Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Cow! A "castle house" with a real tower!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cow! A "castle house" with a real tower!

This is impressive! Sometimes I like to look at house plans, and think "When I'm rich...", but this one caught my eye because it has a tower that's three stories higher than the house (five total stories for the tower).

The house itself is almost 21,000 square feet...

http://www.archivaldesigns.com/home-...ral-house-plan
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I also like looking at house plans. When you said tower I actually remembered looking at that house plan. My step-dad has a roofing company, and there was always blueprints around. One new construction house had two completely separate wings of the house, one for the husband and one for the wife. The business is in a kinda upscale area, and all the rich people get custom houses built, mostly with elevators.

I have several plans bookmarked just in case I magically get a lot of money. I have a lot of really dull but specific requirements, like all bathrooms must have windows, the living room must be away from the front door, and the kitchen has to be big. No jack and jill bathroom, has to have an attached garage. There can't be a bathroom directly off of a living area because it's creepy to hear people pee. No bigger than 1700 sq ft, because that's the biggest house I've ever lived in, and it was plenty big. (I currently live in less than 450 sq ft.) I would want the house to look plain on the outside, but the inside would be high quality. Radiant heating in the floors, not just the bathroom floors. I don't know why, but it's fun to look at house plans.

Have you ever seen the old plans, the kits you could buy from Sears?
    Last edited by notalwaysright; 01-03-2017, 09:22 PM.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      I have several plans bookmarked just in case I magically get a lot of money.
      Yeah, I do too! I have several bookmarked in FireFox at home (in their own folder, even!), and I found 20 more today...

I have a lot of really dull but specific requirements
      I'd probably need a slightly larger house for the things I'd want. I'd at least want a room for a pool table, a "media room", separate offices for me and my wife, a "recording studio" room, an exercise room, and maybe an art room.

I'd probably want a multi-car garage, if nothing else to use one of the "stalls"/areas as a workshop as well. I don't know how big a house I'd need for all that...

I've even seen websites where you can get a bowling alley installed in your house, so I'd have to consider whether or not I wanted that, too, because I'd have to modify the plans...

I don't know why, but it's fun to look at house plans.
      Indeed it is.

Have you ever seen the old plans, the kind you could buy from Sears?
      I haven't...but I might have to check them out for giggles.
      Last edited by mjr; 01-03-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Let's all pool all of our spare money together. We might even be able to afford to buy a copy of the PDF...it's only ten grand or so! O_O
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Let's all pool all of our spare money together. We might even be able to afford to buy a copy of the PDF...it's only ten grand or so! O_O
          Ha ha ha...no kidding.

I know in my area houses are roughly $100 per square foot, depending on materials and such, so figure that's around a $2 million house...at least where I live.
          Last edited by mjr; 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Easily. I was figuring 2-3 times that, even built from scratch. I guess the plans are so expensive as a way of saying "If you have to think about the price of the plans, you can't afford this house." I.e., to make sure potential buyers/builders are serious.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              I'd probably need a slightly larger house for the things I'd want. I'd at least want a room for a pool table, a "media room", separate offices for me and my wife, a "recording studio" room, an exercise room, and maybe an art room.

I'd probably want a multi-car garage, if nothing else to use one of the "stalls"/areas as a workshop as well. I don't know how big a house I'd need for all that...

I've even seen websites where you can get a bowling alley installed in your house, so I'd have to consider whether or not I wanted that, too, because I'd have to modify the plans...
              Well, it's just me, so no sharing. if I was super loaded, and was able to get a decent amount of property, I'd expand outside the main house. The main house would be three bedrooms, one for me, one as a guest room, and one as a crafts room. Outside, I would like a garden, with a greenhouse. I'd also like a shop (either attached to the garage or separate) to do glass art, and maybe expand to carpentry which I've never done before but this is an alternate reality where I have money. And in that reality I have time to learn to do this stuff. Oh, and at least a small part is surrounded by a high stone wall, since I've always loved how they look, and they give lots of privacy.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Check out the Painted Lady, under the Victorian plans.

Person could get lost on that site . . .
                Last edited by morgana; 01-04-2017, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                  Check out the Painted Lady, under the Victorian plans.

Person could get lost on that site . . .
                  I'd probably have to make the outside all brick/stone, though. And I wonder if it comes with the rooster weather vane. ;-)

Comment

Whaaaat? No weather vane? I think we might have to call the whole thing off.....Hrm...Wellll, I suppose we could still make a deal -- but I want no less than twenty percent off of the house for this OUTRAGE! No less! If you refuse, I'M NEVER BUILDING A HOUSE HERE AGAIN!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Whaaaat? No weather vane? I think we might have to call the whole thing off.....Hrm...Wellll, I suppose we could still make a deal -- but I want no less than twenty percent off of the house for this OUTRAGE! No less! If you refuse, I'M NEVER BUILDING A HOUSE HERE AGAIN!
                      LMAO!!!!

But it has to specifically be the rooster weather vane!

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        ...But it has to specifically be the rooster weather vane!
                        Don't let them cock it up.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Well, now I know what house I'm building if I ever win the lottery...
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Better yet -- If a bunch of us win lotteries. Make a cluster of these types of places on a huge bit of land and make CS-topia, where we can all retire and live in peace!

Yes, ladies and gents, CS-topia, where the customer is never right, the high-speed wi-fi flows like wine, and the staff who work there get paid really well (and are treated like actual human beings)! Come for the chat, stay for the weekly effigy burnings! This week, we're torching an effigy of the CEO of the Mart of Wal!

Comment

I call President/Mayor!

Comment

Working...
                              X