Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glad you've quit. And please stay out of retail.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad you've quit. And please stay out of retail.

This would go under "Readings" if we had such a thread ... I belong to a FB retail group and somebody posted that she just quit her job because a customer had accused her of putting sugar into their coffee instead of Splenda and her manager gave her hell for it (there were, according to her, other problems with her manager). However, she also included this line:

"I know that I mentioned before that I give some asshole customers decaf if they ask for regular ..."

Seriously?

So I wrote back that I doubted she'd be missed, and that yes, there certainly are asshole customers out there but that doesn't give her carte blanche to deliberately screw up their orders.

Sometimes the entitlement isn't on the part of the customer.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

It is people like her that get posted about in notalwaysworking.com.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      It is people like her that get posted about in notalwaysworking.com.
      They're also the ones who ruin everything for the rest of us.
      Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

Quoth apocolypse101 View Post
        Yep ... those who actually try to DO their job and do it right and stay professional ... despite major provocations by customers.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

yeah. no. I will admit, when I worked in retail, if someone came in, giving me attitude, and generally being an entitled PITA, I would ONLY do what was required of me. with a smile, and politely. But no more.

Now, if they were nice, and treated ME nicely, I might go a little beyond what the norm was. For example, we weren't supposed to honor coupons that came out after a purchase had been made, as most stores don't.

BUT, most stores would allow customers to return and repurchase the item, using the coupon, and getting a lower price. But you come in demanding I do this, and how stupid it is, blah blah blah, nope. I'm following policy to the letter.

you come in and ask me nicely, esp. if you are a regular who always is nice to me, absolutely, i will be happy to take care of that for you.
          Last edited by MadMike; 09-11-2017, 11:31 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

Quoth apocolypse101 View Post
            In the past, we've had a few rare occasions where someone signed up here but didn't really get what we were all about. They'd brag about messing with people's food or just generally being rude to customers for no reason. They didn't seem to like us trying to set them straight.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              In the past, we've had a few rare occasions where someone signed up here but didn't really get what we were all about. They'd brag about messing with people's food or just generally being rude to customers for no reason. They didn't seem to like us trying to set them straight.
              True that.

And how many of them have stayed any length of time even after we would try to get them on the right path?
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                Now, if they were nice, and treated ME nicely, I might go a little beyond what the norm was.
                Yep. I learned very early on (about two weeks into my first job, in fact) that doing something extra for the nice customers was far more satisfying than trying to take revenge on the mean customers.
                I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                - IPF

Comment

The best way to annoy SCs is to smile and be nice to them... they hate that!
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                    Yep. I learned very early on (about two weeks into my first job, in fact) that doing something extra for the nice customers was far more satisfying than trying to take revenge on the mean customers.
                    Oh definitely. and as i worked in a higher end women's store, trust me, th customers wouldn't stand for any "revenge" of any sort. They'd complain in a heartbeat! But i COULD stick to my guns and policy, and not bend it, as we were able to do.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      Yep ... those who actually try to DO their job and do it right and stay professional ... despite major provocations by customers.
                      ...and those are the people that I tend to take care of. Even if someone accidentally screws up my order (hey, shit happens), I try to stay cool about it. 99.9% of the time, the employee is like "oh crap, my mistake. Let me fix that, sir..." and takes care of it. The .1% is when I have to talk to the manager. I really don't like to do that, folks. But, if they screw up and take care of it, I try to go out of my way to take care of them. You know, leave a tip, be polite, etc. Mostly because I tend to frequent the same establishments (hell, I'm on a first-name basis with the bartenders and wait staff at a certain neighborhood place. I usually sit at the bar, and there's a glass of wine in front of me, and I'm not even seated yet ), and don't want to be known as "that guy." You know the guy I mean.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                      X