This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any bankers have some insight...

So I am getting calls at work from a certain bank. They ask to speak to big kahuna (rarely get his name right) and insist that all they are allowed to say is that it is not sales related. Seriously? Can you not say it is in regards to an account he has with us? You are not calling his cell, his direct line nor his home. You are calling his assistant's line. Yes that is a bank we deal with however without any information what am I supposed to tell him? Uh someone who purports to be with bank but can't say your name nor say anything else wishes to speak with you? If I challenge them at all they say "well we'll try back at another time". If you want someone to trust you are not a scam this is not the way to go about that.

Unfortunately, privacy laws limit what banks can say to someone who isn't on the account. I think all you can do is take the message and pass it on to the big kahuna. If you're worried it's a scammer, have him call the main bank line, or his contact at the bank, instead of calling them back on the number they give you.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Thanks Ghel!

Comment

I'm not with a bank but it seems that even with privacy laws they could say I'm returning his call or He's expecting my call. They should only be calling him at work if he asked them to. If there is fraud or something they will call the number on file which is usually a home or cell number. I think it's sales or a scam.

Comment

Scammers have been known to say "I'm returning his/her call" or "He's expecting my call".
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I think it's a scam or sales call.
            I've had banks call for others (my parents say) when I answer the phone. They all seem willing to give a name, extension number, whether to reach them at a certain place (the local branch or the 800 customer service number) and an identification number (Please have them call Jane back at the customer care centre, extension 3112 regarding reference number ID3289287). None of that should violate customer privacy and it will still have the message get to right person. I've never had a bank call for someone and refuse to give any detail at all.
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Add my vote for scam or sales. This brings to mind the tactics of certain shady cold-calling telemarketing companies.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

The key is OP's boss has told them to get certain information from the caller before putting them through. Caller is refusing to provide this information, so caller doesn't get put through. Doesn't matter if the caller is a scam, a salesperson, or the President of the United States seeking boss' advice on a major issue.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Actually the boss did not ask for information ahead. However they rarely have time nor the desire to deal with calls that are sales or the like. Part of my job is asking for info. I don't need any private info just an idea of what the call is in regards to. Usually he is not there when they call and the first thing he will ask about a message is "what's it about?"

Comment

People with legitimate business are perfectly fine giving their name, organisation, and contact info so they can be called back. In regards to privacy laws and such: as long as no one is asking for or giving out private information such as "it's about her overdue mortgage payment" or "it's about his urinary tract infection" then you're probably fine.
                    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                      In regards to privacy laws and such: as long as no one is asking for or giving out private information such as "it's about her overdue mortgage payment" or "it's about his urinary tract infection" then you're probably fine.
                      Actually, not quite. Assuming that puddykat is in the US, the bank cannot even verify that the big kahuna has an account with them (or big kahuna's business, if puddykat isn't on the account). It makes leaving messages extremely difficult.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Yup. I'm in the US. I just find it extremely weird that they can't say ANYTHING other than they need to speak with him. It makes it complicated on both sides. The most I get is the bank name, big kahuna's name and they are willing to give their name and callback number. I'll just take a name and callback number I guess. Thanks for all the input!
                        Last edited by pudddykat; 07-13-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                          Actually, not quite. Assuming that puddykat is in the US, the bank cannot even verify that the big kahuna has an account with them (or big kahuna's business, if puddykat isn't on the account). It makes leaving messages extremely difficult.
                          Can you not even say something like 'Hi this is X, from Y bank' in the usa?
                          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

They were giving the name of the bank, but it does seem weird that they wouldn't give their own name.
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                            X