Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what's weird about this? When I was a kid this stuff never came out in June or July, not until maybe midway through August. There was no school website for you to look up what supplies you'd need for a specific class, so you had to wait until the first week of school for the teacher to tell you what kind of notebook and other stuff they wanted you to have. A lot of supplies weren't actually purchased until early September. The stores survived and life went on.

Now I seen ads in late June yelling about 'back to school sales.' WTF.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      You know what's weird about this? When I was a kid this stuff never came out in June or July, not until maybe midway through August. There was no school website for you to look up what supplies you'd need for a specific class, so you had to wait until the first week of school for the teacher to tell you what kind of notebook and other stuff they wanted you to have. A lot of supplies weren't actually purchased until early September. The stores survived and life went on.

Now I seen ads in late June yelling about 'back to school sales.' WTF.
      And this was kind of my point of my OP. I am soooo glad I do not have to do the BTS thing anymore (12 years now).

AND as Moon Cat stated back in my day we did not have things like

You MUST have 5 red folders, 5 green folders, 4 blue notebooks, 2 green notebooks, 2 red notebooks, a SPECIFIC set of crayons, a dump truck of a specific writing instruments, 6 blue folders, 3 3-ring binders each one a different color, 5 pocket folders to go into said binders, a specific number of lined loose leaf pages, some complex pocket calculator, a dump truck of Kleenex, etc.

just to go to school on the VERY first day requires children to have a large wheelie suitcase just to carry all of the stuff they now "require" for school.

That is just the partial list that I remember from 12 years ago.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

We don't do BTS at the fabric store, but we've got Autumn and some Halloween stuff up already.

My son is starting High School in September, and I haven't gotten any information from the school yet. I hope we get it soon; I don't want to wait until the last minute.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          We don't do BTS at the fabric store, but we've got Autumn and some Halloween stuff up already.

My son is starting High School in September, and I haven't gotten any information from the school yet. I hope we get it soon; I don't want to wait until the last minute.
          I hate to say this but visit the schools website. back 11 - 14 years ago my DD's high school had not only school supplies listed but the website could also display progress reports and grades.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Went to Cracker Barrel for lunch the other day. They have their Halloween display up.

Comment

Quoth computeraide View Post
              Went to Cracker Barrel for lunch the other day. They have their Halloween display up.
              My store usually gets their first displays of Halloween candy around mid-August. Somehow, I shouldn't be thinking of ghouls n' goblins when it's NINETY DEGREES out.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                Somehow, I shouldn't be thinking of ghouls n' goblins when it's NINETY DEGREES out.
                Don't forget about other popular Halloween characters - it's appropriate to be thinking about the Devil when it's as hot as Hell outside.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  I hate to say this but visit the schools website. back 11 - 14 years ago my DD's high school had not only school supplies listed but the website could also display progress reports and grades.
                  We did, and there's no information yet.
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                    My store usually gets their first displays of Halloween candy around mid-August. Somehow, I shouldn't be thinking of ghouls n' goblins when it's NINETY DEGREES out.
                    And yet when everyone's parading about in their swimsuits,ghoulies seem to spring right to mind...
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                      Don't forget, it's also the worst time of the year for the kids. They don't want to be reminded of unfun stuff like homework and classes!
                      Like in this old Staples commercial.
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

I picked up a notebook & mechanical pencils from Target's BTS last Thursday. While I was surprised to see BTS out already, I couldn't resist looking around. I'm a writer, or so I purport to be, and I like to write down story and character ideas and such. The notebook is a good plastic front one, with a thick back to it, so it'll last me a while. As a sidenote, I did see a woman and her daughter there with a supply list. I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd definitely get stuff done before the craziness hit!
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

On a related note, I like when I'm asked where I work, and when I reply I work IT for a school, they assume I have the Summer off.

...No, wait, you're serious?!?

I have over 100 new desktops to roll out, some I have to wait for until Summer School ends, others until construction is done. Then, I have 18 Chromebook, 2 laptop, and an iPad cart to go through. Not to mention network wiring for one of the labs and 2 new classrooms, and other things I can't remember offhand. And this Summer, I have fewer days to do all of that in, no Summer help like last year, and right now I nor the Superintendent haven't been able to contact the Tech Director for about a month.

I think I'll be near the last 2 weeks of August.
                          Last edited by RichS; 07-15-2016, 01:02 PM. Reason: Can't spell...

Comment

Aaaaaand it begins. Hordes of families clogging up the seasonal department, kids whining, babies screaming, cheerios on the floor courtesy of some Mother Of The Year who brought them from home for her spawn to munch on while in the store. Nonstop calls for backup cashiers. People bitching because we have no air conditioners left, like it's my fault you waited to buy one until the weather forecast called for the hottest, most humid weather of the year,

Pulls from yesterday were massive. I didn't come close to getting them all done. The closers won't finish them either. My give-a-damn's broke. Hakuna Fucking Matata.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                            X