This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grape Advocacy

In the grocery store last week with the youngest member of the Shirts family (almost four years old). Watched a guy standing by the grapes in the produce section, apparently trying to decide which bag to put in his cart.

Nope. He's picking grapes. When he had a handful, he walked off with them. I scowled, but he was too far away for me to do or say anything about it.

Then Fate seemed to intervene. Little Miss Shirts asked for bananas. I selected some and put them in the cart. She asked if she could have a banana right now. Grape Thief rounds the corner and is now across the aisle from me. So I loudly had the following conversation with my daughter.

Me: You want a banana to eat right now?
    Her: Yeah!
    Me: Sorry, you'll have to wait.
    Her: Why?
    Me: Because we haven't paid for it yet.
    Her: Oh.
    Me: And eating something without paying for it is stealing. I don't think it's good to steal from the store.
    Her: No.

I glared at the grape thief. He had the nerve to glare back. I gave him the kind of look my dad used to give me before asking me if I was really sure I wanted to disobey him. Grape Thief looked at the floor and hurried away.

Score one for me!
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Huzzah! The best form of passive-aggression, a successful deployment! And good on Lil' Shirts too.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Not entirely relevant, maybe, but one of the grocery stores here has a little stand with small apples, tangerines and bananas that's specifically intended for kids to be able to have a snack while the parents shop. I confess I have also snagged a piece of fruit from it a time or two as well when shopping, but I would never eat something sold by weight before paying for it.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
      X