get them off the phone.

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
    SC: I am a Marriott Platinum member! I know for a fact that if we moved them over there, they would have everything set up for them just fine! I just can't believe this!
    Then, why don't you just send them to the Marriott?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
      SC: I am a Marriott Platinum member!
      Tell that to someone who cares. There's at least a nonzero chance that you'll find such a person at the actual Marriott. Speaking of which, why don't you have a room there for the happy couple, if you're so loyal to them...?
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
        I'm pretty sure MOTBs are a special type of insane. They only listen to about half of what you say. They will also call back 20x times and go over the exact same stuff again and again and again, and I swear as soon as you utter the words "we don't have" they stop listening right at that point and flip their sh*t. You must choose words carefully when dealing with MOTBs, or you'll get sucked into the crazy spiral and never get them off the phone.

Then, why don't you just send them to the Marriott?
        Maybe because THEIR mom steamrolled over them at their own wedding? So now they can have what they want!

I've been the MOTB. I paid for the wine at the reception, tied hundreds of ribbons, wrote the check and kept quiet unless asked for an opinion. It was not my day, so why should I even get involved in planning it? It was a resounding success, the bride and groom did a wonderful job on their own.
        It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

"Well you may be a Marriott platinum member sir but this ISN'T the Marriott. Either you can work with us and we'll do what we can to accommodate your request or you can go over there".

Also, am the only one who thought "Take ownership" meant the SC was fishing for some kind of credits/freebies/discounts?
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I am a Marriott Platinum member!
            And I'm a Platinum member of the "I Don't Give a Shit" Club. We're taking applications now

Having her nose so high in the air must have interfered with her hearing.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              And I'm a Platinum member of the "I Don't Give a Shit" Club. We're taking applications now
              OH OH OH Where do I sign up?
              How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Quoth TimmyHate View Post
                OH OH OH Where do I sign up?
                I'm sorry sir, you seem far too interested in this club. I feel like you do give a shit. Possibly even 2. We don't allow that here.

Or whatever come on in. IDGAS.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Their motto: "Don't give a shit, make them pay for it."
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I think "take ownership" meant MOTB wanted him to take her list and do all the work. Find a florist, get the arrangement right, set up delivery. Find the champagne, the strawberries, the lingerie, the contraceptives, whatever the hell she wanted. I am not clear if she wanted the hotel to pay for it. Maybe she wanted you to add it to the happy couple's bill.

Comment

This whole mess could have been avoided if you had spoken very slowly and used small words. Clearly her brain was full

Comment

Quoth sylvier View Post
                        This whole mess could have been avoided if you had spoken very slowly and used small words. Clearly her brain was full
                        But eet's only a wafer-thin declarative statement...
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth sylvier View Post
                          I don't handle "monosyllabic" very well ;p
                          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                          "What IS fun to fight through?"
                          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                          X