This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You gotta be freakin' kidding me!

Last Thursday, late AM or early PM: I call in to get my schedule past that day, since it wasn't ready when I left the last time and I needed to know when I could schedule something. Manager on other end replies that my next day is Sunday the 3rd, 7-11PM. Friday comes around and I prepare to relax, secure in the knowledge that I have a nice two-day weekend ahead of me.

Today, about 3:10 PM: I'm watching videos and starting to think that nothing could possibly go wrong with this day. Then the phone rings. I recognize a manager's name on the caller ID.

Ah, frick, this can't be good.

"Hey, [Charles], did you know you're supposed to be at work?"
    "Uh... no, I was told my next day was tomorrow, 7-11 PM."
    "Um..... no, I'm looking at the schedule right now, it says here [Charles] from 3-8."
    "All I know is, I called last Thursday morning and a manager told me I didn't have to come in until tomorrow."
    "Who told you that?"
    "Probably [name of a manager]."
    "You should have read it yourself blah blah blah so is there any reason you can't come in today?"
    "No..."
    "Good, then come as soon as you can."

RAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

I do the few short tasks I'd been putting off under the assumption I had more time to do them, change my clothes, off I go. 25 minutes from the phone call and I'm on the clock (actually it was probably more like 32, because their clocks are majorly slow). Somehow, I don't get written up, but my work gets nitpicked to death, and since I didn't really hear over the phone what my schedule would be, I didn't even know when I was off.

Oh, and I'm still on closing shift tomorrow. That part wasn't necessarily a mistake.

While I was there, I checked the now-updated schedule.

Good news: I'm off Independence day and the day after it.

Bad news: I'm off every other day through at least next Thursday too.
    Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

since it wasn't ready when I left the last time

You should have read it yourself
    Those two statements should be brought to the attention of your manager. If the schedule's not up when you leave, then how is it your fault if (a) the schedule wasn't posted when it was supposed to be? and (b) you called and had someone read it to you and (c) someone very likely changed the schedule and didn't tell anyone it was changed?
    Last edited by MoonCat; 07-04-2016, 11:36 PM.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      Those two statements should be brought to the attention of your manager. If the schedule's not up when you leave, then how is it your fault is (a) the schedule wasn't posted when it was supposed to be? and (b) you called and had someone read it to you and (c) someone very likely changed the schedule and didn't tell anyone it was changed?
      Sounds like a good way to get rid of somebody for no particular reason.

Think very hard: have you pissed off anybody important lately?
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Those two statements should be brought to the attention of your manager. If the schedule's not up when you leave, then how is it your fault if (a) the schedule wasn't posted when it was supposed to be? and (b) you called and had someone read it to you and (c) someone very likely changed the schedule and didn't tell anyone it was changed?
        It was probably up by Thursday night, but I was in a hurry to leave that night because it was late and that thing I had to schedule ended up early on Friday morning (and I ended up not going to bed until 1AM anyway, so eh). I also thought that since I already knew my next day (remember, I called before my shift that day), I had no reason to read it then... oops.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Sounds like a good way to get rid of somebody for no particular reason.

Think very hard: have you pissed off anybody important lately?
        It's hard to tell, because so many managers there are at least slightly angry most of the time. You've got the clock- and policy-wacher who times my hand washes in minutes and seconds and is adamant that I don't use too many paper towels to dry, the guy who thinks I should be able to do three things at once, the closing manager who's literally a satanist and so probably hates me just for being a Christian, the other closing manager who may or may not be a satanist but really likes to mess with me anyway, and the big boss who probably wants to be nice and friendly but constantly has head office breathing down her neck.

The one who read me my schedule was either the clock-watcher or the scheduling manager who I never interact with because she's always on opening shift; I suspect it was the clock-watcher since the scheduling manager should know better what she wrote.
        Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Comment

Working...
        X