This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that made my day

Don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I have a very short contract position at a local law firm (scheduled for a whole two months ...)

So far I've worked only for one lawyer, let's call him Honest Abe.

Today the assistant to Honest Abe's Relative (they share the same surname; don't know if it's Honest Abe's father or uncle or what) came in with some papers. I get the distinct impression that Honest Abe's Relative is the one with the real clout.

"I asked [HAR] if I could give you some work," she said. It's basically the same type of thing I've been doing for Honest Abe so it's not going to be difficult. I said of course.

Then she leaned over the desk slightly and said very quietly, "I'm trying to convince him to keep you on after Christmas. Maybe not full-time right away, just part-time to start with, but ...."

Needless to say, I thanked her quietly but enthusiastically, adding, "I've love to stay here!" (True, by the way; it's a great place to work, even if I do have to listen to lawyers shouting at each other in the hallway ... about the Habsburg dynasty. I have NO idea what THAT was about.)

So it sounds as if I'm getting the support staff on my side. I'm pretty sure Honest Abe's assistant would love for me to stay, as I cleaned up a mess of filing when I first started ... and it's all piled up again. And this time Honest Abe is saying she can start on it ... like she's not up to her eyeballs already with other stuff.

And the other assistant in that same area would certainly like some help with her overload ...

So please cross your fingers for me.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I hope it works out for you!

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      <snip>
      (True, by the way; it's a great place to work, even if I do have to listen to lawyers shouting at each other in the hallway ... about the Hapsburg dynasty. I have NO idea what THAT was about.)
      It sounds like you have fallen among nerds. This is a good thing. ;-) Best of luck!

Comment

I just had to Google the Habsburg Dynasty out of curiosity...quite a bit over my head--I'm not a history nerd--but seems like some fascinating stuff.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I have a vague knowledge of the Habsburg dynasty (translation: I recognized the name) but that's about it.

There's a couple of real shouters in that office, but it's just something where you roll your eyes and grin and get on with whatever you were doing. They're not being aggressive or hostile ... they just operate at top volume.

I did get one thing confused: the new work is not from Honest Abe's relative. The assistant works for yet another lawyer, but she had to get HAR's permission to pass the work onto me. It will be a bit of a challenge, as (unlike with Honest Abe) I do not have access to Other Lawyer's online files, so can't check the client's communication file, for example.

Thanks for the good wishes. What a great start to 2018 THAT would be!
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Huh, my history teachers always called them the Hapsburgs o_O
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's probably correct. I was spelling it based on how I heard it pronounced ... and TBH, I was too lazy to look up the correct spelling.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                I just had to Google the Habsburg Dynasty out of curiosity...quite a bit over my head--I'm not a history nerd--but seems like some fascinating stuff.
                About all I really know about them, not being a history buff, is their penchant for inbreeding and the resulting horror that was Charles II of Spain.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Pix -- I honestly don't know. When I googled them (with a P), the results all came back for Habsburg with a B o_O
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

It is spelled Habsburg but generally pronounced Hapsburg. I took a History class at uni that covered a fair bit of their dynasty. They had their fingers in all the royal families of Europe at one point, and it was really difficult to keep track of who was related to who and to what degree. Saying that inbreeding was rampant might be an understatement!

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                      ... They had their fingers ...
                      The "fingers" weren't the problem...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Their main thing were the Austrian-Hungarian and Spanish dynasties. At one time, the Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus said about them: Bella gerant alii, tu felix Austria, nube! – "Let others wage war. You, happy Austria, marry!"

Comment

KK - Thanks! My teachers ALL spelled it with a P

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            KK - Thanks! My teachers ALL spelled it with a P
                            Ditto. And AFAIK everyone involved was using the same native alphabet.

Comment

Working...
                            X