Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tow Files: The Grinch who Towed Christmas.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
    With the above thought in mind, I wonder how the new fad of self driving cars will fare when it comes to illegal parking? Will their computers be able to read the various signs they are violating? Will they be equipped with some sort of ATM device to pay their own drop or impound fees? Inquiring minds want to know.

You know it's bound to happen.
    Easy enough to add an RFID chip to permit or pay only lots, similar to the EZPass toll tags that vehicles can get for most areas that have toll roads. Just stick it to the sign at the lot entrance. Telling the car it has a permit for a certain lot might get a bit trickier, as incorporating even a very short range RFID chip into a hang tag might get costly. For pay lots or meters, the car can pay electronically (provided the car owner has enough funds in the associated account).
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Telling the car it has permission for a lot would be as simple as entering the password into the onboard computer. It'll probably also already have bluetooth installed, so could use that to communicate to any site-based computer, which could also use ANPR to automatically call in violators.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

"Sorry, Sir, your car ratted you out"

In fact, skip the towing, if it detects it's been illegally parked, it should just drive itself to the impound and honk so we can let it in.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Arga, your threads always make my day/week

That would be AWESOME. Then how many dumbasses would go on rants involving "You hacked into my car and made it do this!!111"?
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

That story about Toboggan was pretty epic.

Also the bit with the Lawyer and that "Cha Ching!" deal sounds like something out of an SNL skit.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              Also the bit with the Lawyer and that "Cha Ching!" deal sounds like something out of an SNL skit.
              "Do you take...cash?"

Comment

Words cannot express how disappointed I was when Bong Guy's pants didn't go up in flames ...
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I wanna know if Arga or any of his co-workers have ever gotten the "That sign wasn't there when I parked here!" line.

And the post about the cars recognizing that they're illegally parked and driving themselves to the impound lot made me laugh.

Just make sure that one day you don't accidentally impound this car:

it might just get itself out of impound.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    we don't have a max tow limit in our programming you can hit and cause us to bluescreen on.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ODKPrOrTI KILL SCREEN

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                      ...but the owners will still show up at the tow yards demanding their cars back. Cars that were not even towed....
                      At which point you'll need to remind them about the "Where's My Car?" app that came with their subscription. And when they say "what, I never heard of any such thing", you'll need to show them the app on their phone. Or alternatively hear them explain how they deleted the app because "I always know where my car is!". Or discover that the car that dropped them off was actually their girlfriend's, and has now headed back to wait at her office... in another state. Or something even weirder, born from the new technology.
                      Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 12-13-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                        That story about Toboggan was pretty epic.

I remember that one. I think it was about Tiger Woods.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I suspect that once we have self driving cars, we'll fairly swiftly move to a model where you don't actually own a car - one just turns up when you need it, the size you want or larger.
                          I have an estate car, as I carry a load of crap around from time to time. But most of the time it's just me or me and the sprog. And I as I work either abroad or from home, sometimes I don't need a car for days or weeks.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                            Words cannot express how disappointed I was when Bong Guy's pants didn't go up in flames ...
                            Ditto

Of course, I'm now trying to wipe off Canadian Mist off my laptop screen!

And add one more vote for more Tobaggan stories . . . he sounds like a hoot.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                              "Sorry, Sir, your car ratted you out"

In fact, skip the towing, if it detects it's been illegally parked, it should just drive itself to the impound and honk so we can let it in.
                              OK, I made it through the original post without laughing out loud because I was prepared.

But this, sir, was a diabolical sneak attack. You should be ashamed.
                              Last edited by wordgirl; 12-19-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

'You want to park here,even though you do not have a valid permit issued for this lot.'
                                'I'm sorry Dave,I'm afraid I can't do that...'

(in the voice of the Hal-gabarga)
                                Last edited by Kit-Ginevra; 12-20-2017, 12:22 AM.
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X