X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anoyone know

What work exchange means???
    I've seen some job ads for it. Does it mean working there in return for learning the trade? Like an internship?
    I've googled it and no definite answers google has let me down!
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

From what I understand it's work in exchange for things like lodging, food, and transportation. You generally don't get paid wages for it though, if you do it's a very small amount of money. Some similar programs expect you to pay for the opportunity to take part in the work exchange. I suppose some of them do work like an unpaid apprenticeship if you don't already have the skills for the job, or you could simply be doing the gruntwork for them.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
      From what I understand it's work in exchange for things like lodging, food, and transportation. You generally don't get paid wages for it though, if you do it's a very small amount of money. Some similar programs expect you to pay for the opportunity to take part in the work exchange. I suppose some of them do work like an unpaid apprenticeship if you don't already have the skills for the job, or you could simply be doing the gruntwork for them.
      I inquired about it to the ad placer. She said that I would work for them cleaning and instead of a wage, I'd be able to use their services (they were a fitness studio). :\ Huh. The way I see it is a plus for the employer than the employee. Oh well, she didn't seem very interested. Oh well. I've worked at others where they actually paid me a wage and let me use their facilities, so pooh on her. =P
      Can't reason with the unreasonable.
      The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

This sounds to me like they're asking for slave labor. Unless it's a REALLY nice gym and you get the same access as a top-tier member (including a personal trainer), you'd be getting screwed. Even then, not getting paid at all sounds shady to me.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That all depends.

Cost of membership ÷ hours worked = wage

If it is only a couple hours, one day a week, it might be worth it to someone who wants the membership. Much more than that and you are working below minimum wage.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

In NY state it is illegal to have someone work and not pay them. Now, there may be a number of hours you have to hit; not sure. And I could see a fitness place maybe giving someone a break on the membership fee in exchange for a certain amount of cleaning; but other than that? Slippery slope.

Don't know what the law says in other states.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X