Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a cluster...a story and a request for advice.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a cluster...a story and a request for advice.

Ok so today I was scheduled by myself for 118 arrivals (work at a hotel). We started the day with hundred dollar bills and quarters in our drawers, nothing else, and guests squaking for change since check in is also apparently a bank. So since there was nobody from accounting around on the weekend, I asked someone on breakfast to get us change.

When I counted later I was short. So I pulled $20 out of my own wallet to cover it. I got so frustrated by this that I ranted sup about it, normally wouldn't have, just count and let me leave already my shift was over an hour ago.

She found the other 20 under (not in) the drawer.

So then I got to send an email to my boss explaining what I did, volunteering to make sure change is given properly from accounting on Friday.

Then since saying "I really don't feel low level staff should have to get our own change on the weekend when accounting isn't around" was apparently "too harsh" I got to send another email to the bossman telling him I didn't intend to be disrespectful, that I used my own money to coverage a perceived shortage because that was the rule I was used to at other hotels (true btw, and I'm relatively new at this place) and I just care about proper accounting.

Anybody know a diplomatic way of telling them "you need to make everyone pull their weight and give a shit about the upcoming shift, and stop giving everyone access to the same set of keys that open all the drawers it's idiotic."

Now I'm convinced I'm going to be shit-canned though that probably isn't really likely. If it had been a short drawer the cameras would prove Breakfast Lady did it.

TL;DR my employer doesn't use proper accounting procedures, I have to fix their screw up, think I short my drawer in the process, cover it myself, then have to explain this whole mess to my boss. My paranoid brain is convinced they'll fire me.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 10-29-2017, 12:01 AM. Reason: Left something out.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I don't think you'll be fired for it. The message I hear from your boss is a standard one: don't have any independent thoughts. It is idiotic to have anyone be able to access the money at any time. But you are not supposed to have to replace drawer shortages. I'm not even sure if it's legal to make you do that. As far as no change, I vote being "honest" with the customers. "I'm sorry, sir, but I have no change available. When I got here the drawer had none and I am not able to get refills on the weekend." Add (fake) profuse apologies and let the customers make waves. Try not to let the whole thing upset you too badly.

Comment

Personally, I would take a moment to explain what happened Friday in a very calm manner, explain why it made doing your job difficult.

Aside from that, if I was not the person with sole access to the cash drawer, other than the owner/manager, I would refuse to cover any shortages.

Comment

Welp I still have a job. Thanks for the support everyone.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Good to hear you still have a job

Comment

I'm glad you have your job. Don't be too hard on yourself. No one has to be perfect.

Comment

OP: In your place, I think I'd start off with your original attitude, but after the boss cuts you cold like that? Yeah, go ahead and tell the customers you don't have any change this weekend.

Comment

Nah was ok. He apparently talked to accounting who made sure we got change on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                X