This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Seasons

So, another fall and winter are upon us, and I wanted to know how unusual my love for the seasons are.

As someone who was born and raised in New England, I have a great appreciation for the distinct four seasons we have. Yes, I sometimes can't stand the heatwaves, and I hate driving through blizzards, but overall I enjoy the fact that every few months there's a change in the weather, and always something to look forward to during that time.

Summer, of course, has the warm weather, although I hate excessively hot and humid days. You smell the sunscreen and chlorine from pools or salt water from the beach.

Fall has sometimes perfect temperatures and crunchy leaves. You smell the earthy scent of fallen leaves.

Winter is peaceful; no birds or crickets chirping, a distinct silence that you don't always notice but is there, it's sometimes too cold, but you can feel cozy inside with the heat turned up and hot chocolate. You smell the smoke from surrounding fireplaces.

Spring once again has perfect temperatures, although quite often it's the rainiest around here so I don't enjoy it as much as you'd think. I spend this time looking forward to summer. But you do smell the new life coming out of the ground.

I don't think I could stand living in an climate where there aren't as many distinct changes.

What do you guys think? Four seasons or consistent weather?
    I love it! It's nice to have a change throughout the year.
    57.14%
    How can people enjoy shoveling snow when they could be relaxing in a hammock year round?
    35.71%
    Meh, I really don't care.
    7.14%
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Four different seasons, four different styles of clothing for each. It's not just a change in the season, but a chance to have a minor change of myself.

(I'm also a New Englander, so my blood is used to both the heat and the cold for the most part. )
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I'm totally against snow except for something to visit and then leave behind.

I'm going to stick with my coastal desert with mostly warm with a bit of wet, thanks.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Seasonal Affective Disorder and overheating issues.

Comment

I like Fall and Spring best; summer's ok when it's not too hot, I can't deal with high humidity (gives me migraines). I like winter when I can cozy up in the house with a book and a cup of cocoa.

I could have done without the November 7th blizzard we had yesterday, though. Not ready for winter.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm much more of a fan of fall than I used to be since fall no longer=back to school, but I can do without the allergies.

My sinuses are like Niagara Falls.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Can I just have Spring and Fall? kthxbai

>.<

No, seriously, I don't like the extreme months of summer and winter.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I love spring, summer and fall. Winter I can do without. Especially driving in the snow and the -40 degree plus windchill temperatures.

Comment

We have distinct seasons here too, which I love. Where I live gets very cold in winter (although it doesn't snow very much) and the summers are quite mild. Spring and autumn are the best.. the light down here in autumn is just perfect - quiet and still and glowing.

It's spring here now but it's freezing, wet, hailing, and we had tornadoes here today. WTF?

Comment

I love the concepts of the seasons, the classical and stereotypical ones (i.e. Not the drowned summer we had this year >.<). One of my GCSE Art pieces was a (poorly done) watercolour of the same scene in the different seasons; I love taking photos to make a photographical of similar. Oh and Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons FTW ^^
                    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I like the idea of seasons just fine.

I just have no interest in actually experiencing a wide range of them.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm in the UK.

Spring = rain.
                        Summer = more rain (and we had a 'drought' this year - hah!)
                        Autumn = rain with possibly a few dry days that make everyone remember what clear skies are like...until the rain returns
                        Winter = rain with an extra dose of cold, and possibly a thin layer of snow that will bring the entire country to a halt.

Can we have some US weather please? I'd love four distinct seasons - it would be lovely to be able to dress in something other than raincoats, and fall looks beautiful. But hold the hurricanes, they aren't great for a small island.

(I am exaggerating about the rain. But not by much.)
                        I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

I grew up in Michigan but I've lived in Georgia, Alaska (what I now consider home) and now Nevada. The first "winter" in Georgia threw me off with no snow and warm temps, same here in the desert. I don't mind snow (and I worked for years outside at the airport in Alaska), it's the ice storms I hate. I've seen it all for weather/seasons and I much prefer cold temps. My allergies are also less in the north.

Comment

I am pretty sure most of y'all know where I stand on this issue. To wit, snow belongs on a cone, and ice belongs in my margarita. Period.

But many people are under the erroneous impression that down here in Paradise we don't have a change of seasons. Au contraire, mon frer. We have seasons all right!

Tourist season.
                            Snowbird season.
                            Off season.
                            Season.
                            Hurricane season.
                            Lobster Season.
                            Stone Crab Season.
                            Amateur Season (aka Spring Break).
                            Insanity Season (aka Fantasy Fest).
                            Cheap Tipper Season (aka Parrothead Week; alternatively, any time a lot of Miamians have some time off).
                            Deafening Season (aka Bike Week).
                            Old Guys With Beards Season (aka Hemingway Week).
                            Drinking Season....oh, wait, that's full-time down here.
                            And of course, one of my favorites, Bikini Season, which only lasts about 11 months of the year down here. In my opinion, far too short.

Seasons? We got seasons!

As for the people who want to "see the changing of the leaves"?

Send me a picture.

Because right now it is Adrenaline Season--it's Powerboat Race Week!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

I don't like winter. Spring is great, summer's awesome as long as no-one turns up the heat too far, autumn's okay. Winter however...

It's not the cold that gets me, though. What I hate is the dark. 6 hours between sunrise and sunset do not constitute a day.
                              The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Working...
                              X