This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion and new store = different batch of SC's

So my adventures at the Dollar Admiral have changed. Got promoted to store manager and took over a store in a small town that I worked in for 6 years when I was at Awful-mart.

I left that Awful-mart store in 2012 so it's been over 2 years since I've been in that town but people still remember me. I've only been in charge for a week and had customers come in and remember me from Awful-mart and were all happy to see me again and glad I came back to town.

BUT as with any retail job, no matter where you go there will always be SC's. Except now instead of lower income sloths I get to deal with mostly Old goats/codgers.

Positive - only been asked once in a week 'Do you work here?' Whereas at my old store I would get asked that like 3 times a day. Customers are generally great and nice

And heeeeeeeeeere comes the stories of my first week as store manager (although the stories wouldn't be any different if I was just cashier or assistant manager)

1)Old lady comes in running in at 8:01 on Sunday morning to return a 50 cent greeting card because it had offensive language. The card was a graduation card that on the inside said 'Congrats smarty'. Apparently 'smarty' is offensive and nobody told me.

2)Old man comes in and I knew he would be trouble. Shirt was half open and he was chewing on a toothpick. I don't know what is in those toothpicks that cause old men to become major asses.

Ok, so I'm doing some work in the grocery aisle just a few feet away from the registers and he comes up to check out, plops his stuff down and immediately yells 'HELLO? WHERE"S THE CASHIER?' I come up to the register and apologize and explain that I can't just be standing around and he huffs and tries to pull the old 'I've been waiting forever' excuse. I just swear in my head, ring him up and of course he throws the money at me. I hand him his change, say thank you, and he just grabs his bag and leaves without saying anything. So of course I had to reply 'And you have a nice day too!'

3)This one was a middle aged lady. Returns $25 worth of food and is ASTONISHED that I just started throwing it away. I tried explaining to her that even though it's not the law, the health department HIGHLY discourages retail establishments restocking food and medicine once it's left the premises. With all the crazy lawsuits in this country, better safe then sorry.

4)BSC old lady comes in this morning (she has a general nasty attitude as I remembered her from my Awful-mart days), buys some stuff which included a 4 pack double roll of Angel Soft TP. Tosses her wadded up money on the counter, gives me a dirty look when I place her change on the counter, and leaves.

Comes back 20 minutes later screaming at me because I charged her $2.25 for the TP when it was on sale for $1. I look at the ad and her receipt and point out that the sale is for the 4 pack REGULAR roll and you bought the 4 pack DOUBLE roll. She rips the receipt and ad out of my hand, flips me off and storms out.

5)Apparently myself and my co-workers are doing cartwheels in celebration because the Kinfolk Dollar down the street is closing. Why would we be celebrating? Certainly not because 10 people are going to be losing their jobs. And people seem to think that we will reap the rewards of them closing. Uhm, hate to break it to you, but our store does maybe $2000-$3000 a day. With Kinfolk Dollar closing I really don't see much of a bump in business, especially with Awful-mart still down the road. And not only that, but that Kinfolk Dollar store was never very busy anyways. I hardly EVER saw more then 3 cars in their parking lot.

So yeah, those are my tales from just my first week at a new store. At least the money is REALLY GOOD!

Quoth drjonah View Post
    3)This one was a middle aged lady. Returns $25 worth of food and is ASTONISHED that I just started throwing it away.
    Did she then ask if you could give her the food for free. Since, you know, you were throwing it away anyway. Yeah. Customers suck.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
    X