X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold callers

I'm starting to really hate them.

We get probably 4-5 cold calls a day from various services. I would tell you what kinds but most of them won't tell me.
    Caller: Is (bossman) there please?
    Me: I'm afraid he's not available at the moment could I help you with something? - this is always the answer, even if he's sitting 5' from me just working on something quietly at his desk
    Caller: That's ok, I'll call back.
    OR: Can you tell me when's a good time to call back?
    Me: I'm sorry, his schedule is really unpredictable, did you want to leave a message or send him an email? That's the best way to get a return call.
    Caller: That's ok, I'll call back.

And they do, relentlessly. Very few are nasty, and it's a business number so it's not like I can stop answering or report them for anything, it's just a huge time suck, it distracts me from whatever I was working on, and it won't get them anywhere, ever.

The worst part is, I'm expected to make cold calls as part of my job, and I actually tell people my name, where I'm calling from and what I'm hoping to accomplish. My hit rate is over 80% that will at least let us quote for them. How hard is that?

Me: Is so-and-so there please? Oh no, okay can you tell him it's name from company, I was calling because we do work in your area and I was wondering if he had any questions about the services we provide, or if there were any upcoming jobs that he would want quoted. Could I leave a message for him to call me back?

Novel right? Now how do I teach everyone in the world to do this so they will stop calling back every day and asking for the boss, who will never answer?
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Been there done exactly that. *points at self* guard dog. *looks at avatar* or tiger. You do not get to boss men/women if I smell a sales rat. In my case I say we are a large something company (obfuscation) and that sometimes shuts them down. In other words someone higher than we are makes the call on such things. Oh and for the record little recorded voice you are not my ink vendor. My favorite are the prerecorded calls those I can hang up on right away.

Comment

After the caller has declined your assistance and claims they will call back, could you explain that they will be unable to reach boss without explaining what it is regarding. Something to the effect of, "I'm sorry, I won't be able to connect you to his office without knowing what this is regarding". You're still being professional and pleasant, and "maybe" they'll realize you are the gatekeeper.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

My mom kept getting calls from her bank about something but they'd never say who it was when she wasn't there one time I asked who's calling and they said they'll call back and I just said in a very firm voice "I asked who's calling" then they told me finally.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Working...
        X