This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Change Artist Got How Much? O.o

Yesterday, one of the tellers at the main branch emailed everyone to help her discover a shortage on her drawer. She asked everyone to look at savings books and such as customers came in to the branches, since she was short $1,650. I imagine she thought she'd given a customer cash and forgotten to write up the withdrawal slip.

Today, a manager emailed everyone a crime alert for a pair of quick change artists that have been hitting area businesses. Our branch manager explained that the teller's short drawer was because of the woman of the pair.

This confuses me so much. I could see losing up to $100 from a quick change artist if you didn't re-count the money they wanted to exchange, but $1,650?
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

How exactly do they think this happened?

Comment

Sounds more like someone found about the quick change artist and decided it'd make a good excuse...

Comment

My thoughts exactly.

My mother spent a short time as a bank teller, and any shortage -- ANY SHORTAGE FOR ANY REASON -- was taken out of her paycheck. For that matter, I suppose she would have been penalized (somehow) for an overage as well.

In my teens, mom owned a small store. At least once that I know of, we were hit by a quick change artist. That sucked, but the drawer was only down something like $20.
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

When Jiffy Lube goes bad.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I didn't get all the details, but I might hear more Tuesday. The crime alert had pictures attached, so I assume the teller recognized the woman.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              My mother spent a short time as a bank teller, and any shortage -- ANY SHORTAGE FOR ANY REASON -- was taken out of her paycheck.
              I personally would've told them to come back with a court order or they could go fuck themselves.

Comment

Well, on the one hand, it was in the late 60's.

On the other hand, it's a bank. I'm kind of on their side about this. (Although I rather doubt they would have made her pay back a robbery, pretty much any other reason would likely have boiled down to "it's the teller's fault" in one way or another.) You're a bank teller, your job is to make sure exact amounts go from point A to point B.

I know sometimes the cash drawer doesn't balance out at the end of the night -- mine was off by $18 at the C-store once, because I derp'ed a transaction and the customer didn't bother correcting me. I volunteered to fix it out of my pay, but my manager told me not to worry about it... but also not to do it again.

For that matter, when I go in to the yard to get paid, I make sure the amount they tell me is within $1 of what I'm expecting. If it's not, the cashiers know we're going to be playing "find Deserted's money" for a while -- especially if they're overpaying me, because I want to know where that extra came from, so I don't have to pay back something given to me in error. (I do my logging in Excel. My spreadsheets tell me exactly how much I should be getting from the cash office.)
                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

That quick change artist is really good at her scam.

I don't think shortages should ever come out of your paycheck. If you screwed up, you can be disciplined or fired but you need to be paid for your hours. If you stole it, they can bring charges. And small shortages of course can happen so everyone should move on.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                    I could see losing up to $100 from a quick change artist if you didn't re-count the money they wanted to exchange, but $1,650?
                    Apparently, there's a video that shows a quick-change artist completely emptying a cash register that way. If they keep going back and forth, the effect is like a ratchet wrench.

Comment

I got more of the story this morning. It seems the woman came in with a stack of $50s and asked to exchange them for different bills. The teller took the cash to the counting machine, and it was the correct amount. The teller went back to the woman and the woman said she wanted Canadian bills. But we don't carry Canadian money. After that, the teller's not sure what happened, other than the woman changed her mind several times about what sort of bills she wanted.

The woman must have been really good at her scam.
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

My one and only experience with a quick change artist happened when I was new at Ye Olde Grocery Shoppe - 18 years old, first job not working for the family.

Dude must have run through 20 or so iterations of what he wanted back, with me stopping every time to tell him I couldn't give that back because it didn't match up. Eventually, he took exact change and moved on.

The CSM pulled and counted my drawer, after explaining the scam to me - I didn't even know it existed back then, I thought the guy just sucked at math. My drawer was perfect to the penny.

Apparently, there was a group going around locally hitting the newest cashiers on the assumption that the newbies would just fold. Sadly, he picked me - the guy that used to do calculus and theoretical physics problems in my head while ringing out people's groceries. Sucker!

Comment

I got a quick-change scam pulled on me when I was a newbie...buddy starting asking to change bills after I had counted his change out from a transaction. I got wise to the game almost instantly but Shithead instructed me to do it (he had no idea what was really going on). I was my usual methodical self. People could see the scammer was getting impatient, but he couldn't complain about my being slow without giving away what he was actually doing.

After the quick-change artist had left the building, the CDH counted my drawer (which I knew was going to happen)...I was over by a good bit. I think the scammer lost track of what they gave me. For awhile I was a bit famous as the cashier who managed to scam a scammer
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

This really stinks, hope you can catch this vermin...

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                              Yesterday, one of the tellers at the main branch emailed everyone to help her discover a shortage on her drawer. She asked everyone to look at savings books and such as customers came in to the branches, since she was short $1,650. I imagine she thought she'd given a customer cash and forgotten to write up the withdrawal slip.

Today, a manager emailed everyone a crime alert for a pair of quick change artists that have been hitting area businesses. Our branch manager explained that the teller's short drawer was because of the woman of the pair.
                              /eyebrow raises

There's at least one quick-change scammer criss-crossing the Immoral Fairyland. She goes from one end of the state to the other and back again trying this scam at various stores. She buys something small, pays with a large bill, and then tries to get the cashier to exchange bills for other ones. She showed up at the swamp recently but left unsuccessful. However she did hit a Walmart near us for nearly two grand.

She's been caught on camera with a guy, but apparently visited my store alone.

If you are still where you indicate you are, there's a chance this may be the same person.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X