This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In retrospect, I'm kind of glad I was fired

Seriously, in retrospect, I should have seen all the warning signs from day one.
    Now, I'd be glad to be out of there in retrospect simply on the premise of if they have a policy that they aren't allowed to tell you why you are being fired, because if they have that shady of a policy, what other dark policies are lurking in the dark? Oh, excuse me, I wasn't fired, I was "released", which I find an interesting choice of euphemisms considering that is what they refer to executions as in "The Giver". Oh, and they made very certain to make sure that I was eligible for rehire and was encouraged to apply for other departments (well, if I'm such a great employee that you are encouraging me to reapply, why the hell are you firing me in the first place?).
    But, let's go back to the warning signs.
    Well, within the first week of working there I learned I was the third person in two years to work that position (and keep in mind that the hiring process takes 3 months if it is pushed through as a high priority), that should have been a warning. I don't know how long the first person was in the position, but the person I replaced literally applied for a transfer to another department the day she was eligible to transfer... that should have been red flag number one.
    Now, what I am calling red flag number two, really is much later, but it is the next one that I should have seen up front rather than having to wait for hindsight, was when one of the senior level managers "took an early retirement". And, overhearing multiple conversations in the break room about how this type of stuff always happens and that most likely this wasn't a voluntary retirement.
    Now, for red flags number 3 through whatever, the stuff that I can only see in retrospect. To fit in with the team is impossible, like literally, I can think of no way that you can fit in. My direct supervisor was very vocal over the fact that the biggest challenge the department faced was getting auditors who were willing to move away from checklists and scripts and be able to work on the fly to get information from the carrier in whatever way works best for the carrier. The field agent that I was supposed to work with thought that the biggest threat to the department was new auditors who didn't want to follow the checklists and scripts that have been proven to be so effective over time. Do you see the problem in this scenario? If I did what my supervisor wanted, my field partner would complain to the department head about how "unprofessional" I was because I was going off script, if I did what my field partner wanted my supervisor would be putting on my employee reviews that I wasn't flexible enough for the position. I really enjoyed the work, and for what it's worth, I agreed with my direct supervisor and was trying to follow his guidance (and the auditors in the other officers loved the fact that I was doing that, they thought that a checklist follower and an off the cuff guy working together would get you the best of both worlds and loved having someone who had a different working style working with them), I respect him greatly. Unfortunately, my supervisor isn't the one who decides if someone is continued past their probationary period, that is the department head, and the department head is listening to the field auditor saying she hates working with me and she wants someone else.
    All I can say, is may God have mercy on the soul of the next person in that position.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Not sure how true it might be in your case, but generally the main reason a place won't tell you why you're being fired is so that you can't come back with a lawsuit claiming any kind of discrimination. Happened to a girl I worked with some years ago, whom I had to represent as a union steward. All they would say is "You're not working out." This way she had no grounds to file against them. Not that she would - she wasn't that kind of person. And there were problems with her, no question. It was only a matter of time in her case.

In any case, I'm sorry you were fired even if it's a blessing in disguise, and I hope you quickly find something better.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
    X