Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, I am a recorded message trying to sell you something...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I am a recorded message trying to sell you something...

It's bad enough getting spambots calling on my mobile, but we keep on getting them ringing our work phone. The moment I hear a recorded voice, I put the phone down, but there's no way to stop them due to our prehistoric phone. It's annoying, cuz we have to answer the phone in case it's an important issue, a customer or tech calling us up.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
    It's bad enough getting spambots calling on my mobile, but we keep on getting them ringing our work phone. The moment I hear a recorded voice, I put the phone down, but there's no way to stop them due to our prehistoric phone. It's annoying, cuz we have to answer the phone in case it's an important issue, a customer or tech calling us up.
    Does England have an equivalent to the US's Do Not Call list?
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      Does England have an equivalent to the US's Do Not Call list?
      Unfortunately, this only applies to personal numbers, not businesses. My parent's companies got SO MANY calls. "Would you like your business to be number one on Google??!"
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The no-call list is a joke. I don't even register for it any more. Being on the list didn't stop me from getting robo-calls that either couldn't be traced to anybody or were coming from outside the United States.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          Unfortunately, this only applies to personal numbers, not businesses. My parent's companies got SO MANY calls. "Would you like your business to be number one on Google??!"
          The ones we get the most are the PPI calls. Grr.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            The no-call list is a joke. I don't even register for it any more. Being on the list didn't stop me from getting robo-calls that either couldn't be traced to anybody or were coming from outside the United States.
            Where's the like button???

So much this. The DNC list is a complete, utter joke. It's only good for those who follow the law or are domestic.

Quoth notalwaysright
            "Would you like your business to be number one on Google??!"
            Well, whoever it is that is trying to scam your parents out of money doesn't realize that they can't guarantee that their company will be #1 on Google...

That's just the first thing wrong with that.

Of course, you and your parents know that already...
            Last edited by mjr; 07-01-2016, 12:45 PM.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

Yep I have signed up on the Do not Call list... I get called min once a week by robo. I also get one collections call for someone names Leroy Jenkins. I have had my number for over 8 years. This started 2 years ago... They wont listen they never learn.

Comment

Just be glad it's not Leroy Brown they want
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

DNC -- Actually, it works great -- But only for legitimate callers. Real businesses WANT to know which numbers will never, ever buy anything from them, so they can be avoided. Note that collection agencies (ProTip: Tell them you want to change to snail mail contact ONLY, and do NOT admit to owing them any money!!), political campaigns, private citizens, charities, and companies you have done business with in the past are exempt. Also, if your number is listed as a business contact number, DNC does NOT apply, for some inexplicable reason.

As for collectors trying to reach someone who doesn't live at your address -- They may be breaking the law; look it up. More than a few (but not all) agents ignore little things like the law, especially if they are dealing with people who are either young/inexperienced or elderly and easily confused.

On the one hand, it means that any solicitation calls you get (once past the 30 days' grace period) are illegal, along with ANY robocalls that don't give you a way to get through to a human in one button press (possibly all robocalls; unsure). On the other hand, that means you should feel free to get really, really creative with your invective. The FCC can't exactly do anything about overseas calls, anyway.

I look at it this way: Being on DNC reduced my incoming unsolicited call volume by 90%. Well worth the five minutes it took to set it up.

PS There's a related program to stop "pre-approved" credit card solicitations via snailmail, as well.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Crai View Post
                    I also get one collections call for someone names Leroy Jenkins. I have had my number for over 8 years. This started 2 years ago... They wont listen they never learn.
                    Of course there's no way to know for sure, but it sounds like someone may have signed up for something with a fake name and a random phone number that happened to be yours. Le(e)roy Jenkins is a fairly famous World of Warcraft meme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyOj_QD4a4

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Sometimes it does work for businesses, though - when I was the church secretary, I put the office number on the DNC list, and it cut back on the number of "junk" calls we received.

Comment

KH -- Good to know. Don't worry; I won't tell them
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                          Just be glad it's not Leroy Brown they want
                          If those collectors had been going after Leroy Brown, they'd wind up looking like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces gone.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            If those collectors had been going after Leroy Brown, they'd wind up looking like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces gone.
                            Or end up talking to a kid who solves mysteries for the local neighborhood kids.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              Or end up talking to a kid who solves mysteries for the local neighborhood kids.
                              Encyclopedia Brown??????
                              Last edited by Racket_Man; 07-04-2016, 08:04 AM.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X