Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the need to remark on someones personal appearance?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's odd that customers feel the need to comment on your hair or clothes or weight or whatever. I am at the store to get whatever product or service and as long as you do your job I don't care if your hair is strange or you're very short. Some customers are very badly trying to make small talk. For other customers, I think it's more of how you're not supposed to have a life outside of work.

Comment

"Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on human number 6,384,917,185. This model was delivered with factory settings but has been since modified by its end user, and as such we no longer offer factory replacement skins for this particular unit. Thank you for your inquiry, and have a nice day."
      It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Frankly I wish I had the nerve to go pastel with my hair. If I ever strip out all of the color, maybe I will!
        Now that I'm going gray, I'd like to put some colorful stripes in my hair. I know a gray lady who did that - pink, blue, and purple stripes in short gray hair - and it's very cute. I could live with that.

Comment

I bleached my medium brown hair "white" when I got old... for my 50th birthday in 2001. it's still dark... and my DYD has been pulling white hairs out of it for 30 years.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Frankly I wish I had the nerve to go pastel with my hair.
            Aha! I knew I wasn't gray-haired--now I know that it's just "naturally pastel"!!
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
              "Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on human number 6,384,917,185. This model was delivered with factory settings but has been since modified by its end user, and as such we no longer offer factory replacement skins for this particular unit. Thank you for your inquiry, and have a nice day."

Love it

I agree that if someone has body mods that you like, its usually OK to say something. If you don't like them, say nothing unless the person involved asks AND if you are in the sort of relationship with them to be brutally honest, the best sort of thing to say is something like "Its not something that I would do, but if you are happy, that is all that matters."

I'm old. I really admire some of the things that people are doing to themselves. I'm always worried about saying something to a younger stranger. I'[m afraid that she or he will think "Oh S***!!! That old lady thinks my hair is wonderful. If it makes old people happy, I must be doing something wrong! I think I'll go home and shave my head!".

Comment

It's because by dying your hair you're asserting personal identity. They don't like that. It reminds them we're human beings, not robotic representatives of the company we work for who are here to be screamed at about things beyond our control. I suspect the only reason we're even allowed to make eye contact with our customers is because in most Western countries, looking at someone's face when you speak to them is a sign of respect. Otherwise we'd have to keep our eyes down like the good little peons we are.

What, me bitter? No way!

/me grabs cookies and goes to in corner.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

People in my family have a strong tendency to have bright, bright blonde hair as children, almost to the point of it appearing white in the right lighting; an aunt of mine, in particular, bypassed the "almost" part entirely; it darkens by puberty for all of us. On the opposite side of the spectrum -- a teacher I had in high school, who was at least in his 70's at the time, had a naturally shock-white, full head of short curly hair.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                    If you don't like them, say nothing unless the person involved asks AND if you are in the sort of relationship with them to be brutally honest, the best sort of thing to say is something like "Its not something that I would do, but if you are happy, that is all that matters."
                    To quote Tim Gunn - "Well, if that's the look you want, you sure have a good one."

One of my former neighbors, who was an EMT, had frequently changing hair color. My only issue with that is it's hard on your hair.

My hair is in the darker strawberry blonde range. But, because I spend so much time outside, it's got a lot of streaky blonde highlights, and there's a lot of copper streaks, too. I've had several people not believe me that it's all natural.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Frankly I wish I had the nerve to go pastel with my hair. If I ever strip out all of the color, maybe I will!
                      I see more and more gray in my hair if I go too long without dyeing it. I guess it's naturally stripping its own color!
                      Last edited by XCashier; 11-03-2016, 01:52 AM. Reason: fixed misspelling
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                        For other customers, I think it's more of how you're not supposed to have a life outside of work.
                        Yeah, that's the bit that gets to me. Workers have lives/opinions too.

If I like someone's hair, or necklace, or something, I say so. Otherwise, I don't say anything.
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

1970's

I grew up watching the British TV show U.F.O. in the 1970's so I find it strange that someone in the year 2016 would be commenting on hair colour.

See: https://www.google.ca/search?q=ufo+t...mmDqMQ_AUIBygC

PS. I watched it because I loved SF shows not for the girls in short dresses .... really!

Comment

i've been dying my hair blue for 2 years now and i've never had anybody say anything bad about it. you can't miss it, long wavy royal blue hair, in the sunlight it's almost neon. i've gotten lots of compliments on it and a few have said they wished they could do it but their work wouldn't allow it. i did ask my work for approval first before i colored it and they didn't have a problem with it. i don't think i could ever go back to a natural color now
                            there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Updates since I last posted...I was able to "positively" comment on someone's appearance today. One of my clients had the most ugly ever (to me) tattoo on his neck and side of his face. As we were doing the interview, he mentioned that it was new* and asked how I liked it. I looked him over and then said "Dude, if that is the look you are going for...you totally rock it."

Your hair sounds beautiful, AyreBiskits. I would be a silent admirer because I don't know you personally, but I certainly would tell my sweetie and my friends about the lady I saw with the amazing hair.

As an aside...earl, I looked at your link. I'm an old woman and I still had to fan myself after looking at the snapshots. Of course you just watched them for the genre. I'm a fan of grade B movies myself, but I like the ones that have monsters stomping cities better. I can watch them while listening to Godzilla

*which I could tell by the fresh scabs. That he scratched all the time he was in my cube Lots of bleach wipes were used after he left my cube.

Comment

Off Topic:

There's a new Godzilla movie out, called ShinGodzilla. I forget what shin means in Japanese. My hubby went and saw it in Denver, at some kind of film society's theater. IIRC* its made by Toho!

*which is dubious, since 4 concussions, and a mini-stroke, have made it worse and worse. :-(
                                I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                                - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Working...
                                X