This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, we'll rearrange the whole store JUST for you

I had two customers this week complain that a product was an inconvenient spot for them and it needed to be moved.

First woman: You need to tell your manager to stop putting the English muffins on the bottom shelf. We buy them all the time and we're old and we shouldn't have to bend down all the way to the floor to pick them up.

Me: Uh, sure, I'll pass it along.

Just yesterday the boss put up a sign that says "Never say no to a customer. If you can't help them, call over a manager." So when the second lady complained about agave nectar on the top shelf, I actually called the manager down.

Second lady: You need to talk to your manager about moving the agave nectar to a lower shelf. I'm short and you shouldn't put something I buy regularly up so high. Last time I tried to reach the shelf and a jar fell and almost hit me.

I called the manager down and he explained that our store schematic is set and we can't move things around just because you'd rather have them on a shelf at eye level.

Second lady: But you moved them for me before!

Uhh, no. Periodically we do a reset of the aisles, taking away things that don't sell, bringing in new product. We didn't rearrange the store for you.

I know it sucks that your favorite product isn't easy to grab, but SOMETHING has to go on the top shelf and SOMETHING has to go on the bottom shelf and if we move your product to make you happy, it's going to make someone else upset because now their favorite thing got moved. We'll be happy to grab your jar of agave for you so it doesn't fall on your head, but really, how self-centered do you have to be to assume a store will rearrange their aisles just for your convenience?

Me: Uh, sure, I'll pass it along.
    Scratching my head, here...How is that telling them "No"...? o_O Not really sure if the manager misinterpreted what they said, or if they just lied about it to him. My money's in the latter.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If SC wants product at a different location, she needs to contact the producer. Retail shelf space is rented by the manufacturer. I used to work for one of the majour food producers, and they have people who's full-time job is to visit the stores and verify that their products are displayed in the retail positions they paid for.

Comment

This reminds me of a customer I had earlier this week who wanted to buy a small bottle of beer that was in the make your own six pack section. Every can and bottle of beer in the section has a bar code on it, and if you scan it separately, a message pops up on the screen stating item not found. She wanted me to sell it to her individually.

According to store policy, only the beer and wine section employees can do that. So I paged them 3 times for customer assistance at the register I was assigned to. She continued insisting that I sell it to her individually. No one from that section came to my register.

I had to have a store manager assist her, and he told her that the only way she could get the beer is by making a six pack. There are individual hand held carriers with the plu code at the bottom, and when you scan the plu code, it rings up as the price for a six pack. The look on her face showed that she did not like her answer.

I overheard customer service page for a manager several times after she left. I wondered if she called the store after she left.

Comment

A long time ago, had this regular customer (real jerk) and buy some insoles (maybe his problem was that he wasn't gellin ). Anyway, he comes up to the register slams them on the counter and bitches about how we keep moving stuff around. Fair enough, the foot stuff used to be on the other side of the store. Until it was moved about a year before. Wha wha wha.

It's pretty rare for our stuff to make any kind of major moves. The most I've seen was on the last bunch of revisions where pretty much everything flip flopped.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Just this week a lady in a motorized wheelchair asked me nicely to reach something for her, I did, and she thanked me and motored away. That's one way to do it.

Comment

The local grocery recently did one major change which seems completely illogical to me -- They took down their huge soup racks that allowed them to present a dozen or more cans of soup per slot, and changed over to standard half-height boxes. Much, much less efficient, and doing so also required that they expand the soup section all the way to the front of the aisle x.x Sadly, I don't recall what got taken out (or moved elsewhere) as a result.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I know there's something (can't remember what right now) that I buy at the grocery store that is half hidden behind a support beam. Yet somehow it never occurred to me to demand it be moved for MY convenience. Once I was talking to an employee at that store, and she said that while it was getting remodeled many people told them they should just remove those beams. Um, they're what's keeping the roof from falling down...

Speaking of that remodel, they changed the design of the produce section, so that there is a solid L shape, instead of having a gap there customers could walk through. It used to be like this: | __ If that makes sense. I don't like the new way, it creates big cart jams in the corner, which didn't happen previously. And yet it's not the end of the world. Sheesh.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Gotta wonder how these folks would cope with Costco, which moves quite a bit of their inventory EVERY NIGHT... it's to keep people searching around the store, so they make impulse buys of stuff they otherwise might never see.
                  Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                  TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    The local grocery recently did one major change which seems completely illogical to me -- They took down their huge soup racks that allowed them to present a dozen or more cans of soup per slot, and changed over to standard half-height boxes.
                    I'd imagine it's a tradeoff between space and time. From the picture, it looks like an employee would need to load individual cans into those racks, so it would take more labour hours to fill the soup section. With the half-height boxes, the employee handles boxes of a dozen cans each.

Not in retail, but from what I've heard supermarket chains rent out shelf space to food producers. Since the racks take more labour to deal with, the rent for a foot of rack space is probably higher than for normal shelf space, so the soup company probably found it more economical to rent a longer piece of normal shelf space.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      The local grocery recently did one major change which seems completely illogical to me -- They took down their huge soup racks that allowed them to present a dozen or more cans of soup per slot, and changed over to standard half-height boxes. Much, much less efficient, and doing so also required that they expand the soup section all the way to the front of the aisle x.x Sadly, I don't recall what got taken out (or moved elsewhere) as a result.
                      Much faster to stock. Tear off top and side of case, put on shelf vs removing cans of soup from a box one at a time and dropping them into a rack.

Also possibly less stock in the backroom or on top shelves because it's all on the shelf instead.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        Also possibly less stock in the backroom or on top shelves because it's all on the shelf instead.
                        Speed..? Sure. Makes sense. The issue is, it doesn't fit nearly as much stock in the same amount of space. Only the lower rows were stacked, higher ones were just one unit high x.x

That, and, prior to the switch, the bottom half was done as the half boxes anyway. All they really accomplished was changing the very top row and maybe one below it.

Comment

Working...
                        X