Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You want how much, no how much, are you sure?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want how much, no how much, are you sure?

That about sums up the call today to LaDee Dodge.

Caller want a rad hose for 17 year old car, yes 2001 was in fact that long ago.
    No dealerships do not support every car they ever made so no I don't have it in stock.
    Even if I was open in 2001 we would of gotten rid of it somehow
    yes surprising I can get it
    $115 next day
    yes 115
    no it's really 115
    yes 115
    I know it's not that big
    sure is $115
    I know it's a lot
    That's why we are called stealerships.

Yes call around, (call A-Z autoparts like you should have in the first place).
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 12-11-2017, 10:43 PM.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Why would you call a dealership for a car part for a car that old?

When I saw the years, my first thought was 'holy shit, my car is 27 years old.' It's a 1991 Toyota Corolla. No way would I be asking a dealership for car parts. I'd be ringing a car parts store. Actually, my dad or my mechanic would be because I would have no clue what to ask for.

I think the last time something needed to be fixed, we went to a couple of wreckers. I didn't want to pay $500 for new windscreen wiper arms and the bits that make it all work. $20 later and I have working windscreen wipers again.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Interestingly, Mercedes-Benz has a stated policy that they will always be able to get parts for any Mercedes-Benz. They have been known to have parts made specifically for older cars.

Of course, this is Mercedes-Benz. And you don't really want to ask what those parts for your old Benz cost. (Because, hey, Mercedes!) And that is the exception, not the rule.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Junk yards, wrecker yards car recyclers salvage yards are MY BEST FRIENDS especially since I tend to get older popular cars. Things like hoses and stuff I can get at a chain autoparts store.

Other stuff like window motors, back tail lights, mirrors, front head light assembly, door lock mechs, etc. JUNK YARDS even if it is pick yourself. practice for actual repair.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
          LaDee Dodge.
          This should be the name of a real car dealership...
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            This should be the name of a real car dealership...
            My home town had a car dealership named Alford Chevrolet.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Only $115

I was surprised it was so cheap.

As a computer tech I know many of the larger computer manufacture keep parts from their oldest machine (Not make them anymore, just stored in a big warehouse) and as people use up their old stock the remaining stock get more and more expensive.

I remember on person wanted the original IBM Motherboard, that is a 8 bit computer running at 4.77 MHz and if I remember right the price was over $9,000 for it.

I personally repaired to Vic-20s for a couple of hundred dollars each as to replace them with proper greenhouse controllers would cost over a thousand dollars each.

PS. For those who are thinking EBay, my repairs worked, most of the machines on EBay do not tell you the quality of the hardware you will be buying.

Comment

NASA uses quite a lot of outdated computer hardware. (VERY outdated!) Certain parts of it have been known to buy old computers off evil-bay to raid for spare parts. Or at least that's the rumor I heard when I worked there...

Heck, when I started the Pioneer guys were doing data reduction on one of our mainframes, because it was actually from the early 60s when Pioneer was designed!!
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I used to work with 8080 chips in the Navy. My test bench had a state of art 386 computer in it.
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

There is a company still making 5" floppy disks for the US Government.
                    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Shit, I had to get and still have my external 3 1/2 A drive so I could do Evals on my laptop and home computer. DOD hates the thumbs.
                      AkaiKitsune

Comment

I wish 8080's were my hardware.

My navy work was on the ccs mk 1. The uss olympia still had the system when I felt in 2008. This is a system made of components that cost half a million for a board. if we bent a pin on the backplane. Well, you were screwed unless they had one from another sub that was upgraded.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                          Of course, this is Mercedes-Benz. And you don't really want to ask what those parts for your old Benz cost. (Because, hey, Mercedes!) And that is the exception, not the rule.
                          Toyota had a similar plan. I don't know if they still do it, but you could still get many parts for the older ones at dealers. Not cheap, but at least they were available. Just the thing if the seat cover on your 1980s Starlet ripped

As to my other car, there's no way I could go to a dealer--US-based MG/Rover dealers closed in the 1980s. Almost everything (from the smallest fastener to entire body shells) is available on the aftermarket, usually with 2-day shipping. "Almost" because there are still some things I have to get from scrapyards or Evilbay. For example, I needed to replace the square bezel for the oil pressure gauge. None of the parts houses had them, so my only option was to buy a scrap gauge on Ebay and take it apart.

Back on topic, there's no way in hell I'd go to a dealer for a service item. Why would you spend roughly 3X over what NAPA or Pep Boys would ask? There's no difference between a $25 cabin air filter and a $75 one...other than one comes in a generic white box, and the other has a Toyota logo on it.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                            Toyota had a similar plan. I don't know if they still do it, but you could still get many parts for the older ones at dealers. Not cheap, but at least they were available. Just the thing if the seat cover on your 1980s Starlet ripped
                            One of the reasons I go to Amazon is that there's a bunch of Toyota dealers that offer factory parts for cheap; it's great that I can find new parts that aren't in parts stores available for my 11 year old Scion.

Comment

Quoth Mamochan View Post
                              My navy work was on the ccs mk 1. if we bent a pin on the backplane.
                              "Backplane" I only hear the Navy use that term for an motherboard.
                              My systems were ALQ-126B,ALR67,ALQ-167 and USM-458C, USM-641 and a bunch of other secret squirrel stuff.

Quoth RichS View Post
                              One of the reasons I go to Amazon is that there's a bunch of Toyota dealers that offer factory parts for cheap; it's great that I can find new parts that aren't in parts stores available for my 11 year old Scion.
                              Oh hell yea, Anything from Dorman I don't need that secound I get the # for a part and hit Amazon up. I pay 10% over cost and it's still cheaper.
                              Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 12-20-2017, 07:13 PM.
                              AkaiKitsune

Comment

Working...
                              X