This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layoffs still being done at my last employer

My husband found out from a co-worker of his who still works at the area of parking garages where he used to work at that the property management company that owns the garages as well as the buildings located near the garages laid off more employees.

These employees were the porters who worked the overnight shift.

What he heard was that the property management company intends to raise the monthly rent rate for the office suites, and because of this, many tenants are moving out.

Half of the overnight porter shift was laid off because of this. So the overnight porter shift supervisor has less people to clean 8 parking garages as well as 2 parking lots. And the property management company expects every garage as well as the 2 parking lots to be spotless.

The property management company still wants my former employer to provide event staff for special events. The problem is that there is not enough event staff to do this.

Turns out that my husband's co-worker had to work on July 4th from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. but no-one got a break because it was too busy plus there was not enough event staff to provide breaks.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-16-2016, 11:30 PM.

The whole situation stank before, and it stinks even worse now. With so few people things WON'T get done, and guess who gets the blame for that?

Raising the rents when there's a glut of office space around is NOT a wise business decision...

Comment

Well, if your plan is to lose money... Or to shut down a facility or three...
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Another update

My husband found out today that the remaining overnight shift porter staff hours were reduced from 40 hours a week to 30 hours a week. Since his employer only offers medical benefits to employees who work 40 hours a week, those employees lost their medical benefits.

He does not know anything about the morning porter shift.

There was a crew of 7 painters at that location, but 5 of them were laid off as well.

The overnight porter shift supervisor, who was my last supervisor when I worked there, is currently looking for a full-time job.

This is a complete mess.

Comment

How much longer before the place implodes completely?

Comment

This is a symptom of what's coming. I hope your hubby is also looking and will find other work soon. The downsizing won't stop yet.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              This is a symptom of what's coming. I hope your hubby is also looking and will find other work soon. The downsizing won't stop yet.
              My hubby was transferred to another location before these layoffs happened.

Comment

Working...
              X